What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons In No Hurry To Sign Mary

Como Connection

First Grade
While I agree to an extent (or shouldn't be paying overs to players based on a quarter of a season) both Dugan and Widdop have shown more over their careers than Mary - Widdop as a premiership winner and international, and Dugan and a SOO player. I'd rather them 2 before we worry about Mary.

There's also not going to be anyone chasing Mary!
West Wollongong are a maybe.
CC

possm

Coach
The buck stops with the coach. The players play to the coach's instructions/game plan. If they don't then they risk the possibility of being dropped or worse - Jamie Soward.

This season the players have had input into the playing style and general game plan. Unlike previous seasons, the players have bought into the attacking plan and so the results. Dugan, Widdop and others failed the team last year because Mary was not up to the job of an NRL coah. Now that so many duties have been lifted from Mary's shoulders and the squad and coaching staff have stripped back all structures, the team is firing.

The poor performance of the team over the past few years was costly and someone must be held accountable.

The buck stops with the coach. Neither the Board or the CEO will take responsibility.

Coffs dragon

Bench
The longer they wait the better it is whilst McJetski remains in neutral for the season to unfold.
The club cannot afford to stuff this up again!!

possm

Coach
I reckon the Club has already got a coach in mind who is currently under contract and who's current club is happy to see him move on. No announcement as yet because neither party wants to upset the apple cart. Welcome aboard Mage - GF win in 2018.

Dragon66

Juniors
At the moment I am no longer on the Sack McGregor bandwagon due to the improved onfield performance by the team, but we have been in a similar situation in 2005 and we all know how that unfolded.

Winning is great, but the style of play that we are seeing atm is the most enjoyable part of ride.

The excellent draw for the opening rounds has been very favourable, and the fact some teams have had pregame disruptions that has worked in our favour, but ultimately it is the team's players in key positions, Widdop, McCrone and McInnes, and a powerful forward pack that are performing beyond expectation that is propelling our side to the top of the ladder.

My memory is not that short that when we persevered with the Marshall/Widdop combination for so long when it was blatantly obvious to all and sundry that it was not working, and Dugan's inability to ball play, and Rein's poor passing and decision making were not addressed, by either improvement by coaching, or preserving with positional changes to address the issues means that I would not be happy if the club rushed into a contract extension any earlier than the third quarter of this season.

McGregor has improved, as has the club, but let's see how we go after we have played the teams in the top eight. Other than our exceptional performance against Cronulla, we still haven't played any of the competition heavyweights just yet.

Being on top of the table is good, but a few victories against the stronger clubs in the competition will be the real test of where we are at as a club.

We have built a perfect platform to take us into the next five rounds. Let's see how we are travelling by the time we get to the Round 12 bye - then we will know if we are really contenders, not just early season pretenders.

Hopefully we can get three out of the next five games, and then we will be in a great position to be a serious challenger.

possm

Coach
At the moment I am no longer on the Sack McGregor bandwagon due to the improved onfield performance by the team, but we have been in a similar situation in 2005 and we all know how that unfolded.

Winning is great, but the style of play that we are seeing atm is the most enjoyable part of ride.

The excellent draw for the opening rounds has been very favourable, and the fact some teams have had pregame disruptions that has worked in our favour, but ultimately it is the team's players in key positions, Widdop, McCrone and McInnes, and a powerful forward pack that are performing beyond expectation that is propelling our side to the top of the ladder.

My memory is not that short that when we persevered with the Marshall/Widdop combination for so long when it was blatantly obvious to all and sundry that it was not working, and Dugan's inability to ball play, and Rein's poor passing and decision making were not addressed, by either improvement by coaching, or preserving with positional changes to address the issues means that I would not be happy if the club rushed into a contract extension any earlier than the third quarter of this season.

McGregor has improved, as has the club, but let's see how we go after we have played the teams in the top eight. Other than our exceptional performance against Cronulla, we still haven't played any of the competition heavyweights just yet.

Being on top of the table is good, but a few victories against the stronger clubs in the competition will be the real test of where we are at as a club.

We have built a perfect platform to take us into the next five rounds. Let's see how we are travelling by the time we get to the Round 12 bye - then we will know if we are really contenders, not just early season pretenders.

Hopefully we can get three out of the next five games, and then we will be in a great position to be a serious challenger.
In 2015 we seemed to have that brick wall from 2010 back again however, once the opposition devised a way around the compressed defense, we fell apart and lost our mojo.

