What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Recruitment Update

saintm

Juniors
Yeah, Origin time when a lot of top players from all teams are out is a terrible time to blood juniors. Smart coaches like Bellamy always replace their origin stars with plodworthy journeyman. Guys like Brodie Croft, Brandon Smith and so on definitely didn't get their debuts during origin time...
I wish Mary was Bellamy. How will a kid like Dufty show anyone what he can do with first grade players around him if he never gets a chance. McVision has nothing but tunnel vision and that's why it will be a long two years. He pisses me off big time

denis preston

First Grade
Finally some who really understands. It is so hard to believe that with Hunt in 2018, we finally had a squad to contest a GF. Then what happens, Dugan and Packer on their way. And to make things worse, no like for like or better replacements.

So that will set us back about two years. Mary can put his feet up, take the cash and has a ready-made excuse for the next two years. Like winning lotto!

You mean " Finally someone who understands my vendetta against Millward " Your opinions are tarnished by comments like the Vaughan signing was a fluke and not mentioning Mcinnes at all in regard to millwards pickups.

mickeylane

Bench
It's better to debut players in a team that is going well as opposed to a team that is losing.
No No No!!
Teams like Tigers, Newcastle, Gold Coast, Souths will blood young players because they are no chance of making the finals..so they can risk..watch the Roosters, Broncos, Sharks...not a newbie in sight...FFS Roosters have a 2 guns in Matterson and Watson and Robinson came out today to say that he won't be pressure by supporters or players mgt to blood them until they are ready for first grade - up until then its bench action at best and lower grades till they're ready..

denis preston

First Grade
At this point of the Comp u cannot afford to blood inexperienced players - MADNESS!!

Oh how easily we forget the Bird scenario. These younger players just need one or 2 games to attune themselves with what is required to play NRL. If you don't give youth a go some other club will. Understand that physicality is a issue ( eg Field ) but I hope the other coaches & conditioners are being listened to by Mary.They would know more if they are ready than he would

BringTheNoise

Juniors
No No No!!
Teams like Tigers, Newcastle, Gold Coast, Souths will blood young players because they are no chance of making the finals..so they can risk..watch the Roosters, Broncos, Sharks...not a newbie in sight...FFS Roosters have a 2 guns in Matterson and Watson and Robinson came out today to say that he won't be pressure by supporters or players mgt to blood them until they are ready for first grade - up until then its bench action at best and lower grades till they're ready..

Only sentence you wrote worth reading was the last one "till they're ready". If they're ready, put them in. And as I said it's much easier to debut in a winning team than one getting pumped every week.

Would you feel more comfortable making your debut for Melbourne Storm or Newcastle Knights?

possm

Coach
We have lost 4 of the past 5 games and still keep McCrone in place. There are no real excuses other than Mary's bloody favourite rule.

Old Timer

Coach
Can anyone please inform me the last 3 players who were current internationals or SOO we actually signed and when?
Benji, Packer were not current at the time of signing so they don't count.
A few have come to us and then gone onto become rep players but I am struggling to think who we have gained who was incumbent in rep football in recent years.
Next season we obviously loose 2 such players and the alarming thing for me is our total inability to bring in top line performers to our club.
People will say what about Hunt and he may be terrific but we paid top $$$ for a person not in any rep teams.
There is something sadly amiss in this area.

BennyV

Referee
No No No!!
Lol, are you high?

Sharks have played all year with a rookie in the number 9.
Melbourne opt for Croft, Smith and Jacks to cover their spine injuries. All rookies.

Hell, even your hero Alex Johnston debuted in a team at the top and went on to win a premiership.

I'm not a fan of shoving juniors in willy nilly but to claim that Origin is a bad time, or that you shouldn't introduce juniors to teams doing well is among the more ridiculous claims you've made (and that's a tough field!).

Replacing Dugan with Nightingale at this is weak coaching IMO.

Old Timer

Coach
Lol, are you high?

Sharks have played all year with a rookie in the number 9.
Melbourne opt for Croft, Smith and Jacks to cover their spine injuries. All rookies.

Hell, even your hero Alex Johnston debuted in a team at the top and went on to win a premiership.

I'm not a fan of shoving juniors in willy nilly but to claim that Origin is a bad time, or that you shouldn't introduce juniors to teams doing well is among the more ridiculous claims you've made (and that's a tough field!).

Replacing Dugan with Nightingale at this is weak coaching IMO.
Funny he left Penrith and Cowboys out of his response and they seem to have a shit load of young players getting into 1st grade.
In Penrith's case it might prove a season defining moment.
I did laugh at the reference to the "tough field" of posts for consideration.
No doubt plenty more to come.
PS: Evidently according to Mickeylane bench section to be part of the forward rotation is not blooding a young player.
So does that mean if you don't pick a young player and instead pick a seasoned player, that because he's only the bench he's not really playing?

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I don't think Mary doesn't want to give the young guys a chance, he has tried Host and Sele. Since his early days coaching, he always spoke about having experienced guys hence we got McCrone.

As Mary matures and with his position now secure for the next 2 years, Mary has a free shot to blood Field and Duffy. If they don't perform, he has the excuse of Origin Affected teams, yet he can claim that this aims the long term good of the dragons.

If they work, the pieces of the puzzle become clearer for next year.

Also, Mary needs to keep people in the same positions week to week, particularly our much criticised backline, has regularly changed every week for the past couple of months. The forwards are less of an issue, however the changes affect our fluidity in attack, and our positioning in defence. Hence, moving Nightingale to Fullback changes the composition of our centre wing combination again. I would rather keep Nightingale on the wing and try either Mann at Fullback or Duffy. At least people are playing their preferred positions.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I think Millward could've said he would give all dragons fans $5000 for turning up to the next game and have been criticised.

