What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons social media data base numbers

Saintsified

Bench
Pretty disappointed we only have 171k facebook page fans and other clubs well over 400k...dont getting me started on Twitter etc. For a club as popular as ours why are our numbers so low? Is it cause we have no clue how to maximise it or our fans are dumb f**ks still using Nokia 3110 and Motorola StarTacs on 2G?

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Interesting question.

I can only assume it comes down to our social media and marketing team and their strategy. There really is no logical reason as to why we shouldn't at the very least be on par with other clubs.

In my experience the club is pretty poor as far as fan interaction goes. Perhaps other clubs do this better? Without following other club's pages it's hard for me to comment.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I'd like to think that the Dragons have the smartest supporters in the game and that we just don't get sucked in, consumed and wet our pants over all this social media crap......call me old fashioned but i just can't get into all these wank fest social media platforms.

But i suspect the reality might be that we have an ageing supporter demographic and that the club has possibly not done a very good job of enticing new blood into our supporter base. Teens to 35y/o would account for a huge percentage of users of these platforms and the clubs with higher social media interaction may be doing a better job with recruiting of new/younger supporters.

Gareth67

First Grade
Pretty disappointed we only have 171k facebook page fans and other clubs well over 400k...dont getting me started on Twitter etc. For a club as popular as ours why are our numbers so low? Is it cause we have no clue how to maximise it or our fans are dumb f**ks still using Nokia 3110 and Motorola StarTacs on 2G?

Saintsified , I may be one of those ' dumfooks ' that you are referring to , as it has taken me the best part of a year to fully grasp the intricacies of using my iPad - yes aniPad .

In my days the closest thing we had to a computer was a slide-rule 22/7 -equals Pye or thereabouts . To make matters worse for me , I have recently returned from a ' Genius Bar' so as they could reset my password ( yes I forgot the bluudy thing ) only to discover that they updated my device from iOS 7 to iOS 10.3 . Well what can I say , now it has all the bells and whistles that you would find at a Chinese wedding , what more can a man ask for ?

One day I intend to upgrade to a computer and who knows I will be able to twitter with the best of them , but for now I am content with my iPad and if I can get on this forum I will be happy with that . :innocent:

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Saintsified , I may be one of those ' dumfooks ' that you are referring to , as it has taken me the best part of a year to fully grasp the intricacies of using my iPad - yes aniPad .

In my days the closest thing we had to a computer was a slide-rule 22/7 -equals Pye or thereabouts . To make matters worse for me , I have recently returned from a ' Genius Bar' so as they could reset my password ( yes I forgot the bluudy thing ) only to discover that they updated my device from iOS 7 to iOS 10.3 . Well what can I say , now it has all the bells and whistles that you would find at a Chinese wedding , what more can a man ask for ?

One day I intend to upgrade to a computer and who knows I will be able to twitter with the best of them , but for now I am content with my iPad and if I can get on this forum I will be happy with that . :innocent:

Still got my sliderule Gareth. Really useful for scratching my back.

ALSGI

Bench
Interesting question.

I can only assume it comes down to our social media and marketing team and their strategy. There really is no logical reason as to why we shouldn't at the very least be on par with other clubs.

In my experience the club is pretty poor as far as fan interaction goes. Perhaps other clubs do this better? Without following other club's pages it's hard for me to comment.
Agree, our marketing team is shit, fan interaction is poor and they rely on an ageing demographic (as Dragons 09 posted) which will bite the club in the arse in the near future.
Wonder if the marketing team is an old boys set up as well? My son's in marketing overseas and has made the same observations, reckons it's amateurish and there's something severely lacking there.

Gareth67

First Grade
Still got my sliderule Gareth. Really useful for scratching my back.

Glad someone found a use for the bluudy things . My old man was so proud of me when I showed him how you could work-out certain calculations on the slide rule , reckons that I was the brains of the family , that really put a feather in my cap let me tell you .

But Johnno , what about those logarithms and cosigns , I could never get my head around them , try as I may they had me stumped . Turns out you dont need them for squealing pigs and collecting chicken eggs !

Last edited:

flamin

Juniors
We should just hire the Toronto Wolfpack's social media manager. Considering they're a new club in a non-rugby league country, their twitter account is miles ahead of ours with fan engagement, running contests and polls. Our account just seems to be a news feed with photos.

A good interview here with a member of their social media team shows what we could be doing a lot better:

http://socialmedialondon.co.uk/social-media-toronto-wolfpack/

Yes but the clubs aren't doing that. Talking real people.

Rubbish, almost 1/3 of all Facebook pages, Twitter feeds and YouTube channels followers are bots.

As to why I don't follow the Facebook page, well why would I? It's just full of more propaganda from the club that doesn't mean anything, they never reply to constructive criticism or question so it's kinda pointless......and I don't know what a Twitter is.

However, don't rely on numbers. Clubs like to tout their membership numbers, 30 000 this, 40 000 this.
But they aren't ticketed members, most only sign up for $5 to get their Chinese made hat and bumper stickers...........I'm looking at you Souths.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I'd like to think that the Dragons have the smartest supporters in the game and that we just don't get sucked in, consumed and wet our pants over all this social media crap......call me old fashioned but i just can't get into all these wank fest social media platforms.

But i suspect the reality might be that we have an ageing supporter demographic and that the club has possibly not done a very good job of enticing new blood into our supporter base. Teens to 35y/o would account for a huge percentage of users of these platforms and the clubs with higher social media interaction may be doing a better job with recruiting of new/younger supporters.
Not sure what's worse, the idea that Dragons supporters have a tendency to higher intelligence, or the idea that social media users are dumber than average people. Either way both are based on sample data not representative of the entire group at hand.

For the record, there is a link between social media use and slightly above average intelligence, as it often has a direct correlation to general web and computer knowledge. But of course the dickheads and 12 year olds understandably paint a poor picture for the demographic.

This place is about as bad as a Facebook NRL comments section most of the time anyway to be honest.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I prefer the old fashion social media......it's called the Pub! Use to get all the clubs news ,rumours and player signings face to face without looking at a little f**kin phone screen! Bring back the biff and the old ways.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
But Johnno , what about those logarithms and cosigns , I could never get my head around them , try as I may they had me stumped . Turns out you dont need them for squealing pigs and collecting chicken eggs ![/QUOTE]

Gareth
Or for most things in life.

It's not the Fans' fault.
The whole social media and internet profile of our club is old hat and dreary.
Content is what it's all about and our content is run of the mill and boring.
Social media has now become a commercial science that needs real investment and input.
Given the way the club is run and the long toothed nature of the Board, it is not surprising that we are lagging behind the times.
It is not enough to have a website and Facebook page.
You actually have to pump it with interesting content and especially video content.
I am not sure our mob knows what it requires to grow social media following.
If the figures you quote are true, they are pathetic for a club like St. George.