What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragon juniors

I'm the last person you should ask to justify Millward's decisions. Millward has stated he wants Field for fullback in 2018. Dufty, like Mann and Milne do not get a mention in Millward's future plans.
Millward isn't the coach he doesn't pick the team so what he thinks and what happens are to different things.

He needs to stick to his job and not continually question the coaches decisions.

possm

Coach
Millward isn't the coach he doesn't pick the team so what he thinks and what happens are to different things.

He needs to stick to his job and not continually question the coaches decisions.
Mann and Milne hardly given much first grade time all year - because they are not in Millward's plan. Signed Aitken, so persist with Aitken even though Milne could do a far better job.

So you have based their non selections on Millwards wishes.

Lafai has proven what he can do when fit so he deserves a spot.
Aitken his selection at times can be questioned but that again is Marys decision.

Mann is getting an oppurtunity now to show his wears in the halves and may just play his way into them even when Widdop comes back.

Milne either be's patient or he leaves but he can be replaced internally.

I know you have an issue with Millward.

denis preston

First Grade

IMO young Marsters is not as far off first grade as many people think. Millward has huge wraps on this kid & keeps saying this kid has got it all

Yes and this is the type of thinking Millward's judgement. Masters is only 17 and has not been tested in reserve grade let alone first grade.

possm , Emu 62 stated this not Millward. Can you give the poor bloke a little break !!

Carlton

Juniors
I'm the last person you should ask to justify Millward's decisions. Millward has stated he wants Field for fullback in 2018. Dufty, like Mann and Milne do not get a mention in Millward's future plans.

I know what you are saying, my point is we are pinning our hopes on an untried player when we have a top class fullback already on the books.

possm

Coach
So you have based their non selections on Millwards wishes.

Lafai has proven what he can do when fit so he deserves a spot.
Aitken his selection at times can be questioned but that again is Marys decision.

Mann is getting an oppurtunity now to show his wears in the halves and may just play his way into them even when Widdop comes back.

Milne either be's patient or he leaves but he can be replaced internally.

I know you have an issue with Millward.
Hey, Lafai is not in Millward's plan however, I would think he will have to try and accommodate him mainly because he is playing very well. There was no reason to replace him and there is no local junior busting down the door at left centre.

Aitken has performed poorly a few games in a row and not replaced unless injured. Milne is a far better right centre than Aitken.

The Doc

Juniors
Mann and Milne hardly given much first grade time all year - because they are not in Millward's plan. Signed Aitken, so persist with Aitken even though Milne could do a far better job.
Dude please stop!
WTF does game time a player gets have to do with Millward?
The coach picks the team that plays... not the recruitment guy.
Your issue with Millward is getting silly dude.
If Milne or Mann or dugan for that matter spend the rest of the year in reserves with no taste of first grade its the COACHES doing.
Stop trying to find a way to point every single problem Millwards way!
Its really getting boring dude.

possm

Coach
Dude please stop!
WTF does game time a player gets have to do with Millward?
The coach picks the team that plays... not the recruitment guy.
Your issue with Millward is getting silly dude.
If Milne or Mann or dugan for that matter spend the rest of the year in reserves with no taste of first grade its the COACHES doing.
Stop trying to find a way to point every single problem Millwards way!
Its really getting boring dude.
Ok Doc, I'll stop. I can see you just don't get it. Enough to say we have a difference of opinion. Millward is ambitious but unfortunately does not have very much talent.

How on earth would you know what Millwards plans are unless you have actually asked him.

Again you throw up a whole bunch of assumptions with no evidence to back any of it up.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors

If that's Milward's plan, then he's off his rocker.
No Dufty, Milne or Mann- 3 of the most promising backs at our club..
Though we're aiming to sign up ONE player for 1mil a season.
Duges is a great player, great man, great bloke, but his manager's a wonky old lad who's deceiving him big time.

getsmarty

Immortal
Just for the record, Millward did say that Field may end up being Fullback in 2018 to ease him into first grade and Reece Robson and McInnes would be our hooker rotation in 2018.This was earlier in the year in one of the clubs recruitment updates.