He is very clear in his strategy, which is a good thing. Regardless of you like it or not, there is a clear vision/direction.

He wants to promote from within around our backline, acknowledging the number of players we have who can play 1 or have poitential, indicating guys like Herbert and Lomax, while they develop are the backups for Lafai and Aitken. There is clarity with Herbert playing nsw cup to get experience playing with men.

I found it very interesting about the Mann piece that they had him as a left centre and by the sounds of it Lafai would've been gone but for his form this year, which means Mann is really valuable in the utility role - Millward alluded to that too.

For those bagging the club for having these updates - personally I like them. Regardless of wthether I agree with the strategy or not at least I'm up to date and have an understanding of the thought process with recruitment.

Like you Milan D, I enjoy Millward's updates and appreciate getting an insight into the rationale behind his decision-making. In this particular interview what was especially pleasing for me was the news that Hutch has been offered a contract. I certainly hope he re-signs. I returned from a years' employment overseas last year just in time to catch the Cutters' Final, GF and Interstate victories. Hutch was a standout in those matches. I loved his combination with Quinlan. In addition he has made all the junior rep teams, indicative of his acknowledged skills. Ok, we may be covered in the half and 5/8 positions but he should be a valuable back up and possesses the skills to force his way into other positions. Think of the players who have played 5/8 and backrow such as Fittler, Dymock, Graham, Anasta........ Could he even have a crack at fullback?

Clearly under Price and Mary the policy with youth has been to give them time in the NSW Cup. Whether you agree with this policy or not it is obvious that Hutch has done his time there, picking up a premiership in the process. I hope it's our club who reaps the benefit of his completion of this pathway.

Como Connection

First Grade
Like you Milan D, I enjoy Millward's updates and appreciate getting an insight into the rationale behind his decision-making. In this particular interview what was especially pleasing for me was the news that Hutch has been offered a contract. I certainly hope he re-signs. I returned from a years' employment overseas last year just in time to catch the Cutters' Final, GF and Interstate victories. Hutch was a standout in those matches. I loved his combination with Quinlan. In addition he has made all the junior rep teams, indicative of his acknowledged skills. Ok, we may be covered in the half and 5/8 positions but he should be a valuable back up and possesses the skills to force his way into other positions. Think of the players who have played 5/8 and backrow such as Fittler, Dymock, Graham, Anasta........ Could he even have a crack at fullback?

Clearly under Price and Mary the policy with youth has been to give them time in the NSW Cup. Whether you agree with this policy or not it is obvious that Hutch has done his time there, picking up a premiership in the process. I hope it's our club who reaps the benefit of his completion of this pathway.
Agree.
They tell me he is a really good guy.
By the way Hutchison is my Grandfather's name on Mum's side.
Perhaps we are related as I'm also a really good guy.
CC

GC Dragon

Juniors
I wish Mary was Bellamy. How will a kid like Dufty show anyone what he can do with first grade players around him if he never gets a chance. McVision has nothing but tunnel vision and that's why it will be a long two years. He pisses me off big time
Agree. I thought this week would have been a chance to see Dufty play first grade . If you look at the internal options for fullback next year we have Nighty who won't have the legs and would really offer nothing in attack , Masters is only 17 and years away . Field much the same not ready and at least a few years off and Mann who should leave to further his career .

So if Dufty doesn't work out the best option could well be Widdop . If reports on 360 are true and the Sharks may let Maloney move on it may be a better option to chase him for that left side 5/8 spot and have Widdop at the back . It would give us a ball playing fullback with some speed who is a good defender . Our kicking options would be a million times better then this year . Not sure how he would handle the high ball but he is a class player who I am sure would adapt ....Just a idea .

Dufty is wasting his time at the club thats the honest truth.

Nightingale at the back again is safe, he tries hard but he is to slow and offers little just like him being on the wing.

Shift McDonald to his preferred side and you may see better results.

Maloney no chance it would be nice but if he was to leave the sharks and thats a big if he will chase a massive pay packet and the Dragons just won't pay.

As long as Mary continues to play the safe game the Dragons will continue to be a middle of the road club.

Toafofoa Sipley from the Warriors would be worth a look.

Young forward who has played first grade and has told the Warriors he's heading to sydney.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Agree. I thought this week would have been a chance to see Dufty play first grade . If you look at the internal options for fullback next year we have Nighty who won't have the legs and would really offer nothing in attack , Masters is only 17 and years away . Field much the same not ready and at least a few years off and Mann who should leave to further his career .

So if Dufty doesn't work out the best option could well be Widdop . If reports on 360 are true and the Sharks may let Maloney move on it may be a better option to chase him for that left side 5/8 spot and have Widdop at the back . It would give us a ball playing fullback with some speed who is a good defender . Our kicking options would be a million times better then this year . Not sure how he would handle the high ball but he is a class player who I am sure would adapt ....Just a idea .
So Cronk to Cronulla and Maloney to Souths.

WardyRedV

Juniors
The way I see Mary approaching the experience vs juniors scenario is sort of like a leading hand on a contruction site. If the project is running behind would you rather an apprentice who is out of his depth or a halfback who has played in a finals series and has 140 odd games under his belt.. I know it's not a great analogy but you can see where he's coming from. He knows what he's going to get and I still think McCrone does his job well but his kicking game does hamper us considerably. Same thing with the fullback position. The game is as tough and aggressive as it's ever been and if you throw a 80kg kid into it week in, week out, he will break. Benji missed years of his career from injuries sustained in his late teens to early twenties. Even Bevan French has missed half this season and it may only get worse for him.

Last edited:

Latest posts