What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doust Retires at end of 2018 season

Life's Good

Coach
We've also learnt from members within this forum privy to inside information that the search for a new CEO will be an independent search for somebody outside the club....,
I’m still sceptical of this. Our hopes, at times, were raised in the last 6 years about coaching appointments. For me it’s all about a bigger clean out from the board so we are rid of ‘ the jobs for the boys’.
Not saying there isn’t hope that this will happen but I will keep my hopes in check for now.

BennyV

Referee
Very optimistic TRVR. However, this could also be simply a rolling over of the board to keep the status quo - Doust simply steps back to the Board or Directors, Michael McDonald takes up the CEO role, Millward moves up the change and the wheel keeps turning, except that the fans rejoice because they think the issue is solved with Doust going.

OR it gets worse - Doust steps away as Gordon comes on board, fills the BOD with Illawarra lackeys and we lose our identity altogether.

AJ61

Juniors
Fair enough, but Brian Johnston is already the Chairman of the Dragons. Why would he demote himself to be CEO?

CEO is the coveted role, not Chairman.

A CEO is responsible for creating the direction & fostering the culture of an entity.

The Chairman of the Board is an elected position by the board members.

Non-Executive Directors may sit on a number of Boards with different organisations.

A Board's fundamental role is Governance & Compliance, to protect the interest of stakeholders.

I'd much prefer a CEO salary over Directors fees.

blacksafake

First Grade
Five pages of responses so far to this news & not one person has declared their disappointment. Says it all really.
Should only be positive, however as others have already said If the board remains the same & the new ceo is a yes man it will only be a step sideways.
Time to take this great club forward.

blacksafake

First Grade
Very optimistic TRVR. However, this could also be simply a rolling over of the board to keep the status quo - Doust simply steps back to the Board or Directors, Michael McDonald takes up the CEO role, Millward moves up the change and the wheel keeps turning, except that the fans rejoice because they think the issue is solved with Doust going.

OR it gets worse - Doust steps away as Gordon comes on board, fills the BOD with Illawarra lackeys and we lose our identity altogether.
Hope you’re wrong Benny

gregstar

Referee
giphy.gif

TomRedVRiver

Bench
It's all happening, gang! 4th paragraph.

Dragons CEO Peter Doust quits after almost two decades with St George Illawarra

Michael Carayannis, The Daily Telegraph
February 1, 2018 7:59pm
OUTGOING Dragons boss Peter Doust’s final gift to St George Illawarra will be finalising the club’s new ownership structure with WIN Corporation.

The Daily Telegraph broke the news on Thursday afternoon of Doust’s decision to sensationally quit the club after almost two decades at the helm.

He will see out the remainder of his contract, staying on until the end of St George Illawarra’s season.

While Doust is expected to take a back seat to some of the long-term decisions regarding the club, his main task will be finalising the deal with WIN — who intend to purchase Illawarra’s share of the joint venture. The company’s multimillion-dollar owner Bruce Gordon is in Sydney with Doust now free to focus on fast-tracking the deal to sell-off the Steelers’ remaining share.

811812f8b09ed33c75a22bd2c81394bd

Doust has been in charge of the Dragons since 2000.
Doust called representatives from WIN to inform them of his decision. His stepping down could force a raft of changes within the Dragons organisation.

He is expected to retain a place on the respective Dragons, St George Leagues and Football club boards, at least in the short-term.

But his decision to move on could see a shake-up of the Dragons management structure.

The first major sign of a generational change at the club happened last year when Warren Lockwood stood down as chairman after 16 years and was replaced by Brian Johnston.

Doust and Johnston have been the only chief executives since the joint venture came into being in late 1998. Doust replaced the former Dragons and Kangaroos player in 2000.

The longest serving boss in the game said he had come to the decision during the Christmas break.

ed35fdd77abb72ce09ce547abfbc2a96

Dragons supporters hold up a banner reading “Oust Doust” at Kogarah Oval.
“Essentially after 25 years in health care and 18 years in rugby league, I am at the stage in my life where I would like the time to pursue other interests. Rugby league, by its very nature, never stops,” Doust said in a statement.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the role, and am extremely passionate about the club and remain focused on its objectives before I finish up. However, I don’t believe that now is the time to reflect on my time at the Dragons.”

The Dragons will start the process of replacing Doust at the club’s next board meeting later this month. WIN will want to have a say regarding who runs the club — especially if they are given the chairmanship as expected. Gordon’s son Andrew already sits on the St George Illawarra board.

A polarising figure among Dragons fans, who have brandished the “Oust Doust” sign at games for more than a decade, Doust’s greatest achievement was no doubt luring supercoach Wayne Bennett to the club. That culminated in the Dragons’ 2010 premiership win — breaking a drought lasting more than 30 years.

His late father Laurie was also a long serving director of St George and played a key role in the club’s 11-year premiership run. Johnston paid tribute to Doust.

“His loyalty to the club, the staff and players has always been unwavering and we are very fortunate to have had him leading our club as CEO,” Johnston said.

“Rugby league is a very challenging and dynamic environment and he deserves enormous credit for his leadership, trust and resilience.”

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Five pages of responses so far to this news & not one person has declared their disappointment. Says it all really.
Should only be positive, however as others have already said If the board remains the same & the new ceo is a yes man it will only be a step sideways.
Time to take this great club forward.

Let me accomodate you Sire!

I am deeply distressed & saddened ...................( allow me to reach for the tissues ) ...... that he staying for the whole year!

Oust Doust!!!!

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
Wait, is he remaining on the Board?

Possible that he is being kept around to transition the probable WIN deal (perhaps he was tapped), meaning his in the room in his role and more to the point, his influence will continue for the remainder of 2018......

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Dragons have five robust forwards, two good halves and a promising fullback but little else including probably our worst ever coach equal to Price and Young and three quarter line. Can anyone think of a weaker three quarter line?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
you couldn't be bothered posting this in the existing doust thread?

5da6c746-7634-4470-aa80-4cab1cf9efa1.png