What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Accept Criticism & Begin Work On 2017

TruSaint

Referee
I've got no issue with getting someone in to make sure the IP is looked after. I just didnt think the Dragons had any. Or if they do, its not the sort of IP anyone else would be interested in. Anyway I'm sure there's a lot more they've been asked to look at, we just don't know what it is.

The devil is in the detail as you say.
Can only comment on Coyne's opinion and what we do know.
We know that player recruitment lays at the feet of Mary and Doust ( as per the report ).

As to the $$$ of intellectual property, well that will be determined by any possible investor after conducting his / her due diligence. Its value has dropped either way.

j0nesy

Bench
You want another untried coach? Price couldn't cut it, MacGregor has proved to be an abject failure, yet you're happy to see if 3 times proves it. We need a strong and proven 1st Grade coach. Otherwise we will languish in the bottom 4 for many years to come

No, I was just speculating on what may happen.

j0nesy

Bench
But deciding who to let go and who to recruit was beyond the committee's control.

"The CEO and the coach are ultimately responsible for the roster, and in my view, the roster certainly needs to be enhanced," he said.

"They are both jointly responsible for making sure that the roster is going to give them the best opportunity to win a premiership.

Responsible but not accountable and that is the root cause of the issue.

Mary said he had the squad he wanted this year, and he failed.

Doust and Mary's recruitment has been poor with too many players turning us down and some really odd retention decisions (e.g. Bird).

Selection policy is also absurd, with strong juniors and cutters players routinely overlooked in favour of failed plodders (e.g. Farrell and Lafai).

They are missing the point.

Massive Coyne fan but tinkering around the edges won't make a difference. All this has done is create new snouts in the trough; an extension of the boys club.

It's simply staggering that we need a committee to assist the head coach.

Mary and Doust, both of you should be dying of shame you mother f#*kers.

Straight Shooter

dragonreddy

Juniors
The devil is in the detail as you say.
Can only comment on Coyne's opinion and what we do know.
We know that player recruitment lays at the feet of Mary and Doust ( as per the report ).

As to the $$$ of intellectual property, well that will be determined by any possible investor after conducting his / her due diligence. Its value has dropped either way.

This is what gets me with the club the wank speak has started already with the new bloke already crapping on about Intellectual Property, we are a footy club not Apple.

Does anyone involved at the club possess intellect , it certainly doesn't look like it.

As you say TRU it would only be worth a handful of boiled lollies with these inept fools running the place.

dragonreddy

Juniors
Improving the IP of the club is fine, and agree there is upside.

My concern is recruitment and retention have been left to those whom have failed already in this regard, as you rightly mention, and was clarified by Coyne.

In essence, these 4 professionals have no say in the current fundamental issues. They make enhance certain parts of the business, but at days end, Mary still controls player status and game management.

One other thing McGregor controls/ causes is team morale ,which seems to be another area he has failed in.

It's probably been mentioned further back in this thread ,isn't the fact that the club had to hire someone to do an audit (review) on what is wrong with the club proof that both the Coach AND CEO are incompetent ,in simple terms their job is to get a competitive squad for the club each year ,they have both failed miserably ,and Doust should be ashamed of himself performing like this after 16 years .

Zucchini

Juniors
I've got no issue with getting someone in to make sure the IP is looked after. I just didnt think the Dragons had any. Or if they do, its not the sort of IP anyone else would be interested in. Anyway I'm sure there's a lot more they've been asked to look at, we just don't know what it is.
Well there was McGregor's suggestions that opposition tries from kicks don't count.

possm

Coach
It's really easy to assess the suitability of Mary as our head coach. Just look to the market and ask the question: Which other NRL Club would hire Mary as head coach.

The answer is clear to anyone in the trade ..... not on other NRL Club. So why can't the Board see their stupid mistake and do something about it?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
It's starting to become clearer from recent articles that the rumours and whispers of fears we've had over the last few months are true.
We don't have the money to afford a new coach and a completely new staff.
I'm sure there were intentions of appointing a new coach, but the ramifications of sacking a coach and his entire staff and turn over a new coach with a completely new staff would be too much for the club to handle, hence why they've kept McGregor and appointed an advisory committee.

Congratulations Board, you've managed to back yourself into a corner financially and we are now the only club in the NRL who has a coach that has to attend his coaching tutoring lessons before and after training.

possm

Coach
It's starting to become clearer from recent articles that the rumours and whispers of fears we've had over the last few months are true.
I'm sure there were intentions of appointing a new coach, but the ramifications of sacking a coach and his entire staff and turn over a new coach with a completely new staff would be too much for the club to handle, hence why they've kept McGregor and appointed an advisory committee.

