What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop kick try

Raiderdave

First Grade
every one on the planet knows what happened,

RE the rules.

the only way we could fix the rule is to make it state-
player must have control ie cant be from a knock on,

so you can grubber a drop kick all day long, but if you knock on then kick make that illegal

similar but different
you can't determine 100% if a player has control or not
you'd be guessing
hence the rule being what it is , theres about 2 incidents like this every 8 years
we need to stop being a reactionary sport & accept that perfection is not attainable & stop f**king around with things that don't need to be f**ked around with

siv

First Grade
You either say a drop kick must occur when attempting a field goal

Or

Allow every drop then kick situation as play on

There cant be a bunker rule and a general play rule

Mikehnz

Juniors
How can you not hate NRL referees..
I would have lost my f**king shit @ the referees if I were Darius.. or any Bronco player.

Iafeta

Referee
doesn't even have to be an attempt at goal

they basically said a dropkick is a valid kick anywhere on the field

if that's the ruling then fair enough let's see it applied consistently

but it won't

My problem with this is lack of common sense. The reason he drop kicked it is because his drop of the ball was so poor he made an error doing what he wanted to do. We rewarded an error.

It’s the same as passing the ball into a blokes head, it goes forward yet they recover possession often with some type of gain from it. Both are dumb errors, that should not be rewarded.

I’m sure when they wrote the rules they didn’t intend for a drop kick to be interpreted like that

Iafeta

Referee
As bad as the call was the thing I find most disturbing was Ashley Klein explaining it 100% wrong

Will we see players wildly swinging with their feet now as a result of this horrible decision? The NRL needs to clear it up so it doesn't happen again

Ashley Klown loves going out of his way to make up nonsense. He ruled once in a Kiwis test that even though Australia knocked on in the process of taking a bomb, there was after this incidental contact in mid air, because that is of higher precedence that is now the ruling forget the knock on, penalty Australia.

This is the douche sack who robbed West’s Tigers blind a few weeks back.

He is without a doubt the biggest merkin in the referees ranks. Hes got a massive ego and his whistle soothes it.

jim_57

Staff member
One from left field here.. but could the rule be changed that a "drop kick" of any variety in general play is ruled a knock on unless it goes between the uprights and over the crossbar?

It would probably take long range field goal attempts out of the game as well as arsey missed field goal tries.

I'm not sure it's worth changing a rule that drastically for a weird grey area "try" ruling every 10 years.

Howard_Moon

Juniors
It's a non issue cause it happened to the Broncos. Just wait until Penrith or the Tigers cop it. You'll need to drop down to Bunnings to get some quality pliers to remove Paul Kent and Phil Gould from the roof.
haha please.. the only time you will see the Donkeys not receive the rub of the green is when versing the other protected species that is the Storm.

Canard

Immortal
My problem with this is lack of common sense. The reason he drop kicked it is because his drop of the ball was so poor he made an error doing what he wanted to do. We rewarded an error.

It’s the same as passing the ball into a blokes head, it goes forward yet they recover possession often with some type of gain from it. Both are dumb errors, that should not be rewarded.

I’m sure when they wrote the rules they didn’t intend for a drop kick to be interpreted like that

We can't keep saying "Just enforce the rules" in the same breath as "Just apply common sense".

Bloke

Juniors
Guess that means Dowling’s try off the crossbar in Game 2 1984 is a no try as well.. Slater thought it wasn’t a try, the rules say otherwise apparently.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
you can't determine 100% if a player has control or not
you'd be guessing
hence the rule being what it is , theres about 2 incidents like this every 8 years
we need to stop being a reactionary sport & accept that perfection is not attainable & stop f**king around with things that don't need to be f**ked around with

Nah. It's a BS rule. Now the floodgates are open, any time someone drops it they're free to toe ahead and call precedent. And surely as that rule extends to the first bounce of the ball (ie before it bounces twice) anyone can drop it and as long as they get their foot to it before the second bounce, play on.

There has to be interpretation in some laws, they can't all be black and white. So use common f**king sense in who is dropping for goal and who isn't. Same as the playing at the ball or not playing at the ball rule. It requires intepretation and referees to have a modicum of sensibility. That's the trouble with our refs though, unfortunately.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Nah. It's a BS rule. Now the floodgates are open, any time someone drops it they're free to toe ahead and call precedent. And surely as that rule extends to the first bounce of the ball (ie before it bounces twice) anyone can drop it and as long as they get their foot to it before the second bounce, play on.

There has to be interpretation in some laws, they can't all be black and white. So use common f**king sense in who is dropping for goal and who isn't. Same as the playing at the ball or not playing at the ball rule. It requires intepretation and referees to have a modicum of sensibility. That's the trouble with our refs though, unfortunately.

no there doesn't need to be interpretation
if you drop the ball & get a foot to it before it bounces twice .... its a drop kick

has been the rule for 123 years
now because some moaning broncos fans think it cost them last night

we change the rule ?

hahahahaha
that is whats wrong with our game ..... right there !!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
no there doesn't need to be interpretation
if you drop the ball & get a foot to it before it bounces twice .... its a drop kick

has been the rule for 123 years
now because some moaning broncos fans think it cost them last night

we change the rule ?

hahahahaha
that is whats wrong with our game ..... right there !!

Because every spastic who drops the ball from now on, is free to now kick it and keep going. Yeah, that'll be riveting viewing. I think they call it AFL.

And no, it hasn't been the rule for 123 years, really. Someone else said JWH dropped a ball recently and it was pulled up. But now it'll have to be.

Drop kicks are for 1 point, not for tit-handed players remedying a mistake. By your rule, I can put up a bomb on the 10m line, jump over a fullback, knock it on, and as long as I get to the ball before the 2nd bounce I can kick it up to myself or simply tap it and score. YEAH THAT'LL LOOK AWESOME

T-Boon

Coach
Apparently if you "knock on" but kick it before it hits the ground that IS a knock on. But this IS NOT a knock on. That seems completely around the wrong way to me.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Because every spastic who drops the ball from now on, is free to now kick it and keep going. Yeah, that'll be riveting viewing. I think they call it AFL.

And no, it hasn't been the rule for 123 years, really. Someone else said JWH dropped a ball recently and it was pulled up. But now it'll have to be.

Drop kicks are for 1 point, not for tit-handed players remedying a mistake. By your rule, I can put up a bomb on the 10m line, jump over a fullback, knock it on, and as long as I get to the ball before the 2nd bounce I can kick it up to myself or simply tap it and score. YEAH THAT'LL LOOK AWESOME

yeah
that's right
the way its ALWAYS been , for 123 years , anyone who says anything different has NFI
& if JWH got pulled up
they got it wrong

by MY rule ?
hahahaha
you idiot
I didn't write the rule book , I just know more about it then you

Latest posts