What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons State of Origin possibles & probables.

BennyV

Referee
Cook has enough speed and skill to fill in as a utility - he spent much of his junior days playing fullback and has also played in the halves.
McInnes has the size and strength to fill in at lock. Korisau has the skill and ability to lay halves or lock. Utilising one of these guys as the 'utility' would have great value.

I cant imagine why Mitch Rein isn't in the running though...

getsmarty

Immortal
KICKOFF: Sims has plenty to offer Origin arena
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3895_2597_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PUTTING HIS HAND UP: Tariq Sims' form is bringing him closer the elusive NSW jumper he seemed destined for when he burst on the scene with North Queensland seven seasons ago. Picture: Adam McLean
“Pick them all,” was Phil Gould’s cry as the Dragons did a job on Cronulla last week.

Gus is of course partial to hyperbole while in the midst of a call but, the way the Dragons are currently playing, it was only a slight exaggeration.

In fact, the Dragons appear to be winning with such methodical ease at present, questions about rep football are all that coach Paul McGregor is fielding.

He’s made no secret of the chats he’s had with NSW coach Brad Fittler and the message is clear: Freddie’s wiping the slate clean and will be picking players on form.

Having started 6-0, the Dragons rightly have a host of players in contention. Tyson Frizell is – deservedly – a walk-up start, Jack de Belin's selection appears equally fait accompli, Cam McInnes is the form NSW No. 9 and Paul Vaughan is knocking on the door.

All make strong claims but, by far, the most interesting selection proposition is Tariq Sims.

If you’d walked into a pub five years ago and said he’d still be chasing an Origin debut at the age of 28, they’d have cut you off at the bar.

At North Queensland he was cutting swathes through rivals, with and without the footy, and a Blues jumper seemed a matter of when, not if.

As Sims would be the first to tell you, things can change quickly in rugby league. This is a guy who twice come back from career-threatening broken legs before the age of 25.

A bumpy ride at Newcastle and a team-first shift to middle at the Dragons has seen him slip from the top of the pecking order. The richness of NSW’s back-row stocks means one never stays top of that pile for long.

This season, however, there is no edge back-rower playing better football. He’s playing very much like a man on a mission and that aggressive mentality is driving a Dragons pack playing out of it’s skin.

It’s a mentality custom-made for Origin. If form is the chief consideration, he should be there come Origin I. One can only hope he’s given a fair shake at the selection table.

Fittler’s predecessor Laurie Daley was loyal to fault – evidently to the wrong players. Sticking with guys who’d allegedly “done the job before” was a common an infuriating refrain.

Persisting too long with an ageing squad brought a reactionary push for generational change and has recently seen selectors look almost exclusively to youth with a view to future series.

That's come to manifest itself in an ageist selection policy and one that rarely looks solely at the series at hand. Sims is only 28, but when was to the last time NSW debuted a 28-year-old back-rower?

It’s where talk of a rep selection ‘window’ comes from. The term suggests that a player has only a limited time to force their way into Origin before that window closes on them.

Kickoff had an interesting conversation with Sims in the preseason about whether he thought his may of closed.

“No I don’t, I honestly don’t,” he said.

“It’s still a huge burning desire for me. With the change of coach hopefully there’s a shake-up in the playing roster and Freddie might bring in some different players of age and experience.

“You look at a guy like Corey Parker, he got better with age. Obviously he was exceptionally durable but I believe, if you’re playing good enough football, you deserve to be there.”

Parker played three games for Queensland in series losses in 2004 and 2005. He had to wait six years for a recall which came in 2011 at age 29.

He finished his career with 19 Origins to his name and was the Wally Lewis Medalist in the Maroons 2015 series win at the age of 33. Lucky for the Maroons, they didn’t close the window on him.

Sims looked made for Origin when he burst on the scene six years ago. He’s still made for it now. Let’s just hope the selectors leave that window open.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5352190/kickoff-sims-still-made-for-origin/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
aitkene-celeb-1841333rc.jpg

DRAGONS

The real impact of State of Origin for the Dragons
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 19 Apr 2018, 06:58 PM

St George Illawarra's anticipated contingent of players in the NSW Blues team has the potential to affect the club beyond the State of Origin period, with representative bonuses set to make a dent in the Dragons' salary cap.

While some fear the inclusion of up to five players in the Blues squad could disrupt their campaign midway through the season, there may be longer-term implications if the likes of Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin, Cameron McInnes and Euan Aitken have representative clauses in their contracts.

