What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons In No Hurry To Sign Mary

possm

Coach
Lay off those green buds when you're on the chew, possm.

Give it another month and Im sure everything will be in place, one way or another. They will clearly stick with McGregor, they are just testing all the parts and making sure the product won't break down again.
You know you speak with wise words and are probably bloody well right. However, what will I do until then. I have lot's of spare time and enjoy engaging with members on the forum.

possm

Coach
The public contradictions between Millward and Mary and the less then full support of Mary's long term job as coach leads me to believe that all is not well between Mary and Club management.

To give some certainty and take this topic out of the media headlines, I say the Club should announce that the coach for 2018 will be announced at end of season.

Given the new changes in recruitment/pathways management at the Club, there is no good reason to announce the coach for 2018 mainly because under the current system, recruiting and pathways matters are decided by Millward; not the coach.

possm

Coach
St George Illawarra Dragons take first steps to extending Paul McGregor's deal

Adam Pengilly

Dragons directors have taken the first steps towards extending Paul McGregor's tenure as coach after St George Illawarra boss Peter Doust trumpeted his future as a long-term NRL coach on the back of the Red V's stunning revival.
On the day they locked up in-demand skipper Gareth Widdop for a further four years, Doust on Saturday launched a passionate defence of the club's decision to relieve McGregor of recruiting responsibilities to model their business on AFL and American sporting organisations.

It has freed up McGregor to mould the Dragons into surprise table-toppers leading into the Anzac Day showdown with the Roosters after a superb early season run that has confounded critics who thought he would be the first coach axed in 2017.

The Dragons refuse to put a time frame on announcing their coach for next year, but Doust told Fairfax Media "common sense would say we're starting to contemplate" an extension for McGregor.

"We're all very happy with the way 2017 has been going, but we haven't got a time frame on which we have to apply a decision on this circumstance," Doust said. "It doesn't have to be done by the end of April or the end of May.

"I don't know that anybody should think we haven't had a commitment to Paul and don't think he has a long-term future as an NRL coach. We've stood by him in that sense as well.

"The decision is for the board and they'll make that when they think it is appropriate."

If it wasn't already a fait accompli, victory over the Roosters and fellow high-flyers Melbourne in the next fortnight before the representative round will all but seal McGregor's future, which appeared increasingly bleak last year.

1492873308566.jpg

Long term future: Dragons boss Peter Doust has talked up Paul McGregor as the future of the Dragons. Photo: John Veage
Doust denied the Dragons had erred by taking recruitment responsibilities away from McGregor and handing them to Ian Millward, who will turn his attention to tying down Josh Dugan, despite claiming he is viewed as a long-term centre.

It has been in contrast to McGregor openly stressing Dugan is the best No.1 in the club.

1492873308566.jpg

Four more years: Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop has also signed on for another four years. Photo: Getty Images
Doust said Dugan was "a marquee player and a priority" for the Dragons despite the seeming gulf between the club's valuation and his management's asking price.

"I think it's surprising the way some people have reacted [to McGregor's press conference on Wednesday] and their lack of knowledge of what's happening in the modern sporting environment," Doust said.

"It was one of the areas we could achieve a marked improvement with in 2017. We're happy with the way that separation between recruitment and coaching of the team – I think the players are too – has been going.

"And we think it's the modern model in how football clubs should operate going forward.

"Coaches are to be working on the performance of the team. In this hot marketplace we're in at the moment the recruitment manager would be receiving 20-odd calls a day and having to return them.

"How does a coach, if he's concentrated and focused on his priorities, try to fit that into a day and be allocating the right sorts of priorities in terms of the team and its performance?

"We can look at [Ian] Millward's accountability as list manager over three to five years being a development club and then we have the coach to manage a roster he has been provided with from one year to the next."

The Dragons shake-up has also included the front office with Brian Johnston taking over as chairman from 16-year boss Warren Lockwood, who stood down from the role last month.

Negotiations for WIN to take a 50 per cent stake in the club are continuing.

"We're very keen to see WIN be a long-term partner in the management and ongoing development of the Dragons," Doust said.

"Nobody, we don't believe, in the position of stakeholders in the game, such as the [ARL] Commission or NRL, is unhappy with our governance model. We always want to be contemporary and improve."

Widdop will form a potent scrum-base combination with Broncos halfback Ben Hunt in 2018 after the Englishman agreed to a revised four-year deal.

It leaves Widdop's former club Melbourne empty-handed in their pursuit of Cooper Cronk's replacement with another halves target Kieran Foran likely to wind up at the Bulldogs.

"The Dragons have grown more and more since I've arrived," Widdop said. "There's a good environment here and it's a good place to be so I wanted to play my part in that.

