What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Titans Round 23

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Preview: Round 23
Thu 10th August, 10:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons v Gold Coast Titans
UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah
Saturday, 3pm

St George Illawarra's season is on the line when the Gold Coast Titans head to Kogarah's UOW Jubilee Oval on Saturday afternoon.

With the Penrith Panthers precariously placed two points ahead of the Dragons in the NRL Telstra Premiership top eight, the Red V cannot afford to drop any further competition points.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has called on young guns Hame Sele and Blake Lawrie to fill the void that remains in Russell Packer's absence. Josh Dugan (ankle) will also be given every opportunity to play.

The Titans will be boosted by the return of back-rower Kevin Proctor, who comes in at the expense of Agnatius Paasi.

Teams –

Dragons: 1. Matt Dufty, 2. Nene Macdonald, 3. Josh Dugan, 4. Tim Lafai, 5. Jason Nightingale, 6. Gareth Widdop (c), 7. Josh McCrone, 8. Leeson Ah Mau, 9. Cameron McInnes, 10. Paul Vaughan, 11. Tyson Frizell, 12. Joel Thompson, 13. Jack de Belin. Interchange: 14. Tariq Sims, 15. Hame Sele, 16. Blake Lawrie, 17. Kurt Mann, 18. Jacob Host, 19. Taane Milne, 20. Jake Marketo, 21. Luciano Leilua.

Titans: 1. Jarryd Hayne, 2. Anthony Don, 3. Dale Copley, 4. John Olive, 5. Will Zillman, 6. Kane Elgey, 7. Ashley Taylor, 8. Jarrod Wallace, 9. Nathan Peats, 10. Ryan James (c), 11. Kevin Proctor, 12. Joe Greenwood, 13. Max King. Interchange: 14. Tyrone Roberts, 15. Nathaniel Peteru, 16. Leivaha Pulu, 17. Morgan Boyle, 18. Paterika Vaivai, 19. Pat Politoni, 20. Phillip Sami, 21. Keegan Hipgrave.

Key Match-Up: Cameron McInnes v Nathan Peats – McInnes has an amazing opportunity to come up against the incumbent New South Wales Origin hooker this weekend. The NRL's leading tackler McInnes can put Peats on notice for future seasons to come with a big showing. Peats' season was impacted early due to injury but he has still managed to produce a strong season regardless and won't prove cannon fodder for the Red V.

The History: Played 18; Dragons 11, Titans 7. The Titans have won three of their past four meetings against the Dragons. Not only did the Gold Coast win by 10 points in Round 17, they also won the last time they were in Kogarah last year by a whopping 20 points.

Match Officials: Referee: Ashley Klein. Assistant Referee: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski. Sideline Officials: Nick Beashel and Nick Morel.

Televised: Fox League – Live coverage from 2:25pm

Radio: ABC and Triple M

Social: Ensure you are across the Dragons' social media platforms on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/08/10/nrl_preview_round_23.html

blacksafake

First Grade
Although we Should win I'm not overly confident. Coach under pressure, Hayne copping it left right & centre. They also have won 3 from the last 4 games at kogarah.For me we need to start fast & put the game beyond them early or else risk them worrying us out of it late in the game.
Having McGregor, Young & Hornby devising the game plan giveaway me no confidence whatsoever.

thebigredv

First Grade
I don't think you can can say we should win to be honest. Let's look at the truth. We don't know what we will get entirely from this team, but we do know there will probably be a time in the game where we should streak away with it and then invite the Titans back into it, either grinding out a close win or a sad loss. There will be lots of confused and disjointed plays, a crappy kicking game and some tired forwards about 20 mins in.

The last game against the Titans was almost as bad as last week. One of the worst performances on a night I was so expecting a big performance. Two horrible efforts verse last place team in the Knights and giving the game to the Bunnies when we should have being dying for it. It's anyone's game. Titans compete for 80 minutes and they win.

