What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN TO BE ANNOUNCED A SHARK THIS FRIDAY!

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I keep thinking about Benji Marshall and his exit last year. He had a national audience to whinge to via NRL 360 when we effectively showed him the door, and he stayed respectful till the end (even after getting dropped). Never bagged the club and thanked them for giving him the opportunity to return from Rugby.

And in terms of a "world class" player, Benji has more of a right to that mantle. Golden boot, international and club captain, world cup and premiership winner. He left us with dignity and recognised it was purely a business decision.

Difference is that Benji was shown the upmost respect by the club during that period, even after he laughed off their offer.

I've said it before, Millward started the shit show by making the unnecessary "centre" comments. People who want to point the finger at Dugan yet ignore this fact are either naive or malicious.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Difference is that Benji was shown the upmost respect by the club during that period, even after he laughed off their offer.

I've said it before, Millward started the shit show by making the unnecessary "centre" comments. People who want to point the finger at Dugan yet ignore this fact are either naive or malicious.

So what if dugan was told we see you as a centre ....and we will pay you 750k a year

So what if dugan was told we need to set aside 850k for a FB we want to sign or we want to pay 250k to a junior we believe is ready to be FB

So what!

Dugan is a man with a boys brain

Dugan is where the ball goes to die

Thats why he is not the chosen one

Smurf

Juniors
On reflection I am going to miss Dugan and Packer ..... or at least when someone better takes their place !!

Life's Good

Coach

I agree with you here up to a point. I think Dugan put the club offside a bit when he declared he would look at NFL & Yawnion in the media. This, I think, created the situation of the club thinking we won't meet his demands so what are our options and a plan was formed around Dufty/Field. This plan became a good cop/bad cop scenario. Millward as bad cop(Dugan is a centre, keep contract value in check) & Mary as good cop(Dugan is FB-this also shows his respect for Mary given he hasn't dropped in form through all of this). From there the media turned up the screws off the back of his manager to the point where the club withdrew the offer leaving Dugan no choice but to sign with the Sharks because there was no other interest in him.

I know this is very Possm like in it's speculation but that's how I see it. Anyway its time to move on.

Frank Facer

First Grade

It is reported that Dugan is on 850K a season this year? lol Dugan is on overs and wanted a pay rise from us. lol Dugan wanted us to pay him 1 mil a year to play fullback, that is elite fullback money, but Dugan is not the elite fullback that he thinks he is. In the end no other clubs signed him up for 1 mil a season and no clubs signed him as a fullback. Cronulla have already said that Holmes will be their fullback next year, so that means that Dugan was signed as centre. So it looks to me like Millward was right about Dugan. Millward should be commended for the way he dealt with Dugan and his manager.

giboz71

First Grade

He got dropped in the 2nd last round .

saintsarealive1

Juniors
It is reported that Dugan is on 850K a season this year? lol Dugan is on overs and wanted a pay rise from us. lol Dugan wanted us to pay him 1 mil a year to play fullback, that is elite fullback money, but Dugan is not the elite fullback that he thinks he is. In the end no other clubs signed him up for 1 mil a season and no clubs signed him as a fullback. Cronulla have already said that Holmes will be their fullback next year, so that means that Dugan was signed as centre. So it looks to me like Millward was right about Dugan. Millward should be commended for the way he dealt with Dugan and his manager.
This!

Old Timer

Coach
Benji took all our money under false pretences masquerading as a halfback so really hard for him to be critical although he was totally dismissive when we offer the $300k + car.
I note that there is no criticism of him re his exit from his real club "Balmain" where he almost destroyed the place along with that other imposter Farrah.
Short memory people.

Old Timer

Coach
Reported or fact?
Dugan is entitled to see himself as elite considering that he plays centre for Australia and the Australian coach stated categorically that he should play FB at club level where he has also represented NSW.
High praise indeed and to be so proficient in 2 positions would surely indicate that their is something more to him than just a club centre as how some people depict him in this place.
As if GI would just take centre money LOL.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Reported or fact?
Dugan is entitled to see himself as elite considering that he plays centre for Australia and the Australian coach stated categorically that he should play FB at club level where he has also represented NSW.
High praise indeed and to be so proficient in 2 positions would surely indicate that their is something more to him than just a club centre as how some people depict him in this place.
As if GI would just take centre

Elite means top of the top

The top 10 players in the game

Dugan IS NOT Australias FB

Fact

He is not a great FB

Mal agrees

He is a good player

Good....not elite

Who cares anyway....we need a ball playing and speedy FB

Fact

Dugan is worth 650k to 700k

The club handled this perfectly

In 12 months we will be saying dugan who?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...r/news-story/985b1ec03ad8dfbe77212f7d01bea0ad

Interesting article. Josh seems pretty dirty with the club. Whilst I understand where he is coming from, I feel like his ego is getting in the way a little bit here.

This whole thing about "just wanting to hear that I am an elite player" makes him seem a little bit precious.
Arguments both ways, faults on both sides.

Move on I guess.

Tom.
This should never had been made public and Milward was dumb for saying he only getting centre money because that's what he see him as.
He sould keep quiet.

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Interesting he says "loyalty wont pay the bills". What kind of bills does he have when several hundred thousand dollars a year wont pay the bills? I mean, I get that footy players only have a short window to make money but surely after 10 years of footy he will have more money than most of us?
Loyalty wont pay the bills....

Crush I agree with a lot of things you say.
But if I was Dugan I would take the offer of 4 years to.
He looking after himself.
But he doesn't need to bag the club either

Last edited:
So what if dugan was told we see you as a centre ....and we will pay you 750k a year

So what if dugan was told we need to set aside 850k for a FB we want to sign or we want to pay 250k to a junior we believe is ready to be FB

So what!

Dugan is a man with a boys brain

Dugan is where the ball goes to die

Thats why he is not the chosen one
Genius! First picked for right centre NSW. Australian test right centre, but he is shit because that's where the ball goes to die.

NSW and Australia selectors and coaches clearly don't subscribe to the same opinion, but what would they know, right?

Gareth67

First Grade
Genius! First picked for right centre NSW. Australian test right centre, but he is shit because that's where the ball goes to die.

NSW and Australia selectors and coaches clearly don't subscribe to the same opinion, but what would they know, right?

How's your breathing now buddy , since you took those bluudy ridiculous straws from your big noze ? Tell me , just between the two of us , was a free tatt. part of the deal and lord knows what other shenanigans that caused our Duges to go over to the ' dark-side ' ?

Crush

Coach

Careful Miller, You haven't been through the Dugan rollercoaster ride yet. There will be times where you will be loving the duges and hating the duges. Its emotional supporting the duges. Yes the guy is a potent right centre but he WILL be unavailable due to injury often. About 33% or there abouts over his whole nrl career. Thats hard to deal with, trust me.
NSW and Australian selectors only need him to be fit for a few games a year. The club suffers the most with duges.
A 4 year deal will equate to 3 years of footy over 4 years....MAX.

How's your breathing now buddy , since you took those bluudy ridiculous straws from your big noze ? Tell me , just between the two of us , was a free tatt. part of the deal and lord knows what other shenanigans that caused our Duges to go over to the ' dark-side ' ?
A tatt was thrown in, but I think it was the "you are an elite player" that sealed the deal