What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't resign Slater?

Bman26

Juniors
I'm a Melbourne Storm fan and have been since day 1 and up until 6 months ago I would've thought what I am about write would be utter blasphemy but....

We will be better off if we don't resign Slater.

His body is starting fail him (slowing down & injury prone) yet he shows no interest in giving up rep footy which means we are running a gauntlet with our 3 best players every year, except it's worse because as they age they are more likely to get injured. By not resigning him it also allows us to stagger the loss of the big 3 and offset it by using the money he was on cleverly.

We are desperately weak in the outside backs, we have 1 first grade standard winger (Koro) and 1 first grade standard centre (Chambers), in fact these 2 are better than your average.

A potential backline for us next year if we keep Slater would be..

Slater
Koro
Hunt
Chambers
Fonua/Young T/Kennar

If we were to not resign Slater and invest wisely we could have something like

Munster (more on him to come)
Koro
Kahu/Hopoate/Simona
Chambers
Topou/Hopoate/Gray/Faifai Loa

That's a more rounded backline plus there would be some leftover cash from Slaters coin versus what two of those would be on we could chase something we desperately desperately need, an enforcer, someone who people don't like to run at / makes good aggressive/explosive meters - J Bro makes huge meters but not explosive meters.

The other benefit to the above is that we can offer Munster the first grade game time he is worthy of - he has a few things to work on but look at what Bellyache did with Slater, he can develop this kid into a star. And by giving him first grade game time it means he isn't likely to leave for a side who need a good fullback.

Would love some constructive discussion on this.

Bman26

Juniors
Hopoate who?

Will hopoate has re-signed with eels

Has he? I was using a foxsports article for the off-contracts from about 2 weeks ago - was the most recent one I could find and I really couldn't be bothered trawling through the confirmed signings thread...

Parra Pride

Coach
Hoppa had apparently agreed to stay with us weeks back, but nothing official has come out about it at this stage.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It'd be a pr disaster for you guys to push any of the big 3 out. However it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to let Billy head off to the UK for an ESL retirement package if he was that way inclined.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I'd much rather they all left at once tbh. We'd have a monstrous cash influx, and could make some of the biggest signings in history. No one in the league, or even outside of it, could withstand our chequebook. Just make sure we re-sign the big three to coaching positions to make the transition smoother.

Honestly, as sad as i would be to see them go, it is exciting to finally be able to get some big name recruiting done.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Melbourne Storm made the mistake of releasing Inglis back in 2010 when the salary cap drama was happening. For one, Greg Inglis is 3-4 years younger than Slater, meaning in terms of longevity, he was the one they should've signed. Also, look how brilliant GI has been for Souths playing in his preferred FB position. The thought of playing someone as talented as GI out of position, and, choosing the older player, Billy Slater, over him, is absolutely ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, it was a good problem for Melbourne to have, deciding on which of them to keep, but 90% of clubs would've chosen Inglis.

Bman26

Juniors
Melbourne Storm made the mistake of releasing Inglis back in 2010 when the salary cap drama was happening. For one, Greg Inglis is 3-4 years younger than Slater, meaning in terms of longevity, he was the one they should've signed. Also, look how brilliant GI has been for Souths playing in his preferred FB position. The thought of playing someone as talented as GI out of position, and, choosing the older player, Billy Slater, over him, is absolutely ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, it was a good problem for Melbourne to have, deciding on which of them to keep, but 90% of clubs would've chosen Inglis.

And for mine it would've been the wrong choice, as good as Inglis has been it has only ever been in patches, when it comes to consistency and for lack of a better term, involvement, he doesn't hold a candle Slater.

The aforementioned consistency and involvement are what makes Slater a cut above but also make his errors stand out more, we're so used to him catching that bomb in spectacular fashion (Others have better technique undoubtedly), scooping up a grubber at full speed that when he makes a mistake it stands out.

Prior to the start of this year I would've traded Slater for absolutely nobody from 2010-2014, each player had periods of peak form but none matched what he brought to the team - Hayne probably came the closest but what sets Slater apart from Hayne who is also brilliantly consistent and also very involved (not by design but by default due to the support cast) is the way he organises the defence, catches bombs on the full, turns up just in time to put a ball over the dead ball line and wins all the 1% battles he can.