Just thought I'd jog everyone's memory as that late week hope kicks in for you all.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Here another take on Hutch. He is a big body develop him into a centre. Drop Dugan for the rest of the year. Give the kid a go.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan 50-50 for crunch Titans clash

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

10 Aug 2017, 6:25 p.m.
r0_0_1200_677_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

RACING THE CLOCK: Josh Dugan is battling to be fit for Saturday's crucial clash with Gold Coast. Picture: Sylvia Liber

DRAGONS centre Josh Dugan still has some hurdles to clear to make it onto the paddock for Saturday’s crunch clash with Gold Coast at UOW Jubilee Oval.

Dugan hobbled from the field in his side’s last-gasp loss to South Sydney last week with what was initially be a potentially season-ending syndesmosis injury. Post-match scans cleared him of serious damage, but the Test and Origin rep is still racing the clock to take his place in the centres against the Titans.

“Josh started running today [Thursday] and he went reasonably well there,” club head of performance Nathan Pickworth said.

“We’re progressing him through the stages of rehab and he’s still got a number of boxes left to tick but hopefully we might be able to get him back on the park this week.”

Dugan is one of a number of concerns for the Dragons, with Russell Packer [knee] and Euan Aitken also currently in the injury ward with Pickworth saying the pair are still a week or two away.

“Euan’s come along really well and he’s on track to return to play at some point in this season, hopefully the next two to three weeks,” Pickworth said.

“We’ve gone through the process of meeting with surgeons to plan his off-season surgery once the season’s over but hopefully, in the next couple of weeks, we can get him back on the park.

“[Packer’s] progressing through our stages of rehab. He’s still got a couple of tests to tick off and clear before he’s ready to return to play and hopefully he’ll do that in the next couple of weeks.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4848219/dugan-racing-injury-clock/?cs=3713

Gareth67

First Grade
Dragons will come out with all guns blazing ! Our forward pack shall be back to their best and blow the Titans off the park .
Particularly looking forward to watching Vaughan , Packer and company rip into the Gold Coast defence .
I have a feeling that this truly shall be a great day for the Dragons , one that will erase the memory of our last 2 games . Dragons by a cricket score .

hewi

Bench
Dragons will come out with all guns blazing ! Our forward pack shall be back to their best and blow the Titans off the park .
Particularly looking forward to watching Vaughan , Packer and company rip into the Gold Coast defence .
I have a feeling that this truly shall be a great day for the Dragons , one that will erase the memory of our last 2 games . Dragons by a cricket score .

I thought the same about the game against Newcastle and Canberra and Souths, and ......

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Gareth
I agree but I hope Packer doesn't rip into anyone near by.
He will be sitting next to me he still injured
And I dont what to have to change my pants.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL, NYC Team Changes: Round 23 v Titans
Fri 11th August, 03:00PM
A A

1502424492069.jpg;pv5045e1930975e90f

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has trimmed his squad to 19 for the Dragons' Round 23 clash against the Gold Coast Titans at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah.

Jake Marketo and Luciano Leilua are the unlucky duo to miss out on featuring for the Red V.

NRL Squad for Round 23 v Gold Coast Titans

1. Matt Dufty
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Josh Dugan
4. Tim Lafai
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop (c)
7. Josh McCrone
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Cameron McInnes
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Joel Thompson
13. Jack de Belin
Interchange:
14. Tariq Sims
15. Hame Sele
16. Blake Lawrie
17. Kurt Mann
18. Jacob Host
19. Taane Milne

NYC Squad for Round 23 v Gold Coast Titans

1. Zac Lomax
22. Dane Francis
3. Reuben Garrick
4. Matheson Johns
5. Jason Gillard
6. Tristan Sailor
7. Jackson Willis
8. Stuart Mason (c)
9. Hayden Lomax
10. Josh Dowel
11. Jackson Ford
12. Jayden Morgan
13. Joe Lovodua
Interchange:
14. TJ Uele
15. Bailey Dickinson
16. Brayden Gallagher
17. Trent Peoples
18. Tom Angel
20. Max Bailey
21. Dylan Morris

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/08/11/nrl_nyc_team_changes.html

Gareth67

First Grade
I thought the same about the game against Newcastle and Canberra and Souths, and ......

