What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Titans Round 23

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons' clash with Gold Coast Titans
Andrew Parkinson
9 Aug 2017, 5 a.m.
r0_0_1200_675_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Coming home: St George junior Matt Dufty will play for the Dragons at Kogarah against the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday afternoon. Picture: John Veage

Kogarah’s Jubilee Oval holds some of the fondest memories of Matt Dufty’s young career. Memories that helped forge his love of rugby league.

The Penshurst RSL junior returns to the ground where he won a pair of junior grand finals on Saturday as a first grader. But the stakes will be much higher when St George Illawarra host the Gold Coast at Kogarah. It is a game the Dragons can’t afford to lose.

St George Illawarra slipped out of the top eight for the first time this season on Sunday when Penrith overcame the Wests Tigers, an almost unthinkable scenario midway through the season when the Dragons led the competition. St George Illawarra must now fight to save their campaign against the struggling Titans, who were thrashed 54-0 by Brisbane on Saturday night.

But it will also be a special afternoon for Dufty, who still lives at Peakhurst where he grew up. The 21-year-old will make his fourth NRL appearance at the ground he dreamed of playing on.

“It’s one of the best places to play. I love playing [at Kogarah],” he told the Leader.

“I won under nines and 10s grand finals for Penshurst there. I played all my Harold Matthews (under-16s) and SG Ball (under-18s) there.

“Hopefully Mary picks me. That’d be a dream come true. I know a lot of people from local clubs and family will come and support me. It would mean the world to me to play at Kogarah.”

It has been a worrying couple of weeks for the Dragons since Dufty made his debut in a 30-point romp over Manly. Losses to struggling Newcastle and South Sydney have seen St George Illawarra slide out of the finals places and into a battle with Penrith and Canberra just to make it to September.

With Josh Dugan only playing 23 minutes of the loss to Souths before being forced off with an ankle injury, it’s even more likely St George Illawarra will turn to Dufty to spark their attack. With Dugan off to fierce local rivals Cronulla next season, Dufty has the chance to show Paul McGregor why he should get first crack at the No.1 jersey in 2018. But he’s not calling it an audition.

“It’s definitely my goal for next year, to play there,” he said.

“Ultimately it’ll be up to Mary and the coaching staff what they want to do but it’s definitely my goal to lock it down. I’ll have to get stuck into pre-season. No one has said anything like [it being an audition]. Mary just tells me to go out and enjoy myself and play with no pressure, go out play my own game and that’s really helped.

“I wasn’t sure how I’d adapt to it. I’ve definitely just gone out to there and tried to play my own style of footy and fit in with the boys which I think I have pretty well.

“It’s still pretty special running out there with the boys and putting on the red V in first grade. It’s definitely everything I thought it would be, playing in front of 15,000 people instead of a couple of hundred. It was a dream growing up and for it to finally happen there’s no words to describe what it means to me. It’s special.”

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4...or-crucial-dragons-clash-with-titans/?cs=3833

Coffs dragon

Bench
I'm already bracing for disappointment in a match we are expected to win! That spells danger to me with this team under McMediocre. IMO our season is long gone & finals are just something I'll watch on TV stress free and minus the RedV again!
I now know what the useless coach means when he uses the term...."working on our D"
(Disappointment)

Sooooooo, you can miss tackles that let in tries, kick the ball dead at the end of every set, kick it out on the full in general play, fail to kick it into touch from a penalty.....and STILL get selected the next week.

That what you call "accountability" right there.
Come on Guys...
McCrone makes Widdop feel more "comfortable" when he is his halves partner.
Skill set of a genuine half back - well they're just details.
READ
Mann, Field, Clune, Willis - anyone but McCrone!!!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I'm already bracing for disappointment in a match we are expected to win! That spells danger to me with this team under McMediocre. IMO our season is long gone & finals are just something I'll watch on TV stress free and minus the RedV again!
I now know what the useless coach means when he uses the term...."working on our D"
(Disappointment)

I'm very nervous. Henry is a smart coach, and you can bet he will have developed a strategy and a game plan to use against us. MacGregor will have no strategy other than "footy's a simple game" and "go out and play what's in front of us". Titans will be primed and ready after their fiasco last week. This is no gimme. Dragons can win, but we need to do more than rely on individual efforts.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
No facts but something tells me Hutch will start at half back this week.
Just wishful thinking jetski would not agree he's too negative.but it's a great idea well done sign that boy up as our next coach .they love untried beginners here .Doust would have an orgasm.

Latest posts