What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Warriors round 4

mickeylane

Bench
P
Fantastic effort again from the forwards

Super to get the 2 competition points

Great to see Vaughan, Duges, Lafai and McCrone get across the stripe with tremendous determination

Team is scoring approx 25 points per game. Very happy with that.

Still plenty of room for improvement in terms of ball security, and kicking game.

Extremely happy with the enthusiasm shown in defending.

No one is complaining or upset Saints are winning Doc.

Its plain to see the Warriors are not the competition benchmark.

If we are to be competitive against the top teams we will need to tighten up the errors and improve the kicking game by 300%.

We all love our team but we are not delusional.

Crossing fingers we collect another 2 competition points next week.

Go the mighty Saintssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Penrith
Sharks
Are top 4 teams
Once we dispose of Roosters and Melb there's no one left yes? So everyone can stop complaining then?

GC Dragon

Juniors
Many bag Tim Lafai but tell you what he is twinkle toes off that left foot.
Lafai has been pretty good the last few games . His positional play and defence has been very good . The try today showed he may be getting some range back in that knee . If he regains that flexibility and speed he could be a good left centre going forward . Put a good fast left winger like Mann outside him and you never know .

getsmarty

Immortal
Heartbreak for Foran as Dragons sink Warriors

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

26 Mar 2017, 9 p.m.
r0_0_3000_2000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PICTURE: Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra have made it two wins on the trot with a 26-12 win over the Warriors but that wasn’t the major talking point after Kieran Foran’s long awaited NRL return proved over before it began at UOW Jubilee Oval on Sunday.

Foran’s presence in the warm-up was a welcome one for Warriors fans but it proved short-lived with the former Kiwi Test captain leaving the field with a hamstring injury prior to kickoff and not returning.

Early reports were of a hamstring tear, meaning he’ll likely have to wait a number of weeks before contemplating a return, a heartbreaking situation for the 26-year-old who’s endured a tumultuous time since last playing for Parramatta in round 12 last season.

It forced coach Stephen Kearney into a reshuffle with Tuimoala Lolohea shifting to the halves and Blake Ayshford coming in at right centre a day after playing in the Warriors NSW Cup victory over Illawarra on Saturday.

“You wouldn’t read about it, it’s really sad,” Kearney said.

“It’s pretty early to tell [how serious it is] at this stage. He’s still got pretty good strength in it but when he came in it just didn’t feel 100 per cent right. Obviously it’s been a long lay-off for him and the last thing you want to do is have him make it worse.

For the Dragons it was back to back victories for the first time since round 16 last season, and leaves them firmly entrenched in the top four after four rounds with a clash against the battling Wests Tigers to come this Sunday.

It came on the back of a masterful performance from five-eighth Gareth Widdop,who barely made it to the game in time after being t-boned in his car on the way to the ground, but managed to notch his 500th point for the club. It was part of a 3-1 start that has exceeded most expectations and coach Paul McGregor says it’s an exciting time for his side.

“It’s nice to be where we are, we’ve put in a lot of work and the guys have worked extremely hard and they’re creating a really nice environment to be around at the moment,’ McGregor said.

“It’s really important that when you’ve got energy and enthusiasm you’re doing things well that you celebrate that. The boys are really doing that at the moment.

“When you get that attitude and you get it right week to week, it’s just 80 minutes of footy and just you against the opposition.

“They’re enjoying what they’re doing and they’re getting a lot of confidence week to week. Footy’s strange, seven days is a long time as we’ve seen before so we’re just taking the next game as it comes and we’re going to play against a desperate team in the Wests Tigers.”

Widdop and Shaun Johnson traded penalty goals inside the first six minutes and the Dragons led 8-2 after Paul Vaughan crashed across from close range. Josh McCrone burrowed across just minutes later and the hosts had a handy buffer when Josh Dugan strolled through a yawning gap and stepped past Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to score under the posts and take a 20-2 lead after 22 minutes.

Isaac Luke ht back before the break and the hosts got within eight when Ken Maumalo scored out wide three minutes after the resumption but it was as close as they got with Tim Lafai stepping his way across and Widdop converting to give his side a 14-point cushion with 24 minutes to play.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...k-for-foran-as-dragons-sink-warriors/?cs=3713

Dragon66

Juniors
So the problem is that we're not winning by enough? Lol.

