What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty or Dugan for Fullback in 2017?

tumbidragon

First Grade
Dufty can cut his teeth on the wing. Less pressure and easier on his small frame. He WILL be our FB in a couple years though. Too good to play in reggies next year.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Starting Dufty in reserve grade is not going to hurt him or his development. I am sure if his pathway to first grade is made clear to him and a plan is place to blood him, he should be happy with that. He will get his chances next season.

Of more concern for me is that Dugan and Dufty are completely different types of fullbacks. A structure to suit Dugan in first grade is not going to be the same as one that would suit Duftys style and vice versa. Changes due to injuries etc. will make the transition between players potentially disjointed. As I have said in a previous post, I would like to see Mann back to fullback with Dufty as his understudy. Mann showed he has skill and heart and inproved greatly.

Personally I still think Dugan is better suited to centre with his skills and size.

TheRev

First Grade
Of more concern for me is that Dugan and Dufty are completely different types of fullbacks. A structure to suit Dugan in first grade is not going to be the same as one that would suit Duftys style and vice versa. Changes due to injuries etc. will make the transition between players potentially disjointed.
Totally this.. esp with a coach who just cant take advantage of either of the players individual talents.. its very similar imo with Quinlan, we never really got him working effectively in our first grade side.. JD however has him as close to the best player in the NSW comp.

Bench
I hope Dufty is promoted to the cutters and give him half a season and if he can handle that give him a chance in first grade

Exsilium

First Grade
Dugan needs to moved on. He is a great player but without a passing game or effective playmaking ability, what does he actually offer?

The metre eater fullbacks aren't in the top 4 or even top 6 teams.

j0nesy

Bench
Our problem has been a lack of balance in the playmaking positions. We had two out and out five eights in the halves, neither great player makers or with a great kicking game. We had a running dummy half and a ball running full back. It was an absolutely poor combination of players in "the spine".

I totally agree with the club moving on Benji and Rein. I think McInnes is a good fit for our team. Not sure about Hutch at half, but he's steady can kick, pass and is a good link man, also played really well in the grand final. It's already a better combination than we had this year.

The missing piece is fullback. Was it the way Mary instructed him to play? Or is it that Dugan is that Dugan doesn't have a passing game? Either way I'd like to see him offload a bit more and I'd also like to see a lot more support play from Dugan if is to remain fullback. Otherwise Mann and Dufty are eagerly awaiting...