What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Recruitment Update

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons Recruitment Update
Tue 13th June, 12:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward has provided another Dragons Recruitment Update.

Millward discusses key 2017 departures Josh Dugan, Taane Milne and Russell Packer, and who may replace them in the years to come.

The futures of off-contract duo Drew Hutchison and Kurt Mann are also given light to by Millward, and where each sits in negotiations currently.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/13/dragons_recruitment_.html

denis preston

First Grade
Say's it all really. I wonder if other clubs are as open to advise members on this part of the clubs business ?

looking for a big bopper to replace Packer. Fullback replacement from in house. Come on Mary lets see our future at 1 this year. Dufty's got to be given a go.

Doesn't look like they want to create any openings for competitors to steal the juniors they want to keep as well.

Dufty should be given a go this putting Nighty at the back reeks of safeness and shows Mary is a bit of a coward.

How on earth are they ever going to know unless they just bite the bullet and say hey Matt its your time give it everything you got.

If he fails so be it he won't be the first or last player to do that.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Dufty should be given a go this putting Nighty at the back reeks of safeness and shows Mary is a bit of a coward.

How on earth are they ever going to know unless they just bite the bullet and say hey Matt its your time give it everything you got.

If he fails so be it he won't be the first or last player to do that.
100% mate 100%

saintm

Juniors
Say's it all really. I wonder if other clubs are as open to advise members on this part of the clubs business ?

looking for a big bopper to replace Packer. Fullback replacement from in house. Come on Mary lets see our future at 1 this year. Dufty's got to be given a go.

Doesn't look like they want to create any openings for competitors to steal the juniors they want to keep as well.
Same old same old team vs parra no surprises,Mary dosen"t want to have a look into the future.How many years did he sign for?Dufty picked the wrong club to be a junior at.Other clubs or should i say most clubs when a chance comes along like this get given a go,this is bullshit. I hope when win!

I have seen enough of Matt to know he has faults but they are outweighed by some of the brilliant stuff he can do.

He is a very good link man and his passing game is spot on.

He has oodles of pace and very good vision.

Positioning has gotten better when defending but he does need to be more mindful about letting bombs bounce.

Overall either give him a go or let him move on.

mickeylane

Bench
On the weekend 2 rookies cost us tries
Sele
Milne

you feel like more tries being leaked for the sake of trialling untried players?

No thanks...proven players only to be chosen during this part of the campaign until we are certain the youngsters are ready and we have tied up a top 8 position - Milne keeps making the same mistake over and over - rushes out of the defense line like he's had a snort of speed or something - brain explosion king...FFS ...is he a block head or what? Im sure the coaches have told him to stay in the line but he doesn't listen so what do you do...? You stay with the more experienced players who listen...

I remember Dragons had one of the slowest centres ever in nicknamed the Penguin - everyone hated him but he was so disciplined...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sele
Milne

Spot on ML. And all we hear is how bad Mary is as a coach. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Maybe if Saints can get to 30 pts (5 more wins) and more or less guarantee a finals berth, then they can maybe throw in a junior or 2 in the final games. Until then they can't afford to take risks like yesterday. Saints really needed that win. 1 less team to worry about for the top 8, now they have given them a sniff.

possm

Coach
Sele
Milne

you feel like more tries being leaked for the sake of trialling untried players?

No thanks...proven players only to be chosen during this part of the campaign until we are certain the youngsters are ready and we have tied up a top 8 position - Milne keeps making the same mistake over and over - rushes out of the defense line like he's had a snort of speed or something - brain explosion king...FFS ...is he a block head or what? Im sure the coaches have told him to stay in the line but he doesn't listen so what do you do...? You stay with the more experienced players who listen...

I remember Dragons had one of the slowest centres ever in nicknamed the Penguin - everyone hated him but he was so disciplined...

Milne is on his way out but who else do we have for right centre right now.

Mary should find an ex-international centre to coach our centres in an effort to improve their defensive and attacking work ......... hold on!

slippery5

Juniors
Sele
Milne

Jesus I forgot about the Penguin, here I was thinking McGregor was a slowest centre ever, hence his unwillingness to put anyone in who possesses any speed.!!!!!!

hewi

Bench
Sele
Milne

Mate, the Penguin, what a great footballer. One of my favourites. Terry Hill once said he hate playing against him because he was so tough.

Life's Good

Coach
Sele
Milne

I get your point ML but you can't keep the juniors and back fill with poor quality replacements(we have had those). We are in a decent spot on the ladder so now is as good a time as any. Further an astute coach would build a plan to support blooding rookies. I don't know if Mary is that coach but it's time he earns his pay.

The calm one

Juniors
Milne is on his way out but who else do we have for right centre right now.

Mary should find an ex-international centre to coach our centres in an effort to improve their defensive and attacking work ......... hold on!
I thought Mat Cppper was doing that, correct me if I am wrong

SEAT 1A

Bench
Mate, the Penguin, what a great footballer. One of my favourites. Terry Hill once said he hate playing against him because he was so tough.

Same here hewi, The Penguin was a champion and never took a backwards step and was quick enough to get the job done.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I too liked the Penguin as he was a great player to watch. I think that Robert Finch was our slowest player.
He had a good pass and could defend well buy was merely a link man.

j0nesy

Bench
Another good interview with Millward. Totally agree with his approach to recruitment and player pathways.

In the market for a forward and not a fullback as he believes there are plenty of options there within the club.

Have backed Aitken and Lafai as the centres, looking at Herbert, Lomax and Mann as cover.

Interesting to hear him say that Mann was recruited as cover for left centre and offers good utility. Could even be a future 9 or 13 (not sure about lock).

Club has made an offer to Mann and Hutch.

Latest posts