JDHD, no, the problem isn't about the score, or how much we win by. It is the way we win.

I'm as happy as the next fan that we have got off to such a good start. To me it is as much about the team's performance as the result.

You have to admit that the draw this year is as good as you could expect for a good start.

I'm no Nostrdamus but late last year when we were discussing McGregor's prospects of keeping his job after eight rounds I tipped that we would beat Penrith in the opener, that Parra, would beat us, with Radradra on fire, Round 3 we would rise to the occasion in the local derby and knock over the Sharks. All right so far.

After that I predicted we would lose the next five.

Pleased to say I was wrong today, but the Warriors were pathetic, but great to pickup the two points. With Vaughan and McInnes firing so well I am hopeful that we can pickup 2 out of the next four BUT if today's game plan is what we have to expect, plus the woeful kicking game that we witnessed again today then our defence had better be rock solid for the next four games.

Besides McCrone, I still think the attack of our centres leaves a lot to be desired, and we need a ball playing forward to come off the bench to add a bit of impact to our attack. I believe that Ahmau is a solid first grade player but when he comes on he does not lift the tempo of the game as a good bench player should. His defence is solid, he runs straight, but he rarely creates any second phase play. He is as good as he will get.
Simms is similar but is more likely to be able find his way to the try line, and Host is slowly learning the trade, and getting better.

Milne showed enough last year to have deserved to start, and I have a lot of sympathy for Mann not getting much game time but can understand the logic of keeping a fresh versatile replacement in case of injury.

Our defence is first class in the middle, but a bit suspect on the Aitken/McDonald side.
Having said that we are improving steadily and by Round 8 I'm hoping that win, lose or ..... we can enjoy our team's performance being played at a top four level, and then maybe McGregor will have restored our faith in his coaching ability.

Still a long way to go, but I am enjoying the ride so far.

The Doc

Juniors
f**k off you self righteous twat!

I'm yet to see one person disappointed that we are winning. There are comments saying that the Warriors were crap and that we can be better, please point out where people are actually disappointing that we are doing well? There ARE still deficiencies in our team, we CAN be better and people are entitled to their opinion. Your post, ironically, is the biggest whinge on this f**king thread. You wanna sit around singing kumbayah then go join one of the circle jerks on the Facebook page. THose on here wish to talk footy.

Again, to re-iterate. Happy we won. Long season. We still have room to improve.
Wow.... calling me a f#cking twat?
How bout u read through the posts dipshit?
How many morons saying we will get walloped against the better teams!!!
We got cocky and got pumped by parra... any tom dick or harry could see we didnt turn up at all that night!!!
We dropped the ball from the kick off... were down 6 nil in the first minute... and dropped the ball the whole game.
ONE GAME OUT OF THREE!!!
Yet super coaches on here, rather then be happy we are winning games, are still sooking that the better teams will wallop us.
News flash sherlock... we are 3rd, WE ARE ONE OF THE BETTER TEAMS!!!!
Sook when we get walloped again....
You bunch of negative f#ckers!!!
Talking about player problems is one thing... but to still sook like a bunch of little bitches that we will get walloped when we are...
1. Coming third
2. 3 wins from 4
3. The best attacking team in the comp
4. 4th best defensive team
Then thats not talking footy you clown.
You guys make doggies supporters look like angels.
Its no wonder the club bans and blocks most of you guys...
Most on here talk footy... logically.
Can we improve the team... f#cking oath.
Should some players be dropped? Most say yes, but the teams winning.
How bout rather then sooking that we "may" get walloped by so called better teams... how bout we celebrate the teams efforts and enjoy these victories we've been deprived of for 5 years?
Maybe you should learn the kum by f#cking yeh and learn to smile and enjoy the fact your team is performing?
Sitting around sooking through wins cause we will lose a game in a long season makes you a sad negative w@nker!!!

dino2170

Juniors
still i think a roosters or melbourne outfit will cream us. they will have worked out to play on our flanks and that where will be found out that we dont have speed. even nene is proving to be a dud as his positional play is woeful

