What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doncaster

Evenflow

Bench
Yep i'd very pleased with that run Ice for the reasons pointed out and one or two others as well. I'm a bit of a sectionals tragic looking up races dissecting the times and found yours to be interesting.

Your horse ran the quickest last 1200m, 1000m, 800m, 600m, 400m, 200m out of the whole field and when you break that up into sections from each point she ran quicker than the first 2 horses that beat yours home in each of the 1000-800m, 800-600m, 600-400m , 200 to the winning post. The 400-200m was the only section of those that the winner was quicker by .03 (10.87 - 10.90 seconds) Given those 2 had a soft run on or near the rails and yours was camped 3-5 wide the whole race it makes those times even more impressive. Yes, i have too much time on my hands :lol:

She obviously ran further than the other compared to where she was all race and where they were in the run and the only time they ran quicker was the first 200-400m which unfortunately cost your horse the race given she couldn't get across into a decent position. If she had've drawn a decent gate i have no doubt at all yours would've got the money. But that's racing and i'm sure it won't be too long before she salutes again. Any further word on when that'll be and how she pulled up?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Spot on Evenflow, Ice should have been wrapped with the run in what was a pretty handy field.

Ice777

Bench
Thanks heaps for that EF. I usually have a look over the sectionals as they give out copies after the race in the room where you go and watch the replay but for some reason they didn't after last start. Looking at those times only reinforces why we were so rapt with her run.

All things going well we've decided to go ahead with our plans and entered her for the Valley on Saturday in a 1500m 3yo fillies race. As i mentioned in an earlier post she just didn't handle the tight track at her only start there last August, the first thing Newitt said when he jumped off was exactly that and Johnny said we won't be taking her back there but here we are :lol:

It's more of a necessity than anything else because we have to keep her race fit for whatever path race wise John chooses to go and there's not much else suitable around apart from this Saturday. You never know, she might handle it a bit Better now she a bit more mature and had race more race experience but like many horses she just might not handle the Valley. Given the way she's racing and how well she pulled up I'll have a good crack each way if the odds allow but it's a bit of a wait and see.

There's 4 or 5 horses that ran in the Vanity that's in on Saturday as well as Aloha which i think will run fave or close to it. It finished 2nd to Set for fame last start who looks like a very likely type and is pretty good form coming into a race like this. I'm really hoping that doesn't win for the obvious reasons but also because it's another one owned by Gerry Harvey/Singleton who wears those blue silks with the white cross just as Tallow did last start!
:lol:

Last edited:

Evenflow

Bench
Here's the field for Saturday. Your one has drawn well in 3 Ice but like you said she didnt handle the track last time so she may not be a Valley horse. It looks like a very even field and should be a good race. Either way hopefully she pulls up well and the run fittens her up for bigger races ahead.

Is this the only horse you have a share in atm or do you have others as well?

FinalFields: Moonee Valley on Saturday, 13 February 2010
Race 3 1500m - TEAC Flashback Plate 1:25pm
Of $70,000. First $42,700, Second $12,600, Third $6,300, Fourth $3,150, Fifth $1,750.

No. Name Jockey Trainer Barr Wgt

1 Absolute Faith Brad Rawiller John McArdle 3 56.0
2 Salinas Peter G Moody 7 56.0
3 Pins On Ice Steven Arnold Danny O'Brien 8 55.0
4 Aloha Damien Oliver Mick Price 6 55.0
5 Speedy Natalie Peter G Moody 9 55.0
6 Morosi Craig Newitt Marc Conners 2 55.0
7 Miss O'Brien James Winks David Hayes 5 55.0
8 Selma Spur Dale Sutton 4 55.0
9 Hold for Applause Nicholas Hall Michael Kent 1 55.0

Ice777

Bench
I do have a share in a couple more unraced 2yo's Evenflow. One is filly named Lorna's lass (sh*t name i know but it wasn't my pick) which is out of Bianconi and a colt names Divine Prophecy out of Keep the faith.

The filly was meant to have a jump out on Wednesday but she refused to go into the barrier so that didn't happen. She's meant to be going for her barrier certificate today and if she passes that she'll either have her first start in the country at Benalla on Tuesday or Yarra Glen Sunday week. The colt still has a bit of work to do but hopefully he's not too far away. Whether they're up to city class yet we'll just have to wait and see, the vast majority of horses don't so i don't want to get the hopes up. That said even if they don't you can still have a heap of fun running them in the country.