Under NRL rules, Origin bonuses must be included in a player’s salary cap value but can be carried forward to the year after he earned selection if the club does not have enough room that season.

Either way, clubs required to pay representative bonuses are affected as few are yet to fill their 30-man roster, as they are required to do by June 30, while players are also coming off contract for next season.

Interchange forwards Leeson Ah Mau, Jeremy Latimore and Hame Sele are among the Dragons players unsigned beyond this year and given their role in the club’s unbeaten start to the season they are expected to attract interest from rival clubs.

vaughanp-1841331rc.jpg

St George Illawarra prop Paul Vaughan. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Ah Mau is in the sights of Newcastle and reportedly met with Knights officials earlier this month but the Samoan prop, who is looking forward to performing in front of his family when the Dragons meet the Warriors in Auckland on Friday night, is in no hurry to decide his future.

"We haven't really sat down and talked about it yet because there has been a few short turnarounds and that sort of thing," Ah Mau told NRL.com.

"Once we get a bit of a break we will definitely try to sort that out. I am fully enjoying my time here so we will see how it goes."

A feature of St George Illawarra’s early season form has been the impact of their bench players, led by Ah Mau who has averaged 121 metres from 11 runs in the opening six rounds and made two line-breaks, 19 tackles breaks, four offloads and scored a try.

"What’s been working for us is that everyone is just playing their role and that’s my job, just to come on and bring a bit of energy," Ah Mau said.

"We have got a team first mentality and everyone works hard for the team. We are putting in for each other and don’t want to let each other down, the whole 17. I am happy to do whatever job for the team.”

Ah Mau made his NRL debut in 2009 for the Warriors before moving to North Queensland and has been at the Dragons since 2012.

The 28-year-old said the signing of Ben Hunt and James Graham had given the Dragons improved self-belief.

"Ben and James have been great additions to our team, they definitely bring a lot of experience and they just give everyone confidence around them," he said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/19...te-of-origin-for-st-george-illawarra-dragons/

MilanDragon

Juniors
Interesting.. I didn’t know that the clubs had to cop the rep bonus on their salary cap. What a ridiculous rule. No benefit of developing players from very good NRL players to elite players while having them signed long term.

Interesting.. I didn’t know that the clubs had to cop the rep bonus on their salary cap. What a ridiculous rule. No benefit of developing players from very good NRL players to elite players while having them signed long term.

It's incentive based performance bonuses built into thier contract with the clubs, so yeah, it comes into salary cap calculations.......unless your a Storm, Broncos, Nth Qld or Roosters player, then you Proberbly just get a new car or something.

MilanDragon

Juniors
It's incentive based performance bonuses built into thier contract with the clubs, so yeah, it comes into salary cap calculations.......unless your a Storm, Broncos, Nth Qld or Roosters player, then you Proberbly just get a new car or something.

The way I read it is that the actual bonus they get for playing origin is calculated as parted of the cap.. not just as a performance bonus in the individua players contract.

Makes it even more amazing how some of those teams yiu mentiined stayed under the cap.. well the storm didn’t as we all know but the other 3.

The way I read it is that the actual bonus they get for playing origin is calculated as parted of the cap.. not just as a performance bonus in the individua players contract.

Makes it even more amazing how some of those teams yiu mentiined stayed under the cap.. well the storm didn’t as we all know but the other 3.

Yeah it's not the NRL money they get paid for playing Origin, it's the clubs money in the form of performance bonuses for making Origin or Test teams, it comes off next year salary cap.

And yeah, the other clubs have heard of a "salary cap" but just assume it's something player wear on thier heads.

mickeylane

Bench
What a rort - clubs paying SOO bonuses!! never knew that...so if 5 players get picked for 3 games thats 15 appearances @ $30K an appearance? thats $450K - it can't be right????

Frank Facer

First Grade
What a rort - clubs paying SOO bonuses!! never knew that...so if 5 players get picked for 3 games thats 15 appearances @ $30K an appearance? thats $450K - it can't be right????
No. It means that if players such as DeBelin play origin this year, they have a clause in their contract that they receive bonuses or contract upgrades for making origin. Those bonuses will be included in DeBelin's contract next year. So say if DeBelins contract is for 500K a season, but if he makes origin he has a clause in his contract that he gets 50K upgrade or bonus, then he will be on 550K next year and that will be included on our salary cap for next year.

Latest posts