What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Fans... What are your superstitions?

Re my superstitions in original post..

Tonight's Eels game, and great-escape win may have come down to my darling who.... was about to head off to work and when I called her (i'm working away in melbourne) to check she was wearing her jersey, replied "no I'm not, your silly superstition is a load of nonsense.."

I negotiated her to at least take it with her in the car, as I was nervous about the game.

Lo and behold the last-placed Eels had the First-placed Dragons by the canastas at 18-8.. So I called her when she was on the road..

I had to negotiate again, negotiate hard but eventually on her way to her nightshift, she pulled over and put the Red V on much to her loathing... "this is ridiculous"...

Well the Dragons got the job done in the end. This sounds ridiculous - and it is - but 100% true and I'm not sure if this streak is a good thing or not. In a way I was hoping the streak would break tonight.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I know that I was standing up when Dufty scored the match winner. I was going off to the max when he scored, the neighbours probably heard me celebrating. I think I may have even been standing up when Aitken scored his try try too.

As soon as I get out of bed in the morning I make sure my left foot touches the floor first then I shower for exactly 3 mins 45 seconds I put on my lucky underwear making sure left foot goes through first I then put on my lucky socks you guessed left foot first And if I do all this correctly I don’I need to believe in superstitions

Drag Queen

Bench

Tonight's Eels game, and great-escape win may have come down to my darling who.... was about to head off to work and when I called her (i'm working away in melbourne) to check she was wearing her jersey, replied "no I'm not, your silly superstition is a load of nonsense.."

I negotiated her to at least take it with her in the car, as I was nervous about the game.

Lo and behold the last-placed Eels had the First-placed Dragons by the canastas at 18-8.. So I called her when she was on the road..

I had to negotiate again, negotiate hard but eventually on her way to her nightshift, she pulled over and put the Red V on much to her loathing... "this is ridiculous"...

Well the Dragons got the job done in the end. This sounds ridiculous - and it is - but 100% true and I'm not sure if this streak is a good thing or not. In a way I was hoping the streak would break tonight.
Are you taking the piss? If not, this must be true love. :oops:

Last edited:

JDHD

Juniors
I used to have heaps of superstitions...never wear merch before a game...never talk the team up...never watch the close ones...dont go to important games...never pick them in the tipping comp.

I did that and what’s it gotten me in the last 8 years? Nothing but cold pies and crushed dreams. I truly realised last year that nothing I do actually affects the result so now I just do what I want.

Drag Queen

Bench
I used to have heaps of superstitions...never wear merch before a game...never talk the team up...never watch the close ones...dont go to important games...never pick them in the tipping comp.

I did that and what’s it gotten me in the last 8 years? Nothing but cold pies and crushed dreams. I truly realised last year that nothing I do actually affects the result so now I just do what I want.
Just home from work and this made me laugh. I never talk my teams up whether NRL or Union, however I do have the promise of a hot pie though. Heat on full upside down on paper towels in the microwave for about 90 seconds. Flip and give it another 30 seconds. Add sauce and devour :D

Gareth67

First Grade

By Gad ! That's one hell of a woman you have there Johnny - whatever you do be nice , extra nice to her for the rest of year . :innocent:

It's game day... there's eager anticipation as you are heading to the game, propped yourself at the pub, or on your lounge as the telecast starts of the Dragons Vs Whoever..

What do you do/don't you do on game day to ensure the Dragons win or to not curse the Dragons into the abyss of a howling spirit-crushing defeat...??

I've got two;

1 - I NEVER Record Dragons games if I'm unable to watch live on Telly. I have a historical record of about a 0W-12L Record here..

2 - I try to ensure my better-half is wearing her Dragons Jersey no matter where she is or what she's doing.. briefly explained.
  • She's from Adelaide & Never watched NRL til this year
  • Bought her a Dragons Jersey and took her to the Dragons v Knights game @ WIN this season, we won..
  • Joked she should always wear her jersey whenever we are playing...
  • All times since then when she has worn it - Dragons Won..
  • The Three times she hasn't... you guessed it... Dragons have lost..
  • Prompts now alerted leading into game day whether I'm with her or we're apart.
  • Has received many strange looks - inc recently when at the movies with her friends in downtown Adelaide going to watch a chick flick donning the Big Red V - meanwhile back in Mudgee we beat the Raiders..

Hi all,

Rehashing an old thread due to an alarming stat - not for self glorification but...I’ve got a dilemma..

My 2nd superstition above is currently at a 100% accuracy result this season.. Ie

The wearing of the jersey requirement by my gorgeous missus was overlooked for rounds 1 & 2 this year, and we lost both games. Since then I’ve urged the missus to son the Red V each and yes... we’ve since won 4 in a row...

I am not kidding, I really wish I was..

My dilemma... the missus is out with her family tomorrow at a function while I’m at the SCG. And bless her, she is considering wearing the jersey.. despite the inappropriate environment for such attire.

It's left me pondering a vast number of questions...

Am I the biggest pr1ck by urging her to wear it for my own selfish reasons or is this justified for the greater good of the dragons cause?

If she does wear it and we win again, will this only cause further angst for future games?

Am I wrong to ask her to wear it and hope we lose, to ease the superstitious burden?

Or do I ask her to save her dignity and wear appropriate attire in the hope the dragons win and break the ridiculous trend? But if we lose... the angst will only continue...

Has this jersey earned Mary McGregor a contract extension and as such completely sent the vast majority of you LU Dragons forummers into a pink fit........ ?

If I ask her to wear it for the rest of the year - will we remain undefeated and win the comp???

Am I a d1ckhead, not just in general, but for worrying about this superstition?

Gareth67

First Grade
I always , always ensure that I wear the same ‘ Y ‘ front Jockeys that I had on the previous game day ! :rolling_eyes:

Drakon

Juniors
I previously said that I had no superstitions but I just realised there is one thing I do:-

Just as the kicker is moving in for kick off of the game I have to say out loud 'Go The Dragons'

I wore the same gear to games for about six years (including the 2010 GF) - black jeans, Beatles t-shirt, and blue hoodie, odd-looking but comfortable grey and black plimsoles, the whole ensemble crowned with a long red & white scarf - which was a 100% success until we lost by a field goal to Souffs at Jubilee and the outfit was tainted forever.

kit66

Bench
Hi all,

Rehashing an old thread due to an alarming stat - not for self glorification but...I’ve got a dilemma..

My 2nd superstition above is currently at a 100% accuracy result this season.. Ie

The wearing of the jersey requirement by my gorgeous missus was overlooked for rounds 1 & 2 this year, and we lost both games. Since then I’ve urged the missus to son the Red V each and yes... we’ve since won 4 in a row...

I am not kidding, I really wish I was..

My dilemma... the missus is out with her family tomorrow at a function while I’m at the SCG. And bless her, she is considering wearing the jersey.. despite the inappropriate environment for such attire.

It's left me pondering a vast number of questions...

Am I the biggest pr1ck by urging her to wear it for my own selfish reasons or is this justified for the greater good of the dragons cause?

If she does wear it and we win again, will this only cause further angst for future games?

Am I wrong to ask her to wear it and hope we lose, to ease the superstitious burden?

Or do I ask her to save her dignity and wear appropriate attire in the hope the dragons win and break the ridiculous trend? But if we lose... the angst will only continue...

Has this jersey earned Mary McGregor a contract extension and as such completely sent the vast majority of you LU Dragons forummers into a pink fit........ ?

If I ask her to wear it for the rest of the year - will we remain undefeated and win the comp???

Am I a d1ckhead, not just in general, but for worrying about this superstition?

I can see the post game Press Conference with Mary " Well we're missing two front rowers and our Captain, their tries were all from kicks and Bring back John Fifita's missus jinxed us, but I I thought the boys done good ".
You can't lose sight of the fact that superstitions are silly and have no bearing on anything but if you must have them keep them simple and practical. Maybe buy your wife a Saints singlet to replace the jersey or some article of clothing that's less visible, preferably red and white. But not today, she has to wear the jersey today.

Wittenberg

Juniors
When we play a big game I can only watch it by myself. In 1999 we led the grand final 14-0 and friends’ of my wife came over and came into the TV room. They were not footy followers, asked questions all through it and my wife kept on telling me “it is only a game” as the referee helped the Storm. No idea!

Latest posts