Dragons In No Hurry To Sign Mary

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by possm, Apr 13, 2017.

1. possm

possm First Grade

ST GEORGE Illawarra boss Peter Doust insists the club aren’t in a hurry to extend the contract of coach Paul McGregor despite the Dragons’ lofty position at the top of the NRL ladder.
    McGregor remains the only coach without a deal beyond this season following Canterbury’s re-signing of Des Hasler and the Wests Tigers’ shock axing of Jason Taylor and subsequent appointment of Ivan Cleary.

Widely considered as wooden spoon contenders in the summer, McGregor has the Dragons on track for a strong year after inspiring his outfit to its best start in the post-Wayne Bennett era.

Live stream the Dragons round seven clash with the Cowboys on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week FOXTEL PLAY trial and start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW!

But while players, led by skipper Gareth Widdop, have urged the club to reward their mentor with a new deal, Doust is adamant the club won’t be rushed into an agreement.

“It is a decision for the Dragons board and there is no set time frame,” Doust told AAP.

Widdop praised McGregor for being open to changing the team’s attack over the pre-season after his rigid style netted the Dragons just 341 points last year, only ahead of Newcastle.

Through the opening six games in 2017, the Red V has a league-high 163 points.

“Mary’s pretty open and we sat down as a leadership group, and had a good conversation about where we want to go and move forward,”

Widdop said. “Everyone bought into that, including Mary, and we’re all on the same page.

“We knew last year wasn’t good enough and we needed to change it. The leaders and Mary got together, sat down and come up with who we wanted to be as a team and what to do.”

Star forward Tyson Frizell was another who is a big fan of the coach after breaking into the NSW State of Origin and Australian teams under his guidance.

Frizell, who last year re-signed until the end of 2020, wants to continue under the current coach.

“I’d love to see Mary hang around. I’ve played some of my best footy under Mary and grown as a player ever since he’s been in the role,” he said.

“As a playing group, we respect Mary a lot. If we can put performances and show how much work he does behind the scenes, hopefully the club will move quick to give him another deal.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...n/news-story/9a9af68826dc7fed6ae8da0560b8fdb1

Maybe the Dragons do have another coach in mind.

2. Hawkins

Hawkins Juniors

It's best practice to pay the hooker after sex

3. since77

since77 Juniors

Geez the poor people defending Mary in Sack Mc Gregor thread are going to be sad......

Life's Good likes this.
  4. possm

possm First Grade

Have you ever paid a hooker AFTER sex?

JDHD and BringTheNoise like this.
  5. St Georgio

St Georgio Juniors

LOL this is soooo funny!

6. BringTheNoise

BringTheNoise Juniors

The club better hurry up before another club poaches him from us.....

merahputih likes this.
  7. Hawkins

Hawkins Juniors

I actually prefer paypass.

You know come and go

8. OzDragon

OzDragon Bench

Back in ye old days we had to swipe our credit cards. Made both parties very uncomfortable.

Saint_JimmyG, Gareth67 and Hawkins like this.
  9. possm

possm First Grade

Anyone have a view on why Doust came out now and said 'Doust is adamant the club won’t be rushed into an agreement'.

10. Old Kogarah Boy 1

Old Kogarah Boy 1 Juniors

No, my ex wife always took the money before sex..... she then took the house.

I once bought her some flowers and she said, suppose l'll have to spread my legs for these?
    I said, why... don't you have a vase big enough?

11. Life's Good

Life's Good First Grade

Don't worry, they will be here shortly.

12. mickeylane

mickeylane Juniors

Was always going to be announced after SoO or around Round 10,11 that's 6 weeks from now

13. Gareth67

Gareth67 Juniors

My darling Ethel , just asked me what I was cackling about . That my friend is in the Gold Star Award category !

14. Saints Forever

Saints Forever Juniors

If we lose several games in a row, Mary may well not have his contract extended.

Very much enjoying the ride this season.

Many factors have lead to a positive start.

I am not ready as yet to accept/concede that Mary has played a major part in our revival.

rainman44 likes this.
  15. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

This is how it should be. Sure things are rosy now but let's see how P plate handles things when it ain't going so good. It is good to see the players are behind him & they all appear to be a happy group.

Dragsters and Coffs dragon like this.
  16. Crush

Crush Juniors

Coaching is a results based profession. Mcgregor was lucky to survive 2016 but so far this year he is looking the goods. I would say that if he is 8 wins from 10 to start this year he deserves an extension.

17. Minh

Minh First Grade

It's good to see the club biding it's time hopefully till at least later this year.......we don't need another ANZAC Day announcement now do we ala Price.....

Dragsters likes this.
  18. dino2170

dino2170 Juniors

lolololololololol

19. dino2170

dino2170 Juniors

no he doesnt. he refuses to promote youth.

20. Drakon

Drakon Juniors

Interestingly, on 'Over The Black Dot' - the new NRL show on NITV that debuted last night @ 9.30pm, they said Mary had signed a new 2 year deal! For those interested, it's a pretty good show.