Mary has shown he is a one trick pony and I would venture that in 2015 and this year that trick has been given to him. I hope history does not repeat but more than that, I hope we have a new coach for 2018.

possm

Coach
Please Board Members, give us a new top line coach for 2018. If you don't it will be another three or so years before we will have a decent chance of winning the comp.

FlameThrower

Bench
The longer they wait the better it is whilst McJetski remains in neutral for the season to unfold.
The club cannot afford to stuff this up again!!
What are you on about....McGregor has the team playing the best style if football since 2009/2010. the stats are there for all to see, stripping back the rigid structures has been a revelation..
Sure I was more than sceptical before start of the season and we were ranked bottom 4 and had worst halves combo....but surely you can give McGregor some credit on what he has achieved so far??

Coffs dragon

Bench
What are you on about....McGregor has the team playing the best style if football since 2009/2010. the stats are there for all to see, stripping back the rigid structures has been a revelation..
Sure I was more than sceptical before start of the season and we were ranked bottom 4 and had worst halves combo....but surely you can give McGregor some credit on what he has achieved so far??
Yes Flame Thrower I do agree that Mary does deserve credit SO FAR. I just believe that there is no rush and let's see what pans out further into the season.
The team is on top and firing, but let's see how Mary handles the ups and downs with injuries, rep season, selections and bench rotation that will come.

possm

Coach
Of course Mary is in a hurry to be extended because there are no other clubs chasing his signature even though he is off contract.

FlameThrower

Bench
Yes Flame Thrower I do agree that Mary does deserve credit SO FAR. I just believe that there is no rush and let's see what pans out further into the season.
The team is on top and firing, but let's see how Mary handles the ups and downs with injuries, rep season, selections and bench rotation that will come.
All good ... I'm wondering how many real options are left in the coaching ranks? Cleary and Hasler are scratched.

Ted bartolo

Juniors

Ted bartolo

Juniors
You look at Morgan's try that's a planned move that's has been practised.Last time we have seen that at the dragons is in the bennet days.I'm enjoying dragons beeing top of the table and playing ablib footy.But if we won't to win the comp we need a good coach

Last edited:

possm

Coach
All good ... I'm wondering how many real options are left in the coaching ranks? Cleary and Hasler are scratched.
My hopes are now centred on Mage from South Sydney taking charge of our first grade squad next year however, I'm very sure our new arrangements regarding recruitment / pathways will have to be slightly changed.

'Millward to report to Mage'
'Mage to have final say'

Life's Good

Coach
My hopes are now centred on Mage from South Sydney taking charge of our first grade squad next year however, I'm very sure our new arrangements regarding recruitment / pathways will have to be slightly changed.

'Millward to report to Mage'
'Mage to have final say'
The same Madge that signed Farah over McInness?? The same Madge who hasn't addressed the poor handling of the Burgess boys. Like I said in the other thread. I hope not.

giboz71

First Grade

That's my thinking too.

Obviously if Hasler and Cleary were still available, I'd be all for a coaching change. But who's available now other than Taylor? Griffin might be in trouble over at Penrith, perhaps Maguire at Souths.

Frankly, I'd be very reluctant to uproot our current coach who has us running 1st for any of those 3 who have either struggled recently with their own teams, or been sacked.

Crush

Coach
Madge? Really?
I watched the souths bulldogs game on friday and thought both teams were average at best. Souths are a very mediocre team at best this year and didn't they finish bottom 4 last year?
Why on earth would we want to hire a coach that is failing to get the best out of his team?
I know he has a comp next to his name but surely that isn't everything.

giboz71

First Grade
Madge? Really?
I watched the souths bulldogs game on friday and thought both teams were average at best. Souths are a very mediocre team at best this year and didn't they finish bottom 4 last year?
Why on earth would we want to hire a coach that is failing to get the best out of his team?
I know he has a comp next to his name but surely that isn't everything.

Yeh, got a mate who was in the Souths FG squad some years back and he described Maguire as a pretty tough task master. Gets a lot of players off side.

Obviously it can work coz he's won a comp, but not sure how he'd go with our current squad.

possm

Coach
The same Madge that signed Farah over McInness?? The same Madge who hasn't addressed the poor handling of the Burgess boys. Like I said in the other thread. I hope not.
Oh! But our Club now has Millward to do the recruitment.