BennyV

Referee
Wow.... calling me a f#cking twat?
How bout u read through the posts dipshit?
How many morons saying we will get walloped against the better teams!!!
We got cocky and got pumped by parra... any tom dick or harry could see we didnt turn up at all that night!!!
We dropped the ball from the kick off... were down 6 nil in the first minute... and dropped the ball the whole game.
ONE GAME OUT OF THREE!!!
Yet super coaches on here, rather then be happy we are winning games, are still sooking that the better teams will wallop us.
News flash sherlock... we are 3rd, WE ARE ONE OF THE BETTER TEAMS!!!!
Sook when we get walloped again....
You bunch of negative f#ckers!!!
Talking about player problems is one thing... but to still sook like a bunch of little bitches that we will get walloped when we are...
1. Coming third
2. 3 wins from 4
3. The best attacking team in the comp
4. 4th best defensive team
Then thats not talking footy you clown.
You guys make doggies supporters look like angels.
Its no wonder the club bans and blocks most of you guys...
Most on here talk footy... logically.
Can we improve the team... f#cking oath.
Should some players be dropped? Most say yes, but the teams winning.
How bout rather then sooking that we "may" get walloped by so called better teams... how bout we celebrate the teams efforts and enjoy these victories we've been deprived of for 5 years?
Maybe you should learn the kum by f#cking yeh and learn to smile and enjoy the fact your team is performing?
Sitting around sooking through wins cause we will lose a game in a long season makes you a sad negative w@nker!!!
Of course I read the posts - those that weren't obvious trolls (seriously, people are still trying to outdo loveoursaints?) were rightfully disappointed in the fact that after a brilliant opening 20 mins, we didn't properly close it out and not only were Warriors in it up to the last 10 minutes but they found our cracks several times, with forward passes and dropped balls saving us several tries. If you can't see that, your you are very, very one eyed...which is fine, that's your thing, but don't have a meltdown and tell those of us who want our team to be the best and STAY the best that we aren't fans! THATS what makes you a self righteous twat!

As I recently discussed with Crush, some of us are happy to see us win the odd game. Cool, but many of us are looking big picture and want our team to STAY at the top. Right now, we are showing many weaknesses and just like in 2015, it's only a matter of time before they get exploited.

I made the decision last night that Mary's extension is inevitable and I'll stop caring about it. That doesn't mean I'm not wanting our team to be the best and THAT doesn't mean I'm not happy with winning games!

Lol, the club bans people for being critical of THE CLUB, not the players. They'd prefer their head in the sand, seemingly like yourself!

It's March! Yes, we can be happy where we are sitting but as you said, it's a long season, the team has obvious improvement and people have every right to point them out and be concerned without idiots like you questioning their support.

ALSGI

Bench
Great win by the boys.
3rd place on the table after 4 rounds, and who would have thought we'd be 1st in attack (points scored) !!!! ????

Vaughan and the rest of the forwards were awesome. Duges continues to be our best back. McInnes is a great improvement.

Refeering continues to be f**ked up even though we got a few our way. The dangerous tackle call was ridiculous and one of the best tackles I've seen in a while. The try given to Luke wasn't a try.
The bunker couldn't overule the ref but didn't call it a try either - says it all.

Roosters v Manly and Storm v Panthers next week - if we beat Tigers we could be in 1st position after 5 rounds !!

Now that would be something for us long suffering fans but I imagine the players and staff would be enjoying this too.

Well deserved by all involved let's enjoy it while we can.

Plenty to talk about re selections, interchange, sackings, contracts on other threads during the week but well done to the Dragons.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I tend to agree with The Doc. Enjoy and celebrate the win and the good start to the season. Yes, point to where improvement is needed but don't gnash your teeth weeks before we play the Cowboys, Roosters and the Storm.

It's all about having a balanced viewpoint. For example some of those posters knocking Widdup seem not to acknowledge the quality of his defence. A number of times yesterday when tackles had to be made it was Widdup making them. He also does a lot of cleaning up of kicks.

The one skill I had as a schoolboy footballer was my ability to kick so every one of McCrone's failed kicks offends me. But over the 4 games he has been at least adequate in the 7, he makes many tackles and that was a determined try he scored yesterday.

