What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN NEXT

Frank Facer

First Grade
Canterbury don't have the room in their cap left to sign Duges. TPA or not. He will stay as will Packer I believe. I think they are happy at the Dragons.
Easts got Tedesco for 700K on the cap?????? I am pretty sure that we would have been able to offer Tedesco 1 mil a season, but we were not even in the race for his signature??? They also said that Tedesco signed for much less than he could of got elsewhere. I do not believe that either.

Brisbane were able to fit James Roberts into their salary cap, by letting go of Dale Copely. Brisbane even said that it improved their salary cap, when they signed Roberts. He too said that he signed for Brisbane for much less than he could have got at other clubs. I don't believe that one either. lol

The story was that Canterbury almost had Tedesco's signature and that would not have impacted on them being able to sign Woods and Foran as well. So if that is all true, then Canterbury will have the money that they were going to pay Tedesco still available for Dugan. Canterbury, Easts and Brisbane obviously do not have a salary cap, while we are handicapped by our salary cap and lack of third party payments, even though third party payments are supposed to have nothing to do with the clubs. lol

Last edited:

possm

Coach
just sign the contract ffs why is this taking so long?
Millward is a mess maker and leaves a mess where ever he goes. There is no logical reason to stare down Dugan. Just do the deal or let it go and find another.
We paid top dollar for Hunt
We paid top dollar for Vaughan
We paid top dollar for Widdop
Now we don't want to pay top dollar for Dugan
Packer?
Lafai?
Mann?

As I said before, Millward is out of his depth.

Notice we have heard nothing from Millward, Dugan is the one who came out and said it was crap.

possm

Coach
Canterbury don't have the room in their cap left to sign Duges. TPA or not. He will stay as will Packer I believe. I think they are happy at the Dragons.
But are they happy at the price Millward is offering them? Other clubs are coming in with a superior price - so the managers are saying - which will dirty the negotiations. We should have acted quickly and fairly.

ALSGI

Bench
Friz named Capt. I would have thought Duges if he was staying or even considering staying. If he wasn't looking like staying I get why Friz was picked.
Or am I reading to much into it ?

Saint or sinner

Juniors
If he has signed with the grubs ..we should use money to keep packer ,Mann,Lafai.. Ewe have field and Duffy and don't need to chase a fullback .. Time to give our juniors a go

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Millward is a mess maker and leaves a mess where ever he goes. There is no logical reason to stare down Dugan. Just do the deal or let it go and find another.
Packer?
Lafai?
Mann?

Notice we have heard nothing from Millward, Dugan is the one who came out and said it was crap.
Sorry, don't quite understand how he is a mess maker?
His job is to manage the cap which I think he is doing much more effectively than his predecessors

Red V for life

Juniors
Packer?
Lafai?
Mann?

Reading Duges' tweet and the reported increased offer, I think/hope they are trying to find the money rather than not wanting too pay it.

A few things have happened that put a spanner in the works from the Tigpies mess creating havoc in the market to the blistering form of some players the Club might have been prepared to let go or paid moderately on 2016 form.

In this case too I think Duges is the only one able to comment in the first instance and I'm glad he did. The Club could now come out and say yes, negotiations are continuing, but it's a delicate situation. If they announced negotiations were continuing and Duges signed elsewhere that night, they'd be on a flogging to nothing.

Best their attention be directed to securing him and others.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Friz named Capt. I would have thought Duges if he was staying or even considering staying. If he wasn't looking like staying I get why Friz was picked.
Or am I reading to much into it ?

ALSGI
Fiz was vc when widdop was captain so I guess there was no reason why he shouldn't get the job.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
It's called negotiation. If we paid whatever every agent wanted we would be screwed. We are the roasters broncos or dogs. Be patient.
This.
the player manager is trying to do the best for his client, Millward is trying to look after the clubs best interests. It's a balancing act and none of us know the ins and outs of contracts so I find it very hard to judge him

possm

Coach
Sorry, don't quite understand how he is a mess maker?
His job is to manage the cap which I think he is doing much more effectively than his predecessors
Well if you were in charge, would you begin setting up the 2018 roster by signing juniors, a centre and forwards or would you tie up the spine with marquee players and move down the line:
First tie up the spine - Hunt, Widdop, McInnes and Dugan
Second tie up the regular first grade players - Packer, Vaughan, De Belin, Lafai, Aitken
Third tie up the first graders you want to keep - Mann and whoever else the Club wants to keep.
Fourth tie up the juniors you want to keep with the remaining cap.

