What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons missed the boat with Hunt

Kaz

junior
http://www.broncos.com.au/index.cfm?TopMenuID=266&MenuID=296&NewsID=916

Dragons missed the boat with Hunt
by Dave Donaghy
Saturday May 29, 2004

If Dragons coach Nathan Brown had heeded the advice of scout Craig Young midway through last season, 17-year-old Broncos sensation Karmichael Hunt may well be strutting his stuff in red and white rather than maroon and gold.

Brown hesitated when told by Young to sign Hunt at any cost after the former St George coach watched him play in a schoolboys carnival in Brisbane last year.

The decision came back to haunt Brown on Friday night with Hunt scoring a crucial try early in second half in between dazzling the Dragons defence with his trademark mid-air jink.

Hunt’s try in the 44th minute handed the Broncos the lead for good with Stuart Kelly crossing for the match-winner ten minutes from full-time.

“He’s a terrific player,” Brown said.

“Craig Young who scouts for us watched him play last year and said give him $80,000 (to lure him to Sydney).

“I said ‘where would we play him?’ And he (Young) said ‘wing, fullback, centre, five eighth, lock – doesn’t matter because he’ll play first grade and play for Australia for the next 12 years’.”

Biglance

Bench
well you cant have em all and besides brisbane and their supporters are full of shit anyway so i wouldnt trust a word that comes out of their mouths and that comes from first hand info

Anonymous

Juniors
Its a pretty dumb article... 'missed the boat' suggests that they got one over on us which doesnt make sense.

As Browny said: “where would we play him?"

Saints are fairly rich in backs... we always seem to looking for an extra forward.

I'm sure with Lockyer moving to five eighth, the Broncos depth was being tested up back so good luck to the Hunt and to the Broncos. Seems like they need him more than we do.

He's a great talent and I'm sure he'll do fine.

Still on the subject of Hunt, there's a big call to throw him into Origin. He's only 17 right? Seems a tad early and a little too risky to test the kid at Origin level.

Willow please, this was shaping up in to a nice Queenslander bashing thread until you addressed the issue at hand.

Now back to square one – how many Queenslanders does it take too fix a light bulb?

Anonymous

Juniors
Denis'saints'Freak said:
Willow please, this was shaping up in to a nice Queenslander bashing thread until you addressed the issue at hand.
lol.. sorry

Denis'saints'Freak said:
Now back to square one – how many Queenslanders does it take too fix a light bulb?
I don't know Ollie, how many Queenslanders does it take too fix a light bulb?

Kaz

junior
Willow said:
Still on the subject of Hunt, there's a big call to throw him into Origin. He's only 17 right? Seems a tad early and a little too risky to test the kid at Origin level.

Bennett has said he is too young for Origin.

So I don't think he will be picked this year.

Collateral

Coach
Yeah but give him a year or so and we wont be able to afford him...same old story, plus Hornby wont be moved from Fullback even if we bought the next Langlands. (I was going to say minichello but he got shafted for hornby #-o )

miccle

Bench
Biglance said:
well you cant have em all and besides brisbane and their supporters are full of sh*t anyway so i wouldnt trust a word that comes out of their mouths and that comes from first hand info

Willow you were only too quick to jump on the posts made by broncos fans in the other thread. I don't want to be overly picky or look like a bad sport, but honestly this one was worse than both of the other posts.

Anonymous

Juniors
Sorry, I don't follow. Everyone has an opinion and entitled to it. Since when was I accountable for what other folk say?

miccle

Bench
EG and a few other broncos supporters had a jibe at you guys in the other thread, and willow was straight in there going on about how it was poor form to say stuff like that. But when you, a fellow saints supporter, makes a comment that is just as bad - nothing is said. That's all i was hinting at.