What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Korbin Sims

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Korbin is a good signing, but he needs to learn how to sustain his effort. He's aggressive for about 8 minutes then he backs right off.

Pickers needs to get him fit and hopefully the massive jump in quality of our pack compared to the Broncos' will push him to lift to that next level.

Gareth67

First Grade
Pleased , the chap has plenty of venom in him and will only be better when playing with his BIG brother who will spur him on to greater heights. Now I would like one more big sod who can rip into other teams .

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
where are all the millward haters? the bloke hasn't missed a beat. everytime we need a replacement player we get one.. we need a winger and a centre millward will make this happen .

Surely Herbert, Lomax and even Marsters comes into calculations next year. If we bomb out in the semis this year, I’m guessing our back 5 will be the major reason.

Wasn’t there some whispers we were after Mosby from the Cows? He’ll add some much needed speed.

Old Timer

Coach
Not sure he is exactly an upgrade on LAM who is extremely consistent however he is a considerable upgrade on Latimore.
If we are playing Graham next year, then we only have room for 1 old player so Latimorte's spot has to go to someone younger and with up side from playing in the top grade consistently.
The effectiveness of our forwards is going to rely on doing the same thing regardless of who is on the paddock, so well and truly time for youth to be the essence of what we do.
I was against the Tariq signing and he has certainly proved me wrong this year, so hopefully Korbin will settle in and make the same giant leaps as his brother but with a bit of luck even sooner.

Old Timer

Coach
where are all the millward haters? the bloke hasn't missed a beat. everytime we need a replacement player we get one.. we need a winger and a centre millward will make this happen .
Settle down a bit it is not as if he just signed a SOO or Kangaroo prop.
Korbin has potential but isn't exactly setting the world on fire nor is he an upgrade on LAM.
Get back to me when we get the winger and centre or in fact we elevate from within our own ranks because what we have is a tad ordinary.

giboz71

First Grade
Korbin has potential but isn't exactly setting the world on fire nor is he an upgrade on LAM.
Get back to me when we get the winger and centre or in fact we elevate from within our own ranks because what we have is a tad ordinary.

I remember some said the same thing about Tariq and Vaughan.

They’ve gone ok yeh?

Agree about centre/winger. Millward seems to know how to pick up good forwards. Needs to apply that to some speedy backs now.

Old Timer

Coach
I remember some said the same thing about Tariq and Vaughan.

They’ve gone ok yeh?

Agree about centre/winger. Millward seems to know how to pick up good forwards. Needs to apply that to some speedy backs now.
Very odd that our forwards are progressing (still some horrible deficiencies) but our rep centre coach has not improved the skill set of the backs at all.
We no doubt have an aggressive pack and if they get on top can dish it out, however when dominated they look a bit clueless at different stages of the game and the ruck defence is still a major worry at times but there are obvious signs of them getting better.
The backs do click occasionally on the back of forward domination but the good opposition sides have far better / faster / consistent attacking players.
I will be very interested to see what we do re centres and wingers coming to the club & as much as I was his biggest fan B Moz is a NO.

Bench
At least we have signed a prop with first grade experience. Instead of signing a fringe player.
Millward, who I think is doing a fairly good job with recruitment is the quite achiever.
We seem to be getting to a point with the forwards are with the promotion of Host etc. some what settled.
We just need Millward to try and get a decent winger.

Okay. If he's the third ranked of the three forwards we need for the bench. I'm waiting for the announcement on the other two better ones that we'll need to compete to win the comp next year. And the two big fast backs we'll need as well.

We'd better be working on more than $26K in TPAs in 2019.

giboz71

First Grade
Very odd that our forwards are progressing (still some horrible deficiencies) but our rep centre coach has not improved the skill set of the backs at all.
We no doubt have an aggressive pack and if they get on top can dish it out, however when dominated they look a bit clueless at different stages of the game and the ruck defence is still a major worry at times but there are obvious signs of them getting better.
The backs do click occasionally on the back of forward domination but the good opposition sides have far better / faster / consistent attacking players.
I will be very interested to see what we do re centres and wingers coming to the club & as much as I was his biggest fan B Moz is a NO.

Our back 5 all have weaknesses.

Dufty - too small and defensively suspect
Nene - Not aggressive enough, not particularly quick
Lafai - too slow, prone to silly offloads
Aitken - poor defensive reads, poor passer
Nighty - too old, too slow
Mann - way too nervous under pressure

Just not good enough to be a premiership quality back line. We might be able to carry some of those weaknesses, but collectively not all of them.

If we can’t transition Lomax and Herbert in particular, Millward needs to find other options.