Como Connection

First Grade
Ok Doc, I'll stop. I can see you just don't get it. Enough to say we have a difference of opinion. Millward is ambitious but unfortunately does not have very much talent.
Seems to being going ok I reckon.
I spoke him in 2016 about a young Queensland rugby back, son of an ex Queensland/Dragons fullback.
He was very pleasant, followed up my tip and gave me feedback.
Impressed I was.
CC

Belta

Juniors
I think it's safe to assume when payers are earmarked in the recruitment plans then they are going to be 'favoured' .... and we would be gullible to think likewise

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hey, Lafai is not in Millward's plan however, I would think he will have to try and accommodate him mainly because he is playing very well. There was no reason to replace him and there is no local junior busting down the door at left centre.

Aitken has performed poorly a few games in a row and not replaced unless injured. Milne is a far better right centre than Aitken.

Possm mate, how do you know Lafai is not in Millward's plans?
Just because someone hasn't been mentioned or has been signed-up already doesn't mean they aren't on the radar.
There are many star player that remain unsigned by their clubs at present, including Thurston, Slater and Boyd, to name a few, would you call their recruitment guy out for not doing their job?
Everyone is waiting for the signed off salary cap, once its released you will see an avalanche of activity. And don't forget we need 30 players next year, form is going to determine wether they are re-signed or let go and that form won't take the place of a handful of games, but maybe even the full season, given that most of our players had a pretty poor 2016.
Millward is doing a reasonable job, securing Hunt and Widdop, signing Vaughan and McInnes, letting Rein and Marshall go, and there is an offer on the table for Dugan, and maintaining our future by signing our young stars.
Last I checked there were 8 or 9 positions to be filled for 2018, lets wait until the final salary cap is announces and see who we target then. I'm sure he has budgeted for retaining Mann, Milne and Lafai within the original cap announcement, its now just determining the amount of offer.
I can probably guarantee, his "whiteboard" isn't complete, nor is it fixed.

The Doc

Juniors
Possm... ur entittled to ur opinion... i respect that you dont like Millward or the job he has/is doing.
I think he is doing a good job... we are entittled to differ...
All im saying is its not cool laying all blame on him... no matter how much u dont like him to blame him for a player not being chosen isnt right.
Keep your hate for him to realistic reasons is all im saying.
On a serious note.... the signings of Vaughan, Simms, Hunt, MacDonald and McInnes... the re-signing of JDB, Widdop, Frizz, and all the juniors... you dont rate all that?
Thats a serious question... not instigating or insulting... just wanna know ur honest thoughts on all those?

possm

Coach
If that's Milward's plan, then he's off his rocker.
No Dufty, Milne or Mann- 3 of the most promising backs at our club..
Though we're aiming to sign up ONE player for 1mil a season.
Duges is a great player, great man, great bloke, but his manager's a wonky old lad who's deceiving him big time.
Hey, it's not that he does not want them, he has no cap for them. As I've said too many times - it's a mess.

possm

Coach
How on earth would you know what Millwards plans are unless you have actually asked him.

Again you throw up a whole bunch of assumptions with no evidence to back any of it up.
Look if you don't believe I'm right, you ask him and let me know what he says.

If Dugan is let go, there will obviously be cap spare and maybe Millward will change his mind.

Vinnie

Juniors
Look if you don't believe I'm right, you ask him and let me know what he says.

If Dugan is let go, there will obviously be cap spare and maybe Millward will change his mind.
Of Course he will change his mind .... player retention can only be guided by the signings as they happen, you target your essentials and go forward from there. We retained Widdop and the price now changes further retention plans, If we retain Dugan again the agreed price will then alter the retention stratgey going forward, and likewise if we don't retain him. It's all a process that is determined and controlled by signings as they do or don't occur.
It would be impossible in this market to put a price on every player you want to retain and get thme all for that price just wont happen. So every overs you play for someone changes your plans, every unders changes your plans as well. Then of course changes in the proposed salary cap changes your plans.
On top of that i refuse to believe that Millward is in total control of retaining and new signings with out input from management and coaching staff.
So to say that he or she is or isnt in his plans from the beginning of the year is a far cry and pretty out there.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
IMO young Marsters is not as far off first grade as many people think. Millward has huge wraps on this kid & keeps saying this kid has got it all

Emu
He has but would like to see him against the men in the illawarra team.
Herbert is only 19 but heis much closer to nrl .
Having played all year there
Both could be anything.
Along with garrick and Lawrie.
So good in lower grades

Last edited:

Latest posts