This process should be flexible e.g. if the Dogs are chasing Leilua, then look at that situation as a special case and act accordingly.

By following this conventional system, you tie up the 2018 top 17 prior to the end of 2016, leaving you a settled roster and plenty of time to sign juniors and other opportunities that may become available.

I'd say the golden rule should be to ensure we keep the first grade squad up to standard - if we lose someone replace them with a player of a similar or better standard. If a junior is considered ready for first grade, for sure consider him as a fringe first grader until he PROVES to be up to first grade standard.

If the above logic was followed, the protracted negotiations with Widdop and Dugan would not have occurred. The decision to retain or let go would have been made during the off-season and most probably at a better price however, if the decision was to make a play for someone else, at least we would be ready, armed with cap space and will to do a deal.

Finally, we cannot continue to compete in the market without access to the significant tool of TPA. In the same way as many clubs have done so, we need to ensure we have this same tool to compete for players.

I am of the firm belief that the NRL needs to clean up the TPA system and design a system which makes it a level playing field. For me TPA is not there to give one club an advantage over another, it should be there to renumerate players sufficiently to keep them playing in the NRL and not moving to a sport which pays more highly.

Emu01

Juniors
Let's call a spade a spade here. Josh was playing like a busted arse last year.

I remember people on here calling for him to be dropped for Dufty all off season.

Then he is off contract trains the house down all summer plays really well and now he holds the club to ransom demanding a million a season.

I say let him go to the Dogs and sign Packer..

possm

Coach

I remember people on here calling for him to be dropped for Dufty all off season.

Then he is off contract trains the house down all summer plays really well and now he holds the club to ransom demanding a million a season.

Packer for fullback?

For me it's got to be a tested top grade fullback to replace Dugan if he moves on. Even if it's just a one year contract - time enough to identify which junior is first grade ready. Millward seems to have gone off Dufty for some reason and instead identified Field as the future Dragon's fullback. Is it Dufty's size that concerns Millward or is it a matter of choosing one out of the two?

blacksafake

First Grade

Playing like a busted?
He along with Friz were consistently our best last year, hence their rep selections.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Packer?
Lafai?
Mann?

Come on Possm, you're better than that.

Sure, we all had our doubts about Millward, but he has re-signed Host, Leilua, Field, Aitken, Frizell, De Belin and Widdop... Whilst picking up the signatures of Hunt, Vaughan, McInnes and Macdonald.
Against all odds, at a time when the club was in disarray, he completely pulled us out of a grave.

I see you have thrown a few question marks on particular players there. Packer, Lafai and Mann.
Ask yourself this, based on last year, were any of those players a priority re-signing for us? Packer was good but he wasn't exactly setting the world alight. Lafai was f**king woeful, should have been released mid-season. Mann was good on the wing but unless you are a Brett Morris or a Josh Mansour, wingers should NEVER take priority over spine players or pack-leading forwards. Hunt, Vaughan, Widdop, De Belin, Frizell etc all took priority over these guys.

Not paying top dollar for Dugan is smart. Dugan is worth a lot of money but he is not worth the sort of money he and his manager are demanding. If we throw top dollar at him we could find ourselves in a difficult situation with the cap down the track that could completely dismantle our team. I commend Millward on sticking to his guns and not backing down against a player and manager trying to hold the club to ransom.
And for the record, it is NOT Millward's responsibility to respond to all of this gossip bullshit. I think you are getting a little bit caught up in all this speculation and missing a few facts here mate.

Emu01

Juniors
He wasn't to good,from memory he only scored one try last year(I could be wrong stand to be corrected).

He definitely was not playing great and people on here were doubting him.

We bought Paul Vaughn he got us going forward and on the back of that Josh played a lot better..

My point is I'd rather two good front rowers than a fullback that can be hot and cold.

Blacksafake just go back through the forum and you will see people were calling for Dufty to start the season in front of Dugan.

Drakon

Juniors
He wasn't to good,from memory he only scored one try last year(I could be wrong stand to be corrected).

He definitely was not playing great and people on here were doubting him.

We bought Paul Vaughn he got us going forward and on the back of that Josh played a lot better..

My point is I'd rather two good front rowers than a fullback that can be hot and cold.

Blacksafake just go back through the forum and you will see people were calling for Dufty to start the season in front of Dugan.
Emu01 - for the record.
Josh Dugan:-
2016 - 2 tries from 17 appearances
2017 - 2 tries from 6 appearances so far