What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dramas?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Looks like a revolt from the presidents of the Elite clubs along with Gausch against the current administration. They have had enough.

Oh right. I misread it a bit then. If limoux, carca and Catalans are not happy with them, that's a pretty significant group in the context of French RL.

langpark

First Grade
What is their main gripe in all this? I wonder if this bloc of teams might grow as time passes.

langpark

First Grade
Pro league anyone?

:? What??

Most people, upon hearing about a rift in Rugby League would think along the lines of a possible split. I'm curious as to how you got the idea that a Pro League could come as a result of this dispute.

So it's the ffrxiii and toulouse v the rest of the elite clubs. Doesnt sound like a good outcome is likely. If the elite clubs are pushing for some kind of pro league with a tv deal i think theyre pushing shit up hill. A fully pro league would need at least eight clubs, which means catalans and toulouse would have to part of it, and theyd need to find several rich backers to get other clubs up to scratch. It all seems too much to hope for.

Sinman

Juniors
What if any involvement does the RLIF and RLEF have within this?? The RLIF has already talked about backing a G20 nation after the next world cup.. Are they able to help??

yakstorm

First Grade
Can they pull Toulouse out though? Toulouse are no arguably playing under the rules set by the RFL. Whilst the FFRXIII can set rules and restrictions back at home such as removing the Broncos or threatening TO's juniors, unless the FFRXIII is somehow funding the TO involvement in the competition they might find that they can't stop them.

yakstorm

First Grade
Is there enough money in French RL to create a Pro-League? Outside of Catalans and Toulouse, could any other existing clubs afford to take on a full time squad?

I know there are always rumours of areas like Lens and so on maybe being interested in creating teams if there was a Pro-League, but how true are those rumours? And again even if there are does it get us to 8 teams? (Which would be the minimum you'd want for a new Pro-League)

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
at present there is no money. but something is being worked on, it's just no one knows anything about it and nothing will be said about it probably until election time. I have major doubts it will lead to anything though.

It would require some serious investment in a few clubs. I think the plan would be to get a tv deal to pay fulltime wages but even of they managed a modest deal it would be hard to get those other six up to scratch. Presumably Aude and Avignon would be among them. Villeneuve applied for SL as Aquitaine back when Catalans was promoted with a view to including Bordeaux and surrounds but that was well before Villeneuve went broke. Lyon, and Montpellier are bigger cities that have clubs and might be targets. And a northern club in or nearer to Paris might be preferred, especially if Lens or some other opportunity came up. The other more out there possibility would be maybe an Italian or Spanish club but that would be unlikely. And an even more novel approach would be to poach a British club or two. A London or even a Newcastle or another aspiring SL club that is unlikely to actually get a gig could be a surprise coup. If French clubs can be drafted into a UK comp, why not the other way around?

Lens would be a good place, also definitely a team in Paris (Bring back PSG)...
I reckon 7 teams from France and maybe 1 in Italy, Spain (Barcelona), Wales (Crusaders) or Serbia.

All in all 8 clubs

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
When are elections meant to be? There is no doubt things need to be shaken up a bit in France, so I'm keen to hear what the alternatives are offering.