Congratulations Board, you've managed to back yourself into a corner financially and we are now the only club in the NRL who has a coach that has to attend his coaching tutoring lessons before and after training.
So who was responsible for contracting a rooky coach for 3 years even though:

1. He failed to improve the plight of the team in his first year - should have been no more than a 1 year trial.

2. The previous rookie coach 'Price' failed and had to have his contract terminated due to poor performance.

If the problem with hiring an experienced NRL coach is ot do with funding, job description, salary cap limitations and/or recruitment/pathways decision making then it is a management shortfall and senior management including board members should take responsibility and resign.

since77

Juniors
It's really easy to assess the suitability of Mary as our head coach. Just look to the market and ask the question: Which other NRL Club would hire Mary as head coach.

The answer is clear to anyone in the trade ..... not on other NRL Club. So why can't the Board see their stupid mistake and do something about it?

How true POSSM. The answer is simple to your last question - Stupid is as stupid does.

Last edited:
The answer is simple.

Mary is a yes man he agrees with every stupid decision the club makes.

He never questions anything they do and blindly goes along with it.

The board have a puppet a guy on strings they can manipulate into doing and saying anything they want.

They certainly don't want a guy who thinks for himself and actually inquires to the direction of the club.

The board honestly think dragging up the past will appease the masses but fail to see the present is completely f**king up everything they did in the past.

The Dragons are a spitting image of the Steelers fumbling and bumbling their way through things and guess how that ended a merger and i wouldn't be surprised to see another one or relocation.

Mary can't coach thats a fact but he didn't employee himself the powers that be did and even though he at large part has failed miserably they choose not to replace him and this bullshit about not being able to is imo a lie.

Peter Doust and his minnows do not care they have a job and get paid well to do it even though they are totally useless and f**king stupid.

I wonder what will happen when the Dragons are forced to hand back the licence or the NRL just takes it will Doust just run and hide.

dragonreddy

Juniors
The answer is simple.

Mary is a yes man he agrees with every stupid decision the club makes.

He never questions anything they do and blindly goes along with it.

The board have a puppet a guy on strings they can manipulate into doing and saying anything they want.

They certainly don't want a guy who thinks for himself and actually inquires to the direction of the club.

The board honestly think dragging up the past will appease the masses but fail to see the present is completely f**king up everything they did in the past.

The Dragons are a spitting image of the Steelers fumbling and bumbling their way through things and guess how that ended a merger and i wouldn't be surprised to see another one or relocation.

Mary can't coach thats a fact but he didn't employee himself the powers that be did and even though he at large part has failed miserably they choose not to replace him and this bullshit about not being able to is imo a lie.

Peter Doust and his minnows do not care they have a job and get paid well to do it even though they are totally useless and f**king stupid.

I wonder what will happen when the Dragons are forced to hand back the licence or the NRL just takes it will Doust just run and hide.

Doust will collect his super and ride off into the sunset,that will be one of the main reasons he is hanging around way past his use-by date,to no doubt boost his retirement money .

Slippery Morris

First Grade
/QUOTE]

No Money? The have enough money to create 4 new high class roles and pay big dollars. A guy with Medical Science degrees I am sure would come cheap. Mark Coyne a successful businessman I am sure would not leave his job for peanuts. This shows they have money but are throwing it any direction to save their own backsides and not the clubs future.

sco22

Juniors
Doust will collect his super and ride off into the sunset,that will be one of the main reasons he is hanging around way past his use-by date,to no doubt boost his retirement money .
No he will be looked after just like Geoff Carr was by the League

emack

Juniors
What an absolute cluster$%^k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are the laughing stock of the NRL. No wonder we can't attract a half decent coach or any marquee players. How the hell does Doust get away with this $%it?!

The feeling of devastation is now truly starting to sink in.

FlameThrower

Bench
What an absolute cluster$%^k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are the laughing stock of the NRL. No wonder we can't attract a half decent coach or any marquee players. How the hell does Doust get away with this $%it?!

The feeling of devastation is now truly starting to sink in.
Quite a few of my workmates are Dragons supporters....not one of the existing red v members has renewed...
The social media backlash on Facebook is just ugly....I'm not sure if it was ignorance, arrogance or stupidity to expect nothing less than outage from the fans...

Old Timer

Coach
Big Del looks like the smartest bloke in the club in light of the recent announcements.
Not even his enormous appeal with the fans would have been enough to stem the exodus.
In actual fact thanks big fella for sticking it out for this long.