I spoke to John about Faith this morning, he said she's progressing really well and he's very happy with her work. I asked him what he thinks her chances are tomorrow and how he thought she'd handle the Valley this time and he said if it was at Flemington he'd be pretty confident but he personally doesn't think she'll get around it judging by last time.

He said of course he could be wrong and that's only his guess but that's what he thinks. I don't know how much of it hit the Valley but we've also had a fair bit of rain down here in the last 24 hours with maybe some more on the way and seeing as she hasn't been on a wet track track yet that's another unknown.

So all in all that paints a pretty bleak picture :lol: but who knows she might come out and win, either way i just hope she pulls up ok and injury free so we can look to the bigger races ahead.

Good punting tomorrow boys and hope you win plenty.

andrew057

First Grade
Another nice run Ice, congrats.

Looked like she couldn't get the run on the inside around the bend and it left her a bit far back. Came home nicely again, looked a pretty easy run so hopefully she pulls up sound and is good to go again in the coming weeks.

Fein

First Grade
Another nice run Ice, congrats.

Looked like she couldn't get the run on the inside around the bend and it left her a bit far back. Came home nicely again, looked a pretty easy run so hopefully she pulls up sound and is good to go again in the coming weeks.

Spot on.

I'm looking forward to this smart pony hitting Flemington.

Ice777

Bench
Sorry boys first chance i've had to get back. I agree when you said Andrew was spot on Fein because it was summed up perfectly. The plan was to try and jump out quick and either set the pace or sit just off it to give us every chance being one of the first coming round the turn.

Obviously with the speed out of the gates it didn't turn out that way and Brad got stuck mid field and given the way our filly winds up late and the Valley having such a short straight i knew she'd find it tough to win from there. We really needed to be in the front 2 around the turn but that's racing and it just didn't turn out that way.

When Nolan took off from nowhere on Speedy Natalie we and pretty much all of them were left a bit flat footed and she was always going to be hard to catch. Credit where it's due, it was a class ride by Nolan on a very handy horse and they deserved the win for sure.That said i was rapt with the way she kept finding to the line after one stage looking like she'd finish much further back.

*Brad got off and he couldn't have been happier. He said considering it's not her favorite track handle and the way she came home after where he had to settle her he was very happy. He only wished it was at Flemington given she loves the big track with the long straight which really suits her given she does her best work late. Johnny was also rapt with how she went and he said she's pulled up the best she ever has and is the brightest she's ever been in the few days after she's raced so that's pleasing as well.

As you mentioned Fein, we'd love to get back there but there's not much for her at Flemington in the next few weeks. Our only options are a G2 3yo fillies race on Friday night week or a G2 race against the colts the next day at Caulfield. Obviously the race against the fillies would be a much better option and what we prefer but again it's at the Valley which doesn't suit her that well so Johnny is leaning toward Caulfield. She'll be entered for both and he won't decide until he sees the fields. If the fillies race is a deal weaker than the colts that might compensate a bit and justify taking her back to MV.

Either way if she gets through that at this stage we've decided to head the the Australasian Oaks in Adelaide instead of the big races in Sydney. No races are easy to win especially a G1 race but we just thought she'd have a better chance of winning the Oaks in Adelaide as opposed to taking on the 3yo Sydney fillies in their own back yard and even more so their way of going in the clockwise direction.

Many of the horses we've been racing against at this stage will be going to Adelaide included Speedy Natalie so given we know we can be competitive against those horses and the race our way of going we just thought it was the better option at this stage of her career. I'd love to get up to Sydney and give her a start there and if she gets through Adelaide and still wants to race then that's still on the cards but if not we'll tip her our to get her ready for the Spring as John has the opinion that she'll be a better horse in 6 months time.

Anyway boys i hope you're still awake :lol: I just thought i'd let anyone who's interested know everything i know so hopefully she'll get the chocolates again soon and make us some money.

