What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Korbin Sims

mobels

Juniors
Of course it's a risk but there was a whole heap of clubs lining up, risk well worth taking if you ask me
With your guys ability to move on players it’s good for you blokes, but for us as a club we’d end up in another Dan Hunt situation if he doesn’t work out.

Not to mention to get him to move we’d have to pay even more overs compared to you guys.

Frank Facer

First Grade
We don't have the Roosters, Broncos, Storm buckets of corporate cash.
Teddy may be on $750, but he get well over a million when the TPAs come into it.
It's seriously something the NRL needs to look at.
Well then our management should be doing everything in their power to get us the corporate cash that Easts, Brisbane and Melbourne have, if they can't accomplish this, then they should be sacked. If we can't compete with the big guns off the field, then we are always going to struggle to compete with them on the field. Illawarra juniors aren't going to win us premierships and if our juniors are any good then we have to pay them market value or we will lose them to other clubs.

The NRL has had many years to look at this and the situation is still exactly the same. It doesn't look like the NRL are going to do anything about this either.

We would be better off if someone rich with good contacts bought us and we made our headquarters at Kogarah. We wouldn't even need Illawarra's juniors. Easts and Melbourne are 2 of the competition heavy weights and they don't have any juniors to speak of.

Frank Facer

First Grade
With your guys ability to move on players it’s good for you blokes, but for us as a club we’d end up in another Dan Hunt situation if he doesn’t work out.

Not to mention to get him to move we’d have to pay even more overs compared to you guys.
I think Haas is a definite. Hunt was always lucky to be a bench player. Our management were shit stupid to sign Hunt to a big money long term contract. I certainly wouldn't have if I was our recruitment officer. At the same time B Morris and Nightingale were 2 of our highest paid players. I recall when dopey Doust resigned Morris, Nightingale and Hunt, that he referred to them as marquee signings. I couldn't believe it at the time. I still can't believe it. They were all on marquee money. What a monumental stuff up. Doust and Craig Young should have been sacked immediately after signing the above 3 mentioned players to big money contracts. Like as is there was much competition for Hunt's signature. As if there was much competition for Nightingale's signature. I recall reading that Nightingale was on 500K plus back then with representative bonuses. That was when the salary cap was over 35% less than it currently is too.

ouryears

Bench
So would you like Brisbane to have Nightingale on one of your wings and a centre pairing of Aitken and Lafai?

I don't think we were ever going to win a comp with those above mentioned players.
But Mary said he had the team he wanted.....so it’s still on him FF

Crush

Coach
I didn't rate Tariq before he got here, now we have a SOO standard forward.
I though we would be better off going after Nikorima instead of Hunt.
I was slightly annoyed we let Dugan go.
I thought Drew Hutcherson had a future.

I guess that's why we anonymously post on Internet forums and don't run football clubs.
Quality post. Its refreshing to hear someone that understands the reality.

Old Timer

Coach
Playing U20’s Origin, junior kangaroos,
Getting debuted by Bennett, signed by Bennett, poached and re-signed by Bennett, being selected by Bennett in his top 17 around 60 times, fringe Qld origin squad during their historically dominant period, 7 internationals for Fiji.
Seeing as Bennett generally is a pretty good judge that’s a pretty good resume
So the correct answer is no SOO & no Kangaroos so a resume similar to Lafai
Re Bennett cut J Moz and gave us Price and the Broncos Henjak and now gifted us Korbin
I think Bennett could coach but not so sure his recommendations have been very good thus far.
If it was choice of keeping LAM or buying Korbin I know which I would prefer so can’t see it as any kind of upgrade however certainly a better prospect than
Latimore.
Handy but not overly exciting IMO not yet anyway

Bench
Does any one know what happened with that English prop they were talking about earlier this year

Frank Facer

First Grade
But Mary said he had the team he wanted.....so it’s still on him FF
At the start of the year, I said that I had us 4th pick, but I was not happy with Aitken, Lafai or Nightingale. I said that we needed the likes of Lomax and another youngster to be promoted and for them and Dufty to be success stories. We were probably over achieving at the start of the year and that got us fans into a false sense of reality. Aitken was being talked up as a State Of Origin representative. Winning was masking our deficiencies. Now reality has set in again.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I don't rate korbin, but I've been very impressed with the way the club has developed Vaughan and Tariq, and hopefully we are about to see similar development for Korbin.

Certainly won't hurt to get him off the broncos maccas diet, and into a dragons preseason. Since the AFL bloke has been working with our forwards they all look very fit.
The Dragons are doing great stuff in the off-season and the club always starts strongly. Only dissappoint is our last 10 weeks of the season are dicey year after year. I Hope the team can prove me wrong. Particularly our forwards with the brutal defence which put us ahead of most teams earlier this season.

Drag Queen

Bench
The thing about Bennett recommending Korbin S. has really piqued my interest, Is it usual practise for an opposing coach to provide such a glowing assessment, especially when it was thought the Broncos wanted to retain him?

Is there any correlation between McGregor and Bennett’s future still undecided?

Dare to dream.
Ha, this has piqued my interest too. When was the last time Bennett spoke in glowing terms about any player? I can't recall any.

Drag Queen

Bench
Bennett wants to move into a Phil Gould style role at Brisbane after his current coaching stint is up
Can't see it tbh. Gould likes to talk a lot about nothing whilst Bennett is reluctant to raise an eyebrow, let alone throw his two cents into the media circus. If anything, I see Bennett making a move to ESL. Just a hunch though.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Can't see it tbh. Gould likes to talk a lot about nothing whilst Bennett is reluctant to raise an eyebrow, let alone throw his two cents into the media circus. If anything, I see Bennett making a move to ESL. Just a hunch though.
Bennett recently said that he wasn't interested in going to the ESL.