What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dolphins ready to be 2nd Brisbane NRL club

jim_57

Staff member
Why not, it creates tribalism and a point of difference to the Broncos. Something like Redcliffe-Moreton dolphins would be instantly recognisable and establish them as the NRL side for the Moreton bay LGA

Creates tribalism but has no association to anyone other than Redcliffe/Moreton.

I think somewhere between Redcliffe and South Queensland, but that is just me, locals could have different views. It's a tricky one.

Diesel

Referee
In hindsight Redcliffe should've entered with Easts Tigers and another BRL team instead of having the Broncos and the GC Giants. Giving the Coast some time to decide if they'd enter the NSWRL comp instead of being rushed together like they were in 1987. Although from memory only one QLD was able to enter hence GC-Tweed Giants.

Redcliffe would be better off going with Brisbane or South/Queensland as their name but being from the other side of Brisbane I'm not sure what the locals would prefer

johnny plath

Juniors
In hindsight Redcliffe should've entered with Easts Tigers and another BRL team instead of having the Broncos and the GC Giants. Giving the Coast some time to decide if they'd enter the NSWRL comp instead of being rushed together like they were in 1987. Although from memory only one QLD was able to enter hence GC-Tweed Giants.

Redcliffe would be better off going with Brisbane or South/Queensland as their name but being from the other side of Brisbane I'm not sure what the locals would prefer

just as aside, but no biggy but those clubs weren't the financial power houses they are now. Qld didn't get pokies until late 80s early 90s, so these clubs literally were chook raffle and local business sponsor funded. This is why the QRL was having the eyes picked out of its best players by the Sydney clubs and Canberra throughout the 80s, bar a few select (Wally and Geno) who were paid by the QRL to stay with Brisbane Clubs. This is what led to the push for a Brisbane club to play in the Sydney comp - it provided a team where best Brissy players could play in the Sydney comp, get payed well, and not have to leave home to do it.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Dolphins deserve to be in the NRL. The benefits for the Broncos will also be huge. Tribalism is something our game sadly lacks.

davi

Juniors
The biggest criticism about the Gold Coast Tweed Giants/Seagulls is they never really had a identity. NSW rugby league fans viewed it as a QLD team, QLD rugby league fans viewed it as NSW team and geographically it was seen as too mixed. It was a NSW team, and only was viewed a Queensland team when it moved to Carrara and became the Chargers.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
Redcliffe Dolphins has been on Rugby leagues radar for a long time. During the ARL vs Superleague comp ARL was going to put Redcliffe into the 1997 comp if the Southern Queensland Crushers had defected to Superleague.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The lost potential during this period shits me more than to lost chances during Super League!!!

BRL should have been offered 4 spots (from what ive read, they were offered 1) and the NSWRL should have offered to reduce their numbers, renamed the league Australian Rugby League and established an independent commission.

Instead we saw the NSWRL grow their pathetic little empire at the expense of their own sport and this shitty decision still haunts the league today.

flippikat

Bench
The lost potential during this period shits me more than to lost chances during Super League!!!

BRL should have been offered 4 spots (from what ive read, they were offered 1) and the NSWRL should have offered to reduce their numbers, renamed the league Australian Rugby League and established an independent commission.

Instead we saw the NSWRL grow their pathetic little empire at the expense of their own sport and this shitty decision still haunts the league today.

Absolutely. The VFL/AFL saw the need to expand in the late 1980s-early 1990s, and went right for the state capitals - Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide - then doubled-down on WA & SA in the mid '90s with the Dockers & Power.

We could have (and should have) taken the opposite tack - a couple of teams added in Brisbane along with Newcastle in 1988 (No Gold Coast). At that stage we'd also be taking regular games to non-heartland centres like Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, etc.. building the game's following.

Then aim for 2 of Perth, Melbourne North Queensland or Auckland in about 1993-4 - with the other 2 coming later in the 1990s.