What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doyle looking for answers

Big Marn

Juniors
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...y-as-he-looks-for-answers-for-failed-campaign

Warriors managing director Jim Doyle says the club's end-of-season review will leave no stone unturned in an effort to develop a "winning culture" at the struggling club.

A season that began with so much promise and expectation ended in all too familiar fashion on Sunday as the Warriors lost their last four games to miss out on the top eight for the fifth year in a row.

Ever since the club dropped out of finals contention with defeat to the Wests Tigers last week, much of the focus has been on whether coach Andrew McFadden has a future at Mt Smart.

But as the Warriors' long-suffering supporters mull over another campaign full of empty promises, Doyle insists everyone at the club will come under scrutiny as he and owner Eric Watson try to pinpoint where it all went wrong.

"For us it's about getting it right. We've got to look at what needs to improve and make the decisions necessary," Doyle said in a interview on the club's website.

"From our point of view - and that's Eric, obviously myself and the whole board - our desire is to create a successful club and there's no reason why we shouldn't.

"We've fallen short this year as we've done before but we'll be doing every single thing humanly possible to make sure we improve for next year."

The end-of-season review is being led by Warriors board member Owen Eastwood, who has a background in high-performance sport.

Doyle said Eastwood's previous experience working with Premier League football clubs Chelsea and Manchester City and the South African cricket team means they have the perfect person for the role.

"We'll interview players obviously starting from this week, we'll interview and talk to all the coaching staff and the strength and conditioning staff and mental skills people," Doyle added.

"We'll use his (Eastwood's) expertise over the next two or three weeks and have a look all across the organisation, all across the club at what we need to do to get that winning culture and get success moving forward."

Bolstered by the signing of star duo Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Issac Luke, expectation was high both inside and outside of the club that Warriors would finally end their finals drought.

Instead, 2016 followed a similar pattern to the previous four campaigns with a dismal start followed by good results through the Origin period only to collapse at the back-end of the year.

McFadden's job wasn't helped when Tuivasa-Sheck suffered a season-ending knee injury in April.

But Doyle refused to make excuses and admitted the team failed to deliver.

"Like everyone, all of our sponsors, all of our members, all of our fans, we're all disappointed that we're out of the season before the finals series.

"That's five years in a row and for us that's not our expectations. We had a really good roster we set out this year to make progress, to get into the (top) eight, to make finals football because we want to ultimately get that prize of winning the premiership."

The Warriors are notoriously slow starters and lived up to that reputation by losing their opening three games this year and winning just three of their first eight.

Doyle said reversing that trend was at the top of the agenda heading into next year.

"We've got to get ourselves in the position where we start the season well so we're not desperately relying at the end on winning those last couple of games to get into the finals."

Doyle said the season had not been a complete write-off with the club recording increases in crowd numbers, memberships and TV ratings.

But, ultimately, it's on the field where the club needs to produce results.

"I feel personally disappointed," Doyle added. "We're working really hard but unfortunately it's not resulting in two points on a weekly basis."

Iron Lion

Juniors
Nice Mr Doyle, you and Eric have 5 years of material to work through.

Working hard is nice but id expect working smarter would be where the two points on a weekly basis would come from. First thing I would do if I was you is focus 80% of what you do at the club on the players skills set. The Warriors lost the majority of the games because they just simply could not perform basic fundamental football skills and other teams simply wait them out in a game.

Also select a coaching staff that doesn't select players in rotating positions every week. MADNESS.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
For once I 100% agree with the Lion. When this team gets the basic stuff right (and they do at times, just nowhere near often enough), they win games. We don't need tactical wizardry.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yup, hard to argue with the Lion there. The ability to actually catch and pass, hold defensive structures and provide solidarity through selection would probably get us to the 8 on their own - without bothering to sign anyone else.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Nearly all of what Jim Doyle has said in that article is expected (e.g. dissapointment, rebuilding, promise). The only interesting thing there, is this Owen Eastwood who from the sounds of it, will have a major input into shaping the club going forward. I wonder if Eastwood would be used as a scapegoat for Doyle if Cappy somehow keeps his job?.. Im defintely getting ahead of myself, just a thought.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
The management talk the talk, the coach talks the talk, the players talk the talk. Let's see some action.

Big Marn

Juniors
Here's a left field suggestion.

Do a significant part of the offseason in Australia.
Now before you laugh, hear me out.
It is well known that the Warriors are very slow starters and this means we are on the back foot from the get go.
I reckon half of the reason for this is that the NRL season starts when it is still bloody hot in Australia.
Our team travels to Oz, gets fatigued too early as we arent able to deal with the heat and we fold.
If we actually trained in the conditions we were going to play in, the players might be better equipped to deal with the heat and at least be on a level playing field.
Its hard enough to beat the Aussie teams away as it is, without being at a significant disadvantage before you even set foot on the field.
Yes it would cost money for accommodation etc, plus time away from family, but they need to change something up as whatever they are doing in the offseason at the moment, doesnt work.

Every off season they say they are going to be fitter than ever

They need to be mentally tough. Ive read some of the off season mental toughness Bellemy does in Melbourne. He breaks them up top

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Here's a left field suggestion.

Do a significant part of the offseason in Australia.
Now before you laugh, hear me out.
It is well known that the Warriors are very slow starters and this means we are on the back foot from the get go.
I reckon half of the reason for this is that the NRL season starts when it is still bloody hot in Australia.
Our team travels to Oz, gets fatigued too early as we arent able to deal with the heat and we fold.
If we actually trained in the conditions we were going to play in, the players might be better equipped to deal with the heat and at least be on a level playing field.
Its hard enough to beat the Aussie teams away as it is, without being at a significant disadvantage before you even set foot on the field.
Yes it would cost money for accommodation etc, plus time away from family, but they need to change something up as whatever they are doing in the offseason at the moment, doesnt work.

I like the thinking, but we used to lose regularly when it was Eden Park first up as well. And look at this year - we started piss poorly and actually came back later in the game - when if we were spent in hot conditions, we'd be going the other way. It's mental. We don't switch on until about halfway through the season when we know our season is on the line unless we start producing results. Happened during the Cleary years as well, but we managed to finish stronger than we do now.

jaseg

Juniors
Anyone wondering why Dragons/Knights trialled captains challenge and Warriors/Eels didn't?

Rumour has it that someone at the club said no to the NRL, still pissy about certain ref/bunker decisions...

lol

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, I heard that too. Because it only happens to us, eh! I think it shows up in instances like this, when Shaun bristles at actually very fair comments from Fittler etc. We've got this awful oh woe is us, when the chips are down we quit, f**k the haters sort of crap (Lisone actually posted this exact quote, f**k the haters).

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I like the thinking, but we used to lose regularly when it was Eden Park first up as well. And look at this year - we started piss poorly and actually came back later in the game - when if we were spent in hot conditions, we'd be going the other way. It's mental. We don't switch on until about halfway through the season when we know our season is on the line unless we start producing results. Happened during the Cleary years as well, but we managed to finish stronger than we do now.

There's one factor you miss from that first game- it was pretty hot and we got flogged on the first half yes- but in the second half (which we actually won) the field went into the grandstands shadow and it would've cooled off significantly. So I think this supports Marn's theory- fitness wasn't the issue as much as heat conditioning.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I honestly don't think fitness is the problem. We haven't been consistently run over in the second half this year. If anything our second halves have been stronger for the most part.