What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN TO BE ANNOUNCED A SHARK THIS FRIDAY!

Old Timer

Coach
Hazz, I am with you. But before we close the issue I will leave you with this information that I have heard from someone within the club.
They are very dirty on the way that Dugan has handled his exit.
Negotiations with Packer and Dugan were ongoing and when Packer decided to take a bigger offer from Tigers Packer personally called McGregor and told him that he had decided to take the Tigers offer because it was considerably more money than he had been offered by dragons. He thanked them for everything and said was indebted to the club for their support over the years.
Dugan did his deal, and then sent a text msg to Mary saying "going to the sharks"
They aren't happy. It didn't end well....
I'm sure Dugan isn't happy it didn't end well either.
Nobody knows all the ins and outs but one thing I do know is the coach was backed into a corner and taken out of the negotiations so if that's what Duges sent to Mary I would love to see what he sent to Doust & Millward.
Easy to paint Dugan as the bad guy whilst not evaluating his real desire to stay at the club.
Obviously more to it than meets the eye or what the reporters print in the paper.

hazzbeen

Bench
Always two sides to a situation like this.

Seems to me there are ridiculously over the top personalities clashing
Really the NRL need to do something with this mid season signings , its no good for the Clubs , Fans , and I guess the players themselves . Why cant this all be done end of season , negotiations and player movements .

Crush

Coach
I'm sure Dugan isn't happy it didn't end well either.
Nobody knows all the ins and outs but one thing I do know is the coach was backed into a corner and taken out of the negotiations so if that's what Duges sent to Mary I would love to see what he sent to Doust & Millward.
Easy to paint Dugan as the bad guy whilst not evaluating his real desire to stay at the club.
Obviously more to it than meets the eye or what the reporters print in the paper.
Absolutely more to it and clearly Dugan feels hard done by.
It is sounding pretty messy though.
From what I heard today some at the club is done with him.

mickeylane

Bench
The simple fact is that Millward totally "mismanaged" negotiations..

Why on earth he started with the club is only going to consider Dugan as a Centre was probably the most inept statement made by a senior person recruiting for a football club! that very statement put Dugan off side as he felt that he was one of the best fullbacks in the world and not to be considered as one by the club was an insult....all he ever asked for was to be recognised as a world class player that can play in a few positions and the club will most likely utilize him as a centre next year! ..Millward tried to minimize the investment by pigeon holing Dugan and all it did was send him off the rails - in the end The Sharks paid less for him a year than our offer of $800K a year for 3 years...in the end he left on principal!!

Our bad not his!! Millward hang your head - you failed on this one!

ALSGI

Bench
Really the NRL need to do something with this mid season signings , its no good for the Clubs , Fans , and I guess the players themselves . Why cant this all be done end of season , negotiations and player movements .
Wont hapen Haz, not in the NRL's best immediate interest, the free media it creates alone is Trump like. The game stopped being about fans, players and clubs best interest a long time ago, despite the rhetoric from officials. I don't think the players assoc and managers that feed the media would ever comply either - too much $$$ to be lost by dealing in the off season while we're all watching the Cricket.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Wont hapen Haz, not in the NRL's best immediate interest, the free media it creates alone is Trump like. The game stopped being about fans, players and clubs best interest a long time ago, despite the rhetoric from officials. I don't think the players assoc and managers that feed the media would ever comply either - too much $$$ to be lost by dealing in the off season while we're all watching the Cricket.

Sadly ........................ very true that.

saintsarealive1

Juniors

Why on earth he started with the club is only going to consider Dugan as a Centre was probably the most inept statement made by a senior person recruiting for a football club! that very statement put Dugan off side as he felt that he was one of the best fullbacks in the world and not to be considered as one by the club was an insult....all he ever asked for was to be recognised as a world class player that can play in a few positions and the club will most likely utilize him as a centre next year! ..Millward tried to minimize the investment by pigeon holing Dugan and all it did was send him off the rails - in the end The Sharks paid less for him a year than our offer of $800K a year for 3 years...in the end he left on principal!!

But the ball will now die less, more speed, more tries, more wins, more fans thru the gates!

Saints win, Dugan loses.

Please try to remember we pulled the offer.

The prick didnt walk.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
And finally, most on this forum seem to want a team full of juniors.

With Dugan getting punted, you will now have your wish likely to come to fruition.

So stop moaning just because the boring one got punted.

Far more exciting times ahead.
A FB who will run fast, swerve, pass the ball, and geeze...he might even score some damn tries.

Frank Facer

First Grade

I disagree and commend Millward for the way he dealt with Dugan. Dugan was on overs and expected us to give him a pay rise. No other club offered Dugan more than the original 750K a season that we offered him and no club signed him to play fullback, so no other clubs thought he was one of the best fullbacks in the world either. I am confident that we will have a better fullback than Dugan in the next 2 or 3 years.

giboz71

First Grade

We've made similar statements in the past. We declared Merrin our highest paid forward in history. And with Bmoz, didn't we declare we weren't going to pay ridiculous money for a winger?

It's hardly the first time we've not met the demands of a player and made public statements about it.

Duges is no different ...he's got his contract. Time to move on.

Crush

Coach
With Dugan now in his final couple of months as a Dragon, wouldn't it be nice to see him stay fit and make a big contribution to our finals chances. I'd like to see him finish strong and go out on a high.
I just cannot see him staying on the field for more than a few weeks at a time though. The poor guy is so injury prone its not funny....

Bench
It will be interesting to see if Dugan lasts the four years. The way he puts his body on the line he is going to get injured.
Agree Millward screwed it up only time will tell if he was right.
I wish Dugan all the best any way

Latest posts