What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons vs Hull

FlameThrower

Bench
I was at the game and had scored some Members Seats so had a great view . My observations-
- Hull spread the ball quickly and had us under some pressure
- We used a more compressed line
- Dufty is quick in open space
- We lacked some discipline and gave away too many penalties
- Trial game with chop and change so quite a few errors as a result
- We can only score out wide so pressure on Widdop to convert from sideline
- Our middle defense was poor and that has to be addressed
- Nene showing early signs of a much better season ahead
-Kurt Mann solid, Sins average, Aitken not enough shown. I was expecting a more dominant game from Hunt.
- 3 disallowed tries - I see communication and finishing off as the root cause to convert them to tries ( eg Nighty and his limp hand ) those are the tries that can break a game open.
- Tim Lafai - has to stop those high risk flick passes - it kills momentum and better to just get tackled with still 2 tackles left
- The Hull fans showed the NRL fans how it’s done, singing and chants - sounded fantastic great atmosphere
- I’m not a fan of 1950’s style singing “when the saints go marching in’ surely we can do better than that.
Go the Dragons..

RedVDragon

Juniors
Settle down everyone it’s out first real hit out. Good signs I would have been concerned if we came out and showed a better performance.

giboz71

First Grade
Yeah, Dufty’s first run was great, got outside his man and through a hole. Needs to realise that won’t happen every time though. Will come with experience, his acceleration is sot of deceptive and he’ll grow as a player.

And I also don’t get the criticism of Host, I reckon it’s a case of some people hitching their wagon to the Leilua train and wanting to talk down the competition. In reality, he played wel and put his hand up for Thommo’s spot. His defense was very good, save for his contribution to the Watts try (which is more on Sele, who didn’t move up with the defensive line). And as mention, he was great with ball in hand, hitting the line hard and making 5-10m post contact every time. The way he angled his run to isolate edge defenders is exactly what is needed from edge backrowers.

I fully agree that Host should be our starting edge back rower and Sims should be bench prop but still think he’s miles behind what Thommo provided for us.

He really needs to kick on for this year.

Crush

Coach
Yeah, Dufty’s first run was great, got outside his man and through a hole. Needs to realise that won’t happen every time though. Will come with experience, his acceleration is sot of deceptive and he’ll grow as a player.

And I also don’t get the criticism of Host, I reckon it’s a case of some people hitching their wagon to the Leilua train and wanting to talk down the competition. In reality, he played wel and put his hand up for Thommo’s spot. His defense was very good, save for his contribution to the Watts try (which is more on Sele, who didn’t move up with the defensive line). And as mention, he was great with ball in hand, hitting the line hard and making 5-10m post contact every time. The way he angled his run to isolate edge defenders is exactly what is needed from edge backrowers.
Dufty was in everything. Whenever he touched the ball he looked dangerous. Also he got out of our end well. He took that ball in his own in goal and ran it back to the halfway mark beating a number of players. And don't forget that one on one strip he pulled off which almost resulted in a try to Dragons.
Nightingales try in the corner was another example of Duftys skills putting the ball out in front of Mann and creating something which old mate Dugan wasn't capable of.
Host was alright. Simms was clearly fatigued, he looked out of shape and slow. Leilua looked average at best. Allgood looked horrible. Vaughan had a good game I thought.

Old Timer

Coach
On that performance, I'd put Kerr ahead of Lawrie, Allgood and Latimore.

I'd put Leilua ahead of Host and Sele.

I'd go for Mann ahead of Aitken with Aitken, Lomax, Field and Garrick to fight for a first grade spot from reserve grade.
On what basis do you make your statement re Leilua?
He was anything but outstanding last night and clearly showed that despite losing lots of kgs he is anything but hard or match fit as he was blowing like a bull calf mid way through the 1st half and when he had his 2nd stint he couldn't keep up.
The pace that Hull played at by throwing the ball around had him and Sims struggling big time and it will only get quicker from here on in.
Leilua is an impact player and that's it for him for now and Sims is no edge player let alone an 80 minute player as professed by some.

ALSGI

Bench
First hit out for 2018 and clearly used as a trial game, I’m a happy fan so far.
For me the new guys Hunt and Graham looked good. Hunt in his first game for us showed class and skill and I’m excited to see him play for us for the next 5yrs.
I’m an Aitken fan but am convinced Mann should replace him.
Field looks better than last year and will be a good back up in a number of positions as well as a good 14 if used correctly.
Lomax looks a natural and is FG ready.
Garrick, not yet.
Luciano will be Thommos replacement imo.
Nene showed he is better than we’ve seen from him and should stay on the left wing for now.
Nighty showed enough for the sentimentalists to beat their chest (and kept Dufty from being pushed over early on) but I’d like to see Lomax start his FG career on the right Wing.
Lafai is still heart attack material.
Looking forward to seeing the difference Friz and JDB make.