Evenflow

Bench
As has been mentioned already that was a great run again from your filly Ice, i really like the way she toughs out her races and hits the line so strongly. I've got to say at one stage i didn't think she'd get a place but she always keeps finding and never gives in which is a great quality in a racehorse.

Looking at the sectionals your horse ran a quicker last 400m than the winner and second placed horse and given that was the back end of a 1500m race and she was carrying a kilo more than those 2 horses just indicates how much merit was in her run. By the looks of things she'll relish the step up in distance seeing as every race in this prep she does her best work late. I've no doubt at all she has a good race win or more in her and it's encouraging to heat Macardle thinks she'll be an even better horse in 6 months. You wanna sell half your share? :lol:

Thanks for keeping us up to date, it's good to hear how your filly is progressing and having a bit of inside info ;-)

andrew057

First Grade
I see your filly is in both the fillies G2 on Friday and the Caulfield Autumn Classic on Saturday. Be interesting to see where you run her, both races look pretty similar in strength. I noticed Dunn will ride her Saturday if she runs, Brad can't make the weight?

Ice777

Bench
I see your filly is in both the fillies G2 on Friday and the Caulfield Autumn Classic on Saturday. Be interesting to see where you run her, both races look pretty similar in strength. I noticed Dunn will ride her Saturday if she runs, Brad can't make the weight?

She'll be running at tomorrow Andrew. While we wanted to keep her against the fillies, after weighing up the pros and cons of both races we just thought that Caulfield was the slightly better option given her dislike for MV. If we make it to Adelaide we'll be facing most of those fillies in tonights race anyway so we'll wait til then.

We also thought tomorrow over the 1800m would give us alot more answers in regards to if she'll run out a strong 2000m of the Oaks as opposed what the 1600m race would've tonight. Not to mention how she'll run against the colts which will also be a good test for her.

You're right, Brad couldn't make the weight which i'm spewing on. If he could've got to 54kg we'd have been happy to have him ride a half over but he couldn't. Dunn is a fair replacement but Brad's really got to know her in trackwork and how she races and you can't replace that but that's how it goes.

Obviously it's a big step up to G2 company but John said she's been working really well and if she runs up to her best she's a real each way chance. Good luck tomorrow and good punting boys.

andrew057

First Grade
What a top run mate. I thought she had no hope at the bend, but got home brilliantly. She definitely ran it out well. On to bigger and better things after that. Congratulations.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Thought she was going to get up, was a terrific run against the Boys. Where to now Ice over to Adelaide for the Oaks?????

Ice777

Bench
Cheers for that boys it's appreciated. You weren't the only one who didn't think she had a hope on the turn Andrew, she settled beautifully and was sitting exactly where we wanted her to be in the run, until of course the front 2 dropped anchor and we got shuffled back to last. We've gone from thinking we were a massive chance to pretty much no chance at all.

*I still thought if she could get a clear crack at them she'd come home well and finish 4th or 5th, maybe even sneak into 3rd which still would've been a good result but i honestly didn't think she'd come home like that. All things considered we were absolutely rapt with the way she finished off because she really had no right to finish that close.

Dunn got off and he was every bit as happy. As mentioned he said she settled well and was coasting and at that time and even that far out he thought she was going to win. Then when the tempo slowed right up he said "i went from the penthouse to the sh*thouse in 5 seconds lol but the way she was travelling he still thought she could finish the race off well and give her a good prep for the next start.

His exact words were he had no doubt whatsoever she would've won had she not got shuffled back, not maybe would've won but definitely would've won. Watching the race over and over again it's hard to argue with him but that's just a part of racing. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you arent and this time we weren't. The best part about it is we now know she can hold her own at this level and if she stays sound she'll have plenty of other chances in the future.

We were in the room where all connections go after the race where you have a drink and watch the replay where they have it on repeat to see how you're horse ran. David Hayes was standing there next to Johnny and said i'm not giving you the trophy or the prizemoney back but even the winning trainer said how unlucky we were lol**He mentioned he's been on our end too many times to remember but not to worry because he doesn't think it'll be too long before our one wins a nice race. That was good to hear from someone of his standing in the game.