In saying all of that, I feel he is definitely on the downward now and there would be a better way to invest the funds he will tie up. An absolute legend of a player, best fullback in the world from 2008-2014, golden boot, Dally M, premiership winner, origin winner, he has done it all but the sun is setting....

EDIT: Hopefully in 2016 he proves me wrong, scores 15+ tries and generally returns to being the player who I have loved watching for 12 and a bit years now....

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'd much rather they all left at once tbh. We'd have a monstrous cash influx, and could make some of the biggest signings in history. No one in the league, or even outside of it, could withstand our chequebook. Just make sure we re-sign the big three to coaching positions to make the transition smoother.

Honestly, as sad as i would be to see them go, it is exciting to finally be able to get some big name recruiting done.

You'll still be limited to the same salary cap as the rest of the comp. Sure you'll have a massive chunk available at once but you'll need to replace three champion players with it, it'll only translate to massive spending power if you've got home grown guys already stepping into the big three's boots and you can funnel that cash into purchases that aren't just filling their spots.

Billythekid

First Grade
You'll still be limited to the same salary cap as the rest of the comp. Sure you'll have a massive chunk available at once but you'll need to replace three champion players with it, it'll only translate to massive spending power if you've got home grown guys already stepping into the big three's boots and you can funnel that cash into purchases that aren't just filling their spots.

None of them are at their peak anymore though. I don't think we will be able to replace the 3 of them and you'd be crazy if you did but hopefully some of that cash leads to us being stronger in other positions. We already have guys like Bromwich coming through who are going to be stars. You don't need to have 3 genuine super stars like the big 3 to be a top 3, in fact it's basically impossible to do. The main thing to me is making sure we get a decent half that we can build the team around somewhat.

If anything though i think the big thing will be replacing Bellamy. We will lose Slater, Cronk, Smith and Bellamy all in a relatively short period. What the club will look like after that is anyones guess. I don't think we're guarantee to have a Broncos like slump post Lockyer but it's not that unlikely.

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
It won't happen, and I'll tell you why.
It's well publicised that Craig Bellamy (the coach) intends on retirement in 2017.
He's not so interested in the succession plan but rather the dynasty.
If Bellamy does coach on, it willbe with another club for a paycheque.

Could see someone like Salford throw 1.5 at him to come to England and being slater and smith with.

They are going to ride together and die together, you watch.

Funny this has been mentioned as I have the same thoughts...we need to let one of the big three go to free up cap for some backs.

Chambers, Munster and Koroibete look strong but Fonua, Kennar and Hunt are still developing and the forwards look strong now.

Slater would free up a lot of coin to get some depth in the team..

Noa

First Grade
Facts of rugby league is fullback is much easier to replace then 7 or 9.

Facts of rugby league is fullback is much easier to replace then 7 or 9.

Agree...We have Munster and Hampton is not the answer to replacing Cronk...Griffin will eventually get Smith's possie if he can stay injury free.

Bman26

Juniors
Agree...We have Munster and Hampton is not the answer to replacing Cronk...Griffin will eventually get Smith's possie if he can stay injury free.

I thought I read somewhere that Billy Brittain was being earmarked for Smith's role?

Anyway the weekend highlighted that we are well and truly missing a few outside backs, the fact that the warriors can have such quality backups and we have to play spuds as first choice players means we need to re-balance the way the $$ is spent else the lean years we are expecting post big 3 start now.

I thought I read somewhere that Billy Brittain was being earmarked for Smith's role?

Anyway the weekend highlighted that we are well and truly missing a few outside backs, the fact that the warriors can have such quality backups and we have to play spuds as first choice players means we need to re-balance the way the $$ is spent else the lean years we are expecting post big 3 start now.

Agree...playing Harris and K Bromwich is desperate times and cannot continue next year.

Packy

Bench
Regardless of footy ability he is too important commercially to go before he chooses.

The question I have to ask is, can Cam Munster play anywhere else other than full back? If Slater is at the back & of course Mann is at St George it does leave a stop open for him.

Whether that is even a good thing is my question?

JF

Cloudsurfer

Juniors

Lol their 'quality' player back-ups did them well this season didn't they? :sarcasm:

KOS - "Agree...playing Harris and K Bromwich is desperate times and cannot continue next year."

At least the 'spuds' who backed up in those positions had quality defence, sure hands, and few errors. Might not have set the world on fire but you know the ball and the line is as safe as it ever was....hardly desperate times imo. Kudos to those utility players!