Dragon for life

Juniors
Good signing, covers the loss of LAM but we need more. A decent winger and centre would be great if it happened.
Yeah I agree. Shouldn’t we be buying a backline? Young fellas could have filled this position. We need some good outside backs or are there some in the lower grades that Mary is working on. Lol

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Korbin Sims yeah ok. I've seen him play SOME good games and I've seen him play SOME shockers.
Inconsistant would be the appropriate word for him. Hopefully he can shine with a new environment and wuth the iead of his brother.
As far wingers, there aren't many Ado-Cars or Holmes available, in fact the 2 leading try scorers (so far) this year are not in that league of super quick. The difference lies in giving them space to work in.
We have enough speedy wingers in our club in Lomax, Herbert, Periera and even in the U20's in Gillard and Sailor and even huge raps on Jason Saab.
Opportunity is all thats required, however, and as i stated in another thread, our only thought is the old guard approach, flog it until it has no more breath mentality.

Korbin Sims is a good pick up. Unsure he is better than LAM who I have grown to appreciate.

Lawrie and Host are developing well and by next season will be ready to seriously contribute.

Leilua ought to be restricted to Super Sub in short bursts at key periods of a game.

Would be great if we picked up one more experienced quality forward. Haven’t seen Musgrave play. Wouldn’t mind Hetherington as every pack needs a lunatic.

As for backs, it’s time Mary gave Herbert and Lorax when fit the chance to cement first grade positions.

Flo is basically done.

Aitken and Lafai only appear effective when our forwards are completely dominant. We need better centres and wingers.

getsmarty

Immortal
Sims brothers to be reunited after St George Illawarra sign Korbin Sims
Local Sport
r0_74_3713_2170_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Big recruit: The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced the signing of Broncos forward Korbin Sims for the 2019, 2020 and 2021 seasons. Picture: AAP Image/Darren England.

Gerringong junior Korbin Sims will be reunited with brother Tariq Sims in a Dragons jumper in 2019 after he signed a three-year contract with the club.

The 26-year-old has played 112 games for the Knights and Broncos and seven Tests for Fiji and will slot into St George Illawarra’s forward pack.

A versatile forward, Sims will help plug the gap created by Leeson Ah Mau’s departure, with the Samoan international set to leave the club after seven seasons in Wollongong.

Dragons recruitment manager Ian Millward said the club sees Sims as an emerging forward capable of turning his potential into a Queensland Origin jumper.

"Korbin has some really good years in front of him,” Millward said. “We believe he is coming into his prime, and he brings us some stability and experience as well as being a really good replacement for Leeson moving forward.

“The club spoke to [Broncos coach] Wayne Bennett about Korbin and he gave him a big rap as a person and coachable-wise, and where he sees him developing moving forward. We're really pleased to get him on board.”

Sims will join a forward pack boasting Origin stars Tariq Sims, Jack De Belin, Tyson Frizell and Paul Vaughan, along with English prop James Graham and emerging youngster Luciano Leilua.

r0_153_4294_2567_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Reunited: Korbin Sims will join brother Tariq at the Dragons in 2019. Picture: Jonathan Carroll.

“We have some really good emerging forwards that Korbin will help in their development too, like Luciano Leilua, Jacob Host, Josh Kerr, Jackson Ford, Reece Robson and the like.

“We know how close Korbin was to playing for Queensland, and he's seen the advancement of Tariq to play Origin this season as well as Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell so we know he's keen to follow in their footsteps.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-st-george-illawarra-sign-korbin-sims/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons sign Korbin Sims from Brisbane Broncos
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_0_3713_2096_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Marching in: Korbin Sims will join brother, Tariq, at the Dragons from next season. Picture: Darren England/AAP Image

• St George Illawarra have added even more fire power to an already envious forward pack with the signing of Korbin Sims.

Sims will join the Dragons from Brisbane on a three-year contract starting next season, joining older brother Tariq in the red V.

The 26-year-old has represented Fiji at international level and has acted as Queensland’s 18th man for State of Origin.

Sims has played 112 NRL games for the Broncos and Newcastle and will join a forward pack already including representative stars James Graham, Paul Vaughan, Tyson Frizell and Jack de Belin.

Dragons director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward said Sims would be a welcome addition as a replacement for the New Zealand Warriors-bound Leeson Ah Mau.

“Korbin has some really good years in front of him. We believe he is coming into his prime, and he brings us some stability and experience as well as being a really good replacement for Leeson moving forward,” he said.

“The club spoke to [Brisbane coach] Wayne Bennett about Korbin and he gave him a big rap as a person and coachable-wise and where he sees him developing moving forward. We're really pleased to get him on board.

“We have some really good emerging forwards that Korbin will help in their development too like Luciano Leilua, Jacob Host, Josh Kerr, Jackson Ford, Reece Robson and the like.

“We know how close Korbin was to playing for Queensland and he's seen the advancement of Tariq to play Origin this season as well as Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell so we know he's keen to follow in their footsteps.”

St George Illawarra said in a statement Sims’ acquisition was a major step in completing the Dragons’ recruitment for 2019.
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5533582/dragons-add-another-sims/?cs=3833

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

My thoughts exactly.

K Sims runs hard but drops the ball - a lot. A useful acquisition but not really an upgrade on LAM. In the mean time we have good young forwards coming through, but still have a bog average backline. So what's to get excited about?

Latest posts