"At this stage of my career it certainly was a big decision for my family. I have three young kids, I'm very settled here in Wollongong and I'm enjoying my time here. So while it was a big decision, I'm happy to be staying."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ding-paul-mcgregors-deal-20170421-gvq5tq.html

After reading the above article, I have to say that now I am convinced that the Dragons will extend Mary's contract - unless of course if the wheels fall off in a major way.

mickeylane

Bench

Adam Pengilly

Dragons directors have taken the first steps towards extending Paul McGregor's tenure as coach after St George Illawarra boss Peter Doust trumpeted his future as a long-term NRL coach on the back of the Red V's stunning revival.
On the day they locked up in-demand skipper Gareth Widdop for a further four years, Doust on Saturday launched a passionate defence of the club's decision to relieve McGregor of recruiting responsibilities to model their business on AFL and American sporting organisations.

It has freed up McGregor to mould the Dragons into surprise table-toppers leading into the Anzac Day showdown with the Roosters after a superb early season run that has confounded critics who thought he would be the first coach axed in 2017.

The Dragons refuse to put a time frame on announcing their coach for next year, but Doust told Fairfax Media "common sense would say we're starting to contemplate" an extension for McGregor.

"We're all very happy with the way 2017 has been going, but we haven't got a time frame on which we have to apply a decision on this circumstance," Doust said. "It doesn't have to be done by the end of April or the end of May.

"I don't know that anybody should think we haven't had a commitment to Paul and don't think he has a long-term future as an NRL coach. We've stood by him in that sense as well.

"The decision is for the board and they'll make that when they think it is appropriate."

If it wasn't already a fait accompli, victory over the Roosters and fellow high-flyers Melbourne in the next fortnight before the representative round will all but seal McGregor's future, which appeared increasingly bleak last year.

1492873308566.jpg

Long term future: Dragons boss Peter Doust has talked up Paul McGregor as the future of the Dragons. Photo: John Veage
Doust denied the Dragons had erred by taking recruitment responsibilities away from McGregor and handing them to Ian Millward, who will turn his attention to tying down Josh Dugan, despite claiming he is viewed as a long-term centre.

It has been in contrast to McGregor openly stressing Dugan is the best No.1 in the club.

1492873308566.jpg

Four more years: Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop has also signed on for another four years. Photo: Getty Images
Doust said Dugan was "a marquee player and a priority" for the Dragons despite the seeming gulf between the club's valuation and his management's asking price.

"I think it's surprising the way some people have reacted [to McGregor's press conference on Wednesday] and their lack of knowledge of what's happening in the modern sporting environment," Doust said.

"It was one of the areas we could achieve a marked improvement with in 2017. We're happy with the way that separation between recruitment and coaching of the team – I think the players are too – has been going.

"And we think it's the modern model in how football clubs should operate going forward.

"Coaches are to be working on the performance of the team. In this hot marketplace we're in at the moment the recruitment manager would be receiving 20-odd calls a day and having to return them.

"How does a coach, if he's concentrated and focused on his priorities, try to fit that into a day and be allocating the right sorts of priorities in terms of the team and its performance?

"We can look at [Ian] Millward's accountability as list manager over three to five years being a development club and then we have the coach to manage a roster he has been provided with from one year to the next."

The Dragons shake-up has also included the front office with Brian Johnston taking over as chairman from 16-year boss Warren Lockwood, who stood down from the role last month.

"We're very keen to see WIN be a long-term partner in the management and ongoing development of the Dragons," Doust said.

"Nobody, we don't believe, in the position of stakeholders in the game, such as the [ARL] Commission or NRL, is unhappy with our governance model. We always want to be contemporary and improve."

Widdop will form a potent scrum-base combination with Broncos halfback Ben Hunt in 2018 after the Englishman agreed to a revised four-year deal.

It leaves Widdop's former club Melbourne empty-handed in their pursuit of Cooper Cronk's replacement with another halves target Kieran Foran likely to wind up at the Bulldogs.

"The Dragons have grown more and more since I've arrived," Widdop said. "There's a good environment here and it's a good place to be so I wanted to play my part in that.

"At this stage of my career it certainly was a big decision for my family. I have three young kids, I'm very settled here in Wollongong and I'm enjoying my time here. So while it was a big decision, I'm happy to be staying."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ding-paul-mcgregors-deal-20170421-gvq5tq.html

After reading the above article, I have to say that now I am convinced that the Dragons will extend Mary's contract - unless of course if the wheels fall off in a major way.
There's no doubt and it will be for 2 years ..

possm

Coach
Well as much as I don't like this idea, I'm afraid the wheels look like they're in motion.

giboz71

First Grade
For all on here that were so keen to have Hasler and Cleary replace Mary (including myself), how many happened to catch the Bulldogs and Tigers game today to see their "coaching" in action?

Was the biggest cripple fight of the year. Even with all the internationals and Origin stars on the field including the Big 4 from the Tigers, it was barely NSW Cup standard.

We're streets ahead of both those sides this year.