I was not happy with the Round 1 selections. One of those I would not have selected is Lafai but over 4 rounds he has shown he deserves his spot. Mary's use of Mann is a big disappointment, especially as the Aitken/ McDonald combo continues to leak tries. I remember the Gasnier/Best pairing was regularly targetted a decade or so ago. Aitken is such a strong contributor yet this defensive weakness needs urgent attention.

I left last night's game very happy knowing that contrary to expectations we do have a team this year. On reflection I could think that all 4 tries came from individual effort rather than sweeping plays but these were tries that would not have been scored last year. Yes there are issues to work on but hopefully it will a brighter winter than anticipated.

Dragon66

Juniors
Of course I read the posts - those that weren't obvious trolls (seriously, people are still trying to outdo loveoursaints?) were rightfully disappointed in the fact that after a brilliant opening 20 mins, we didn't properly close it out and not only were Warriors in it up to the last 10 minutes but they found our cracks several times, with forward passes and dropped balls saving us several tries. If you can't see that, your you are very, very one eyed...which is fine, that's your thing, but don't have a meltdown and tell those of us who want our team to be the best and STAY the best that we aren't fans! THATS what makes you a self righteous twat!

As I recently discussed with Crush, some of us are happy to see us win the odd game. Cool, but many of us are looking big picture and want our team to STAY at the top. Right now, we are showing many weaknesses and just like in 2015, it's only a matter of time before they get exploited.

I made the decision last night that Mary's extension is inevitable and I'll stop caring about it. That doesn't mean I'm not wanting our team to be the best and THAT doesn't mean I'm not happy with winning games!

Lol, the club bans people for being critical of THE CLUB, not the players. They'd prefer their head in the sand, seemingly like yourself!

It's March! Yes, we can be happy where we are sitting but as you said, it's a long season, the team has obvious improvement and people have every right to point them out and be concerned without idiots like you questioning their support.

Benny, I'd like to think the Doc is not pointing the bone at those like us that are more interested in analysing the game, and not engaging in personal attacks on players who some posters seem to have a personal dislike of.

I always enjoy your rational analysis of the games, and individual players, and performance of senior club management.

I agree with you that we are heading in the right direction, but to suggest all is rosey with the team performance is to wear rose coloured glasses.

Enjoying the season and the debate so far, so let's all try to keep personal attacks out of the conversation - and roll on next week.

The Doc

Juniors
BennyV... snap out of it.
Look back at some of your posts, iv actually liked some of your posts.
I never mentioned you in my first post in this thread.
You came out and told me to f@ck off and called me a twat.
You say you read the posts, if you really read through all the posts and cant see why some fans are called w@nkers then your just a stupid f@ck!!!
You say its only a matter of time before our weaknesses get exploited? Thats a fair point, but why make that a topic to be sad and sh!t when we just won a game?
Every player interview after the game said there was areas that we need improvement.
Not many expected us to start the season like we have.
Only us so called delusional fans with our heads in the sand.
Yet guess what, 4 rounds in and we are the best attacking team in the comp.
Yes, maybe it will all go to shit, but it also may stay this way.
To sook now that eventually we will get exploited, well, thats just stupid.
Sook when and IF it happens.
Im the first to admit i have issues with team selection.
But so far its working. If McCrone has a schocker every week but we are winning, then F@ck sooking, my team is winning.
Thats what, as a true fan, i want to see, my team winning.
For you to attack me when i didnt mention you shows what category of fan you fall into.
Go have conversations with the wrist slitters now.

The Doc

Juniors
P

Penrith
Sharks
Are top 4 teams
Once we dispose of Roosters and Melb there's no one left yes? So everyone can stop complaining then?
It doesnt matter who we beat. We have all these weaknesses that will apparently get exploited at some time so dont be happy about us winning games now.
You are going against forum rules and expectations.
As for sharks and panthers... we didnt beat them... they beat themselves apparently.
Our defence and motivation had nothing to do with anything.
Hahaha im with you all the way mickey... we forced them teams into errors... we put 40+ on penrith...
We are the best attacking team after 4 rounds... im walking around this week with a smile the size of the grand canyon :)
Im a lebo that lives in punchbowl... surrounded by dirty dogs fans...
Im sure you can picture my cocky strut through the streets in my Red V jersey lol