Besides copping a black eye in the run she's pulled up really well again and she's definitely going to Adelaide now hiney. Dunn said she'll eat up the 2000m and should be very hard to beat. Though there's some pretty smart fillies going over as well in My emotion who won the fillies race on Friday night and Speedy Natalie who finished off very well also as well as a few other good ones so she'll have her work cut out.

Providing she gets through that well we're def heading to Sydney for the Arrowfield on Golden Slipper day and again if she pulls up well the AJC Oaks. That'll give her 7 starts this time in which Johnny says is a typical stayers prep then we'll tip her out and give her a good 3-4 month rest and prepare her for the spring.

These next 3 starts are all G1 races and once more we won't know whether she's ready for the step up but on her run the other day she deserves her chance. You'd have to say she'll be a good chance in Adelaide given she'll be running against the fillies she has been and shown she's very competitive against them and will run our way of going.

The 2 Sydney races will be another step up again taking on the best up there with your way of going but i really hope we make it up there as i'd love to have her running in what will be a ripper Autumn carnival. Will keep you updated on her progress.

Evenflow

Bench
Yet another cracking run Ice your filly just doesn't know how to give in. As mentioned she was terribly unlucky and again i've no doubt at all she would've won if she hadn't copped a check and got shuffled back like that. She got caught right in the middle of it whle Extra Zero was on the outside and missed every bit of the interference.

I'm not taking anything away from the winner, i'm just saying considering your horse lost a good 5 lengths due to what happened while at the same time EZ didn't lose anything so considering the margin was still only about a head i think it's fair to say with any luck in running yours would've won quite well. But as you said that's racing and sometimes you get the luck and sometimes you don't.

Sectionals time! :lol: Yet again i see your horse again ran the fastest last 400m and 200m in the race and pretty much all the races on the day. Obviously the step up in distance didn't hurt her with the way she finished the race off and considering the work she had to do getting through the field from near last makes her run even better IMO, she's just a real little goer. I've got no doubt at all she's going to be a group winner and hopefully for you it'll be one of the 3 races she mentioned.

Will B. Rawliller be jumping back on her or will Dunn keep the ride? Thanks for the thorough updates as well i find it really interesting hearing what happens behind the scenes.

Ice777

Bench
Cheers for your thoughts EF. I never know if i'm just being bias towards the horse so it's always good to hear objective points of view. To answer your question, as very good as Dunn's ride and said he'd like to keep it Brad is definitely sticking with her. As mentioned the only reason he didn't take the ride on her last week is he just couldn't make the weight.

Brad made a commitment to stick with her after his first start on her and nothing has changed. He even rang johnny when he found out she wouldn't be running in the fillies race on the Friday night last week to make sure he'll still keep the ride for the rest of her prep lol but he needn't have worried because there's not one of us that want him off and i personally wouldn't want anyone but him on her. He's a very under-rated hoop and IMO there's not many more if any more dedicated and hard working jockey's (at least in Victoria) than him.

As for the girl she'll be having a jump out on Tuesday and touchwood if all goes well with that she'll be floated to Adelaide on Thursday to give her plenty of time to settle in over there before the race Saturday week.

Evenflow

Bench
Acceptances are in for the Oaks and i see your filly has drawn 11 Ice. No doubt you'd have liked to have drawn a bit closer in but i dare say you'll come into 9 with the emergencies not getting a run so she should get every chance given it's over 2000m. The top rating horses are drawn outside you as well so that's not a bad thing either.

How's your filly been since her last start and how has she been working?

$300,300 GROUP 1 SCHWEPPES OAKS (2006M)
3YO Fillies. Set Weights 56.0kg No Claims.

1 Linky Dink (John P Thompson) P Gatt 13
2 My Emotion (Michael Kent) Steven King 12
3 No Evidence Needed (John P Thompson) D Nikolic 19
4 Absolute Faith (John McArdle) B Rawiller 11
5 I'm Discreet (Richard Jolly) C Lever 2
6 Speedy Natalie (Peter G Moody) D Dunn 4
7 Salinas (Peter G Moody) L Currie 14
8 Aloha (Mick Price) D Oliver 6
9 Small Minds (John P Thompson) Dean Holland 17
10 Pins On Ice (Danny O'Brien) J M Winks 18
11 Nakaaya (Mick Price) C Newitt 7
12 Artistic Rock (David Payne) J Holder 10