Crush

Coach
Well as much as I don't like this idea, I'm afraid the wheels look like they're in motion.
Our club is the new model. Its true what giboz71 says, the bulldogs and tigers today were not first grade level. With all their stars, their coaches have those teams in a rabble. Unfair on cleary probably I know, but whats Des excuse? The dogs were a shambles. Diabolical. In attack they are lost.
I will stick with our systems and our coach thanks very much....

giboz71

First Grade
Our club is the new model. Its true what giboz71 says, the bulldogs and tigers today were not first grade level. With all their stars, their coaches have those teams in a rabble. Unfair on cleary probably I know, but whats Des excuse? The dogs were a shambles. Diabolical. In attack they are lost.
I will stick with our systems and our coach thanks very much....

Spot on.

I've been saying for ages people overstate how much a coach actually influences a teams result. Yes a coach is important, but if your 17 guys don't perform on the field, I don't care if your Hasler, Bennett or the ghost of Jack Gibson. Your team won't be successful. Poor old Des is finding that out hence the need for a clean out over at the Dogs.

The biggest difference with us this year is that the 17 guys are actually performing to expectations. Widdop , McCrone, JDB and Lafai in particular are streets ahead of where they were last year.

I think this more than anything has helped us win, more than Mary suddenly learning how to coach.

Saintsified

Bench
Spot on.

I've been saying for ages people overstate how much a coach actually influences a teams result. Yes a coach is important, but if your 17 guys don't perform on the field, I don't care if your Hasler, Bennett or the ghost of Jack Gibson. Your team won't be successful. Poor old Des is finding that out hence the need for a clean out over at the Dogs.

The biggest difference with us this year is that the 17 guys are actually performing to expectations. Widdop , McCrone, JDB and Lafai in particular are streets ahead of where they were last year.

I think this more than anything has helped us win, more than Mary suddenly learning how to coach.
Or Mary always knew how to coach and the players were dumbasses who couldnt execute till this season.

Life's Good

Coach

Adam Pengilly

1492873308566.jpg

1492873308566.jpg

There were simply no better options. The club may have wanted Cleary, Hasler or even Madge but for whatever reason they knocked us back. I have been saying for some time the planets were aligning for Mary to be re-signed, which I wasn't happy with but am now starting to accept as a few things are coming together - recruitment, retention, playing style etc. To repeat, it will be a marriage of convenience with some love on the way.

possm

Coach
Spot on.

Bennett at the Dragons for 3 years.

I'd say the recruitment of players long term could heavily influence the success of a team. If the coach can keep good players happy and up to the challenge each week, the player's combination factor is a plus.

However, if a long term contracted player becomes too comfortable and not challenged for his position, form can easily drop.

So many things can change over time so I like the idea of shorter contracts - max 3 years.

possm

Coach
There were simply no better options. The club may have wanted Cleary, Hasler or even Madge but for whatever reason they knocked us back. I have been saying for some time the planets were aligning for Mary to be re-signed, which I wasn't happy with but am now starting to accept as a few things are coming together - recruitment, retention, playing style etc. To repeat, it will be a marriage of convenience with some love on the way.
Unfortunately, the Dragons will struggle with an ebb and flow in form on the paddock while ever Mary is our head coach. The players have bought into our current style mainly because they had a big say in its form. If things go wrong and the style is changed in an effort to address a losing streak, the wheel will turn.

We have a one trick pony as a head coach and the trick happens to be the simplest trick in the book. When the trick grows tired, the cupboard is bare.

possm

Coach
For all on here that were so keen to have Hasler and Cleary replace Mary (including myself), how many happened to catch the Bulldogs and Tigers game today to see their "coaching" in action?

Was the biggest cripple fight of the year. Even with all the internationals and Origin stars on the field including the Big 4 from the Tigers, it was barely NSW Cup standard.

Are you really saying that Cleary, Hasler, Mage or any other first grade coach could not do what Mary is doing? Not having recruitment/pathways the responsibility of the coach, only makes things easier for the coach - that is if the person running recruitment/pathways is up to the job. Time will tell how effective this system is at the Dragons. I would have thought that Mullholland at least would have done as well as Millwood; maybe much better.

FlameThrower

Bench
We can scratch, Hasler and Cleary.
I can't see what a Walters would do, as he will be starting from scratch? And JD I can't see him coming back and again we start with a rookie coach.
Admit it, McGregor has done a great job so far, he has been instrumental in turning this team of disjointed players, who sometimes looked like they had just met up in the carpark at game day to be a super tight, happy squad with pride in the jersey. Everyone is playing well, and the players have respect in the coach . We may not win the comp this year, but the platform is being laid to challenge for it within the next 2 seasons IMO.
He deserves a 2 year extension, with 3rd in clubs favour,

FlameThrower

Bench
More or less I stated the same thing below.....

FlameThrower

Bench

....not a great game, apart from last 5 minutes of panic ad-lib football..

giboz71

First Grade
Are you really saying that Cleary, Hasler, Mage or any other first grade coach could not do what Mary is doing? Not having recruitment/pathways the responsibility of the coach, only makes things easier for the coach - that is if the person running recruitment/pathways is up to the job. Time will tell how effective this system is at the Dragons. I would have thought that Mullholland at least would have done as well as Millwood; maybe much better.

Well if we're assessing Hasler on his recruitment how do you think he's gone?

Latest posts