What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty is Shit

Frank Facer

First Grade
He was shut down nearly every time he got the ball, including 2 sideways efforts that lost the team 20m+ because the Warriors pushed up on him and he kept trying to run in circles. He got exposed for Luke’s try, and stood up hard for Lino’s try (in the same way that we mocked Moylan for).

Basically, he was well read. The Warriors has seen what his tendencies are and allowed for them, and he couldn’t adapt. He is young, he will learn. But it showed many of the gaps that some of the more cautious of us could see all along.

I’m confident he’ll fill those gaps in time.
That doesn't warrant saying that he had a horror game. I still think you are exaggerating, when you say he had a horror game.

Saintsified

Bench
What small negative Duffy has with his defence his other attributes are far more positive and worthy of praise! such as running, line breaks, try assist, passing, The Dragons will work with his defence.
I agree, whenever someone says to me a player is too small, etc I think of Geoff Toovey and imagine what was said about him at the start of his career, same goes for Langer.. The end.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I agree, whenever someone says to me a player is too small, etc I think of Geoff Toovey and imagine what was said about him at the start of his career, same goes for Langer.. The end.
Mate the great fullback Les Johns who played for Canterbury from 63 to 71 (2 years as captain) was 170 cm and 70kgs..he was known for his attacking ability and his defence..he also played 14 games for NSW and 14 tests for Australia including 63 64 Kangaroo Tour and 67/68......for mine what Dufty brings to our attack far outways his size in defence....give him time and he will learn how to manage his game better in defence....if you look at Darius Boyd whos a lot bigger when he takes a bomb etc close to his try line and hes under pressure from the opposition he almost immediately hits the turf....they used to police it as an involuntary tackle but everone gets away with it these days

Gareth67

First Grade
Mate the great fullback Les Johns who played for Canterbury from 63 to 71 (2 years as captain) was 170 cm and 70kgs..he was known for his attacking ability and his defence..he also played 14 games for NSW and 14 tests for Australia including 63 64 Kangaroo Tour and 67/68......for mine what Dufty brings to our attack far outways his size in defence....give him time and he will learn how to manage his game better in defence....if you look at Darius Boyd whos a lot bigger when he takes a bomb etc close to his try line and hes under pressure from the opposition he almost immediately hits the turf....they used to police it as an involuntary tackle but everone gets away with it these days

Yes indeed Les Johns was a great player Blood Shot Eyes , could really break the defensive line with pure speed and those great one on one tackles that he made stopping opposition players dead in their tracks . Should Duffy become half as good as Les Johns , then I would be most pleased .

gonz

Juniors
He was MIA Friday not sure why as his been so involved last few weeks perhaps it was fear

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Yes indeed Les Johns was a great player Blood Shot Eyes , could really break the defensive line with pure speed and those great one on one tackles that he made stopping opposition players dead in their tracks . Should Duffy become half as good as Les Johns , then I would be most pleased .
I agree mate.......pound for pound one of the best

SaintPauli

Juniors
Yeah, also throw in Luke Patten as the dragons thought he was to skinny for regular first grade. Hence my suspicion of him having a chip on his shoulder with his unelighting praise about his past at dragons at also his dubious bunker rulings when we play!

Frank Facer

First Grade
I would be happy if the title of this thread was changed to

Dufty is The Shit.

or

Dufty is Shit Hot

I may have to start a new thread, if they don't change it.

Which one if better or the above 2?

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
And JT.
Steve Morris, Mark Shulman, the mercurial Preston Campbell, and probably another 100 players who all became very good players.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
Pound for pound, awesome.
Fearless front on defender that probably shortened his career in the end.

Some info on mighty, that was his nick name.

SOURCE:http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au.

Ramsgate United junior, he debuted for St. George Dragons in 1971.

Mark Shulman played Halfback for the St. George Dragons in the New South Wales Rugby League in 1970-78

In 1978, he was the team's captain.

Shulman won a premiership with the St. George Dragons, playing halfback in the 1977 Grand Final. ******

Described as a "shade over five feet tall and weighing 60 kgs

Shulman was the smallest player in first grade when he debuted in 1971.

He came into the side replacing Billy Smith, who had been sidelined with a broken arm.[8]

A back and kidney injury put an end to his career at the end of the 1978 season.

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
Do you mean fear in attack, defence or both?

Mark Shulman played Halfback for the St. George Dragons in the New South Wales Rugby League in 1970-78

Shulman won a premiership with the St. George Dragons, playing halfback in the 1977 Grand Final. ******

He came into the side replacing Billy Smith, who had been sidelined with a broken arm.[8]

A back and kidney injury put an end to his career at the end of the 1978 season.

Were you even born at this stage? Not judging.

ouryears

Bench
Small vs Big

You weigh 65 kilos and blokes twice your size are dying to swing you around their heads.

Welcome to the small footballer's world.

Rugby league has always prided itself, despite its inherent brutality, on being a game for all sizes.

The premiership trophy depicts a small man, Arthur Summons, embracing a giant in Norm Provan.

Maybe for a while there, when teams were increasingly made up of near-identical automatons, it was a fallacy. But with the likes of Penrith's pint-sized Dally M winner Preston Campbell and many more, the scales seem to be swinging towards the diminutive.

By comparison, the likes of giant Mark Tookey are gone and others, such as the Sydney Roosters' Anthony Tupou, had to lose up to 20kg to make it in the big time.

"If you ask guys like Preston or Alf [Allan Langer] how they survive in our game, they wouldn't be able to tell you," said Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy. "They just do.

They adapt, their body shape changes, they learn little tricks. It's like being the smallest animal in the jungle."

So, without any further ado, welcome to the jungle …

Campbell never thought he was too light to play football. But professional football? That was another thing altogether.

As a kid, he said this week, "I wasn't that much smaller … no, I lie. I was a fair bit smaller than those guys back then. But you don't really think about that stuff".

Campbell just bounced around the ovals of the Gold Coast, ducking under stiff arms and leading pub footballers on a merry dance - until the chance came to play for the Chargers.

"When it gets competitive like this, though, I wondered a little bit about whether I'd be able to do it," he said as he prepared for his representative debut for Country Origin last night "I played at 62 kilos on the Gold Coast. It was scary but I played at fullback and on the wing up there so I wasn't involved in the defensive role. The scary part about it was running at big blokes and them getting you and swinging you around."

Gold Coast were kicked out of the competition, Campbell went to Sydney and joined Cronulla and was introduced to pumping iron and eating long after he stopped being hungry.

"If I don't get into my weights and eat a fair bit, I struggle to stay above 70kg," he said. But he wouldn't swap his agility and speed for size and strength. He no longer gets scared when big blokes want to swing him around like something out of the hammer throw.

But he is never allowed to forget he is only 74kg, thanks to a refrain he hears all the time - maybe even in his sleep.

"They don't actually say, 'I'm running at you', but you can hear them say, 'Run at Campbell'," he said. "They don't actually look at me and say, 'I'm coming'."

Rugby league is about the size of your heart, not your body," said South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson

"I was at the Caxton Hotel last week and [former St George halfback] Mark Shulman walked in. He was so small - I couldn't believe he actually played first grade."

But physiotherapists caution that the costs of "playing above your weight" are high.

Dislocated shoulders, broken bones - particularly in bush football, where talent will get you playing above your grade, too.

"You have to have a star above you if you are going to be small and make it," said one physio, who asked not be identified.

"And life after football is already laid out. He could get eight rides on a Saturday afternoon at Randwick."

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/news/League/Leagues-little-masters/2005/05/06/1115092687775.html

Last edited by a moderator: