What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty

j0nesy

Bench
He's ready for cutters and as a fill in for first grade. My thinking is he is too small. It's as simple as that. He will get thrown around like a rag doll in firsts. We don't want that happening to him for 26 rounds, it could affect his confidence. When he gets a bit more muscle and strength on his frame he'll be a permanent first grader.

He's ready for cutters and as a fill in for first grade. My thinking is he is too small. It's as simple as that. He will get thrown around like a rag doll in firsts. We don't want that happening to him for 26 rounds, it could affect his confidence. When he gets a bit more muscle and strength on his frame he'll be a permanent first grader.

2 things have you watched the under 20s ? Because some of the guys his tackled 1 on 1 in recent weeks are massive and he might look small but he is very strong.
If you remember the best fullback of all time billy the kid he was not big or strong?

giboz71

First Grade
2 things have you watched the under 20s ? Because some of the guys his tackled 1 on 1 in recent weeks are massive and he might look small but he is very strong.
If you remember the best fullback of all time billy the kid he was not big or strong?

Yeh I agree.

Plenty of examples of great little fullbacks. Barba and Slater in recent years, Preston Campbell and Matty Bowen in the past. Bevan French is a likely star as well.

Put it this way, a big 100kg fullback hasn't really helped us has it?

Hopefully, Dufty can be the guy popping up all around the ball when someone makes a break. Duges hasn't really helped us there either.

giboz71

First Grade
Mary will ruin his confidence. Better off staying in Cutters under JD.

I agree.

I was talking about in 2018. Hopefully, some of his mates from the 20's will ready as well.

Will be nice to have some fire power in our backline which has been absent for years it seems.

I guess for me it's just this kid shows that he loves fullback where as Dugan for me wants the easy way out and the potential Iv seen I'd have him starting fullback and post a message to the team everybody is replaceable

getsmarty

Immortal
I guess for me it's just this kid shows that he loves fullback where as Dugan for me wants the easy way out and the potential Iv seen I'd have him starting fullback and post a message to the team everybody is replaceable

So replace a former N.S.W fullback with a rookie? Dugan's best position is fullback...Go back to the 1st 2 rounds this year. He is average at centre, where as he reads the defense well at fullback. Dufty should spend time in the Cutter's to prove himself and then look at the Dugan situation when his contract comes up for renewal.

j0nesy

Bench

Yes I've watched, he's strong for his size and has courage. But NRL players are a lot stronger and bigger than u20's.

Billy Slater is strong and he is a lot bigger than Dufty. But Dufty will probably fill out to a similar size.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dufty will become a good 1st grader and may even go on to rep level. I just think it would hurt his progress to rush him into a permanent fullback role in 1st grade. I think it would be better to use him as cover for injuries next season. If he excels then sure give him a permanent role. If he struggles or plays about average then use him as cover for injuries in 2017 and look to give him a permanent role in 2018.

Bench
Put him in the cutters for the first half of the season and then see if he can handle first grade, I think by 2018 he will be the first grade fullback

SaintPauli

Juniors
I never did mind the idea of allowing young undersized yet talented players come through. Even though errors came their way on the park, that was expected and well handled by great astute coaches eg Harry Bath, Roy Masters Brian Smith. In most cases the juniors progressed successfully forward.

On the flip side if we do not blood and show these kids they have a future in first grade they'll take opportunities elsewhere.

Eg Luke Patten and Brett Stewart told they were too skinny for first grade and more recently Jack Bird.

possm

Coach
Dufty should start out as fullback in the Cutters and be blooded on the wing and at fullback in the NRL team in 2017. We should look to Dufty as Dugan's replacement at contract end.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty eyeing NRL debut

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

30 Sep 2016, 10:30 a.m.
r267_0_887_850_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Dragons NYC start Matt Dufty is aiming to debut in the NRL in 2017.

See your ad here
HE’S been widely earmarked as a Dragons star of the future and NYC fullback Matt Dufty has set his sights on making his NRL debut in 2017.

Dufty was named in the 2016 NYC team of the year after an outstanding campaign with the Dragons, although they fell short of a grand final berth with a 26-20 loss to the Roosters in the prelim final last week.

“Credit to the boys that we came out there during the first-half and did everything that we planned on doing,” Dufty said.

“Unfortunately, we just couldn’t hang on during the second-half. The Roosters had come out hard during that second-half and we just couldn’t hang with them and it’s what ultimately got us in the end.

“I don’t get much of a break now before the start of the new preseason but I’m definitely looking forward to next year and the new challenge.

“I would like to hopefully make my debut next year but I’ll just rip in during preseason and see what happens from there.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4199005/dufty-eyeing-nrl-debut/?cs=3713