All in all, I’m a lot happier than I was at the end of round 26 last year. Hope the CS is going to be used as a trial next week.

Top 6 this year.

Old Timer

Coach
Dufty was in everything. Whenever he touched the ball he looked dangerous. Also he got out of our end well. He took that ball in his own in goal and ran it back to the halfway mark beating a number of players. And don't forget that one on one strip he pulled off which almost resulted in a try to Dragons.
Nightingales try in the corner was another example of Duftys skills putting the ball out in front of Mann and creating something which old mate Dugan wasn't capable of.
Host was alright. Simms was clearly fatigued, he looked out of shape and slow. Leilua looked average at best. Allgood looked horrible. Vaughan had a good game I thought.
Sims looked far too bulked up and reminded me of what happened with Dugan when he lost his natural pace and lateral movement because he became for too muscly.
Hope it doesn't happen to Dufty because he also looks a lot bulkier but appears to have retained his pace.
Interesting Field for the few minutes he was on looked incredibly zippy and agile (even though he is noticeably bigger) compared to almost everyone except Mann (very good on his feet) but in fairness it was late and the Hull boys were almost completely spent by then.

BennyV

Referee
I fully agree that Host should be our starting edge back rower and Sims should be bench prop but still think he’s miles behind what Thommo provided for us.

He really needs to kick on for this year.
He’s definitely a level below Thommo but he’s been heavily f**ked around, sitting on the bench for full games and played in the front row. I don’t think it will take long at all for him to be a very good first player, there’s incredible instinct and talent there.

possm

Coach
100% agree re Sims.
Host should play LHS not right but we seem to be a club that continually plays players on their wrong side.
Our young forwards all seem to be a bit suspect in defence as it looks like they don't know how to position themselves properly or they don't dominate one on one but not overly surprised considering our coaching staff have f**ked up the backs in defence as well.
Dean Young is our defence coach and forwards coach.
Hornby is our attack coach and backline coach.
Mary in charge of selections and bench rotation.

BennyV

Referee
Hull had some impressive players. Watts was an animal. Shaul looked very dangerous and Connor was having a great game until injury. Kelly has gone up a level from his GC days and would be welcomed by plenty of NRL clubs.

I like the ESL structure. Seems a lot more traditional with the half/five eight roles.

Drakon

Juniors
Are you just selecting all the handsome men?
Do they appeal to you?

Seriously, Lomax just has the look of a player that is comfortable in his first grade shoes as do/did the others I mentioned. Lomax will make it. Host will make it. Robson is another that looks like he will make it. They just have that certain something. An understated confidence in their own abilities.

possm

Coach
Carlton, Dufty is a little bloke, he is going to get man-handled. But he is exciting and he hits the ball at speed.
Who would you play at fullback if not Dufty? Mann? Field? Those guys are also pretty slight and won't defend like dugan did on the line.
I'm tipping Lomax to be our long term fullback. Don't know where Dufty and field will fit in long term.

Old Timer

Coach
Hull had some impressive players. Watts was an animal. Shaul looked very dangerous and Connor was having a great game until injury. Kelly has gone up a level from his GC days and would be welcomed by plenty of NRL clubs.

I like the ESL structure. Seems a lot more traditional with the half/five eight roles.
The ESL caters for creativity and skill rather than just relying on the dogged defence and wrestling that typifies the NRL.
When I first went to watch test matches against the Poms in the 60's they were just so skilful compared to us.
The halves especially Murphy, Hardisty, Millward, Bishop were light years in front of us and the ball playing skills of their forwards were only matched when Beetson finally arrived on the scene.
The ESL is good to watch but alas not so many of them would make a great fist of it in the NRL because we have f**ked the game completely by allowing it to descend into a wrestleathon.
Imagine how electric the Storm wingers and Rapanna would be in ESL and the crowds would be forever on their feet.
I think our game is all the poorer for what we have allowed to happen.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
When Luciano first played a couple of years ago he looked good but tried to offload every tackle which led to errors. Last night he looked more settled and not to push the pass when he did not need to at all. He will have a good year as it looks like he has matured.

Latest posts