What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Accept Criticism & Begin Work On 2017

giboz71

First Grade
Responsible but not accountable and that is the root cause of the issue.

Mary said he had the squad he wanted this year, and he failed.

Doust and Mary's recruitment has been poor with too many players turning us down and some really odd retention decisions (e.g. Bird).

Selection policy is also absurd, with strong juniors and cutters players routinely overlooked in favour of failed plodders (e.g. Farrell and Lafai).

They are missing the point.

That may have been Mary's position earlier in the year, but his tune changed pretty quickly once the season started to turn to sh*t.

Completely distanced himself from recruitment, Benji and Lafai were dropped, Rein was let go, Peter M let go mid year. The Mann experiment at FB was canned. Whatever plans he had with the initial roster went up in smoke.

His press conferences became more and more defensive, and it seemed more and more apparent that the squad he had could not get the job done. Agree with him to a certain extent, I've stated ad nauseum what weaknesses we had. Too many fundamental flaws, especially with key players.

But unfortunately, it all starts and ends with him. Good players don't want to play for him. No good players of note want to come here. Even Flanno and Ricky, despite their questionable coaching credentials can at least attract quality players.

It's a career killer coming to the Dragons with Mary as coach and players are too smart to want to come here.

blacksafake

First Grade
Just a thought.
Because the club has gone & employed a 3 person committee to oversee McGregor does this then mean that McGregor will get an extension. Why would you put this in place for 1 year?

TruSaint

Referee
Just a thought.
Because the club has gone & employed a 3 person committee to oversee McGregor does this then mean that McGregor will get an extension. Why would you put this in place for 1 year?

He would have to earn it if the committee are fair dinkum. And that would be Herculean ...

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Committee distances the
Board from the action and allows the Board to take no blame. I am sure that if things
go sour early next year the
Committee will act decisively and quickly to resurrect the coaching situation.

possm

Coach
Board from the action and allows the Board to take no blame. I am sure that if things
Surely it is already plain to see that Mary is not up to the task. We keep wasting off seasons and opportunities to turn things around. It's very frustrating.

TheOnlyTeam

Juniors
Doust and Mary still have a job because it was the Dragons that were criticised (look at the thread heading). Through the 3 grades we have a capable squad, just nobody (except jd and mh) to manage or coach them. I had my boy (8) interested in supporting the dragons until I took him to a game and on the way home he even said what a boring game.

TheOnlyTeam

Juniors
I can see no evidence of the committee acting decisively or quickly, just another mob in the job for the dough.

Dea

Juniors
The appointment of the committee is a statement by the club that McGregor cannot do the job of an NRL coach and requires additional support. I hope that before the end of the year they announce McGregor has a positive future in the NRL and will be a smart pick up for another club but we will be appointing ??????? to coach the Dragons from 2018

The appointment of the committee is a statement by the club that McGregor cannot do the job of an NRL coach and requires additional support. I hope that before the end of the year they announce McGregor has a positive future in the NRL and will be a smart pick up for another club but we will be appointing ??????? to coach the Dragons from 2018

We shouldn't have to wait a year for this to happen.

I think the most likely outcome is for Mary to get the punt halfway through the year only to be replaced by another rookie coach in JD. Sure, better than Mary. But year after year we're wasting an opportunity to begin a genuine rebuild. How long will this continue?!!

Straight Shooter

Old Timer

Coach
BOD to Mc Gregor:
Ok Paul we've saved your arse what's the plan for 2017?

Mary To BOD:
Well I've been doing some research and have learnt about peptides and salary cap breaches. Evidently if you make them part of the regime of your club you will get penalised your points for the season but in a year or two you win the comp as a reward for having the guts to cheat the system.

BOD to MC Gregor:
How many points will we lose Paul?

Mc Gregor to BOD:
Thats the great thing about this plan guys we will only lose 4 points for the season.

BOD to Mc Gregor:
Only 4 points Paul how does that work?

Mc Gregor to BOD:
Well with me as coach we won't win any games so we only lose the points for the 2 byes.

BOD to Mc Gregor:
Great plan Paul what about a 4 year extension?

grouch

First Grade
We shouldn't have to wait a year for this to happen.

I think the most likely outcome is for Mary to get the punt halfway through the year only to be replaced by another rookie coach in JD. Sure, better than Mary. But year after year we're wasting an opportunity to begin a genuine rebuild. How long will this continue?!!

Straight Shooter
Perhaps we can't afford to pay Cleary or Toovey or whomever what they want. So we can't sack McGregor now while those 'expensive' coaches are on the market. So we'll wait until the season starts, sack the drunken Straight Shooter, and appoint the cheap guy from within.

This is literally the best we can hope for right now. Jesus. How bad is that.

Reactions: Qdf

CronullaSaint

Juniors
The darkest hour is just before the dawn. That is what I keep telling myself. I just hope it doesn't get any darker.

Latest posts