Chin up hewi ! We can't go that bad once again - can we ? I was the opposite about both of the other games that you mentioned , as i had an idea that we had a fight on our hands . But this game I really believe that the Dragons will be back on the winners list .

Gareth
I agree but I hope Packer doesn't rip into anyone near by.
He will be sitting next to me he still injured
And I dont what to have to change my pants.

Sammy , yet again you have me intrigued . You shall be sitting next to Packer ? Or is that figure of speech ?

Some of your posts indicate that you seem to know just what is going on at the club , so , if you do not mind me asking , what is your association with the team ? A trainer , Mary's brother or perhaps Doust's brother , or heavens above , Doust himself ?

And as far as you crapping your pants is concerned , from memory you said that you were 6' 2-3 " , so I believe that it would be the other way around .

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench

Gareth, Hope you're right mate.
I just don't see it tbh but I like your optimism, good on you.

Reading the same old qoutes this week from players and coach about 'disapointment' at the last two games. Just watched Mary's preview, 'it's a 17 man game' he said, FMD really, 17 players ???? McMediocre also said we need to win 3 from the last 4, FMD great attitude to share with the squad and fans - we can lose another game. He also said he's not going to use excuses and has a laugh about his breach notice like it's a f**king badge of honour.

Anyway, with Lafai sitting on 2nd for most errors in the NRL, McCrone the worst 7 in the NRL, Nighty the slowest Wing in the NRL, Dugan the most ..... never mind. I wonder what the stats are for the most bench minutes, I'm pretty sure Mann would have it in the bag.

I had a punt on Souffs last week, I couldn't get to the game so figured I could do my bit to help the Dragons win with a few $$ on souffs. Wish I put more on them but I didn't think Souffs could come close to beating our squad. Not betting this week.

I will watch it on tv and will be going 'off' as usual, missus has booked in to get her nails done or something. Hope the fans that go have a glorious Kogarah experience and we win.

Life's Good

Coach
Dugan 50-50 for crunch Titans clash

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

10 Aug 2017, 6:25 p.m.
r0_0_1200_677_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

RACING THE CLOCK: Josh Dugan is battling to be fit for Saturday's crucial clash with Gold Coast. Picture: Sylvia Liber

DRAGONS centre Josh Dugan still has some hurdles to clear to make it onto the paddock for Saturday’s crunch clash with Gold Coast at UOW Jubilee Oval.

Dugan hobbled from the field in his side’s last-gasp loss to South Sydney last week with what was initially be a potentially season-ending syndesmosis injury. Post-match scans cleared him of serious damage, but the Test and Origin rep is still racing the clock to take his place in the centres against the Titans.

“Josh started running today [Thursday] and he went reasonably well there,” club head of performance Nathan Pickworth said.

“We’re progressing him through the stages of rehab and he’s still got a number of boxes left to tick but hopefully we might be able to get him back on the park this week.”

Dugan is one of a number of concerns for the Dragons, with Russell Packer [knee] and Euan Aitken also currently in the injury ward with Pickworth saying the pair are still a week or two away.

“Euan’s come along really well and he’s on track to return to play at some point in this season, hopefully the next two to three weeks,” Pickworth said.

“We’ve gone through the process of meeting with surgeons to plan his off-season surgery once the season’s over but hopefully, in the next couple of weeks, we can get him back on the park.

“[Packer’s] progressing through our stages of rehab. He’s still got a couple of tests to tick off and clear before he’s ready to return to play and hopefully he’ll do that in the next couple of weeks.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4848219/dugan-racing-injury-clock/?cs=3713

Is anyone surprised by this???