What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN TO BE ANNOUNCED A SHARK THIS FRIDAY!

FlameThrower

Bench
Only an opinion but it's likely that the Dugan circus potentially cost you the signature of big Russ. Same almost happened to us when Bird was delaying his decision which prevented us from signing Chad Townsend. If you'd have known Dugan was going elsewhere you surely would have found an extra 100k per year for Packer......While I understand it's in their interest to get the best deal possible -these two have been particularly precious and it can and does have an impact on other signings,
Became very obvious months back and alarm bells been ringing for weeks. To be honest that fiasco at the Tigers with 3 of the big 4 leaving has triggered a mini super league bidding war. If that had not happened this scenario may have not occurred?

possm

Coach
Became very obvious months back and alarm bells been ringing for weeks. To be honest that fiasco at the Tigers with 3 of the big 4 leaving has triggered a mini super league bidding war. If that had not happened this scenario may have not occurred?
We managed to sign Hunt early. We needed to at least sign Packer early. The Dugan offer should have been pulled earlier and maybe we would have found a replacement.

John moz

Juniors
All dragons need to do is come in with a 4 year deal before tomorrow. They need to pull there finger out and get it done.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
My last two cents on the subject.....I'd be filthier on Dugan leaving because he's earned good money over the past few years yet wants more. Packer on the other hand had two years earning nothing (jail time and suspension) then the next two years where he has earned less than his worth because he was considered a risk and had to prove himself. Ultimately Packers next contract was crucial to him because of his past misdemeanors and a four year deal worth an extra 100k per year is worth an extra million bucks......you'd have to be very loyal for a million bucks not to count.

jay mac

Juniors
I am not disappointed by Dugan leaving. There is no question that he is a phenomenal player. However, considering his market value, i think we'll end up with a more balanced overall squad without him. Here's why:

• I don't feel that he's a natural "winner", in the vein of someone like Smith or Thurston. I'm not talking about a game-winner, i'm talking about someone that has that next level of competitiveness. It's interesting (and not surprising) that his career win % is only ~45%.
  • He has spent a significant part of his 9-year career on the sidelines through injury or other misdemeanors. In fact he has only played 20 or more games in 2 seasons (2010 with Raiders and 2015 with Dragons).
  • I want to support guys who are willing to leave cash on the table to play for this club. It was obvious to me from the word go that Dugan was out to get the best deal he could and if that's what he wants then good for him. But I just think the culture of this club is better off without those types of people.
  • Without knowing the club's full salary cap position, you'd have to assume we are now in a strong position to re-sign the likes of Mann, Milne and Lafai and enter the market for a mid-range outside back and front-rower. I know the pickings are getting slim, but i have a strong feeling there'll be more players come onto the market for 2018 than there are now (e.g. Bulldogs and Roosters needing to shed some weight)

possm

Coach
I am not disappointed by Dugan leaving. There is no question that he is a phenomenal player. However, considering his market value, i think we'll end up with a more balanced overall squad without him. Here's why:

• I don't feel that he's a natural "winner", in the vein of someone like Smith or Thurston. I'm not talking about a game-winner, i'm talking about someone that has that next level of competitiveness. It's interesting (and not surprising) that his career win % is only ~45%.
  • He has spent a significant part of his 9-year career on the sidelines through injury or other misdemeanors. In fact he has only played 20 or more games in 2 seasons (2010 with Raiders and 2015 with Dragons).
  • I want to support guys who are willing to leave cash on the table to play for this club. It was obvious to me from the word go that Dugan was out to get the best deal he could and if that's what he wants then good for him. But I just think the culture of this club is better off without those types of people.
  • Without knowing the club's full salary cap position, you'd have to assume we are now in a strong position to re-sign the likes of Mann, Milne and Lafai and enter the market for a mid-range outside back and front-rower. I know the pickings are getting slim, but i have a strong feeling there'll be more players come onto the market for 2018 than there are now (e.g. Bulldogs and Roosters needing to shed some weight)
Dugan and Packer were two of our key players in our power plan style of football. Maybe they don't like the power plan style.

GC Dragon

Juniors
I'd rather we offer Hayne a two year deal. Much stronger move for 2018-2019.
Reported up here that Hayne has been shopped around with absolutely no interest from any other NRL club . He is on 1.2mil with the Titans and no club in there right mind would top that figure .

With the way Tyrone Roberts is playing the Titans would love a club to take him and free up 1.2mil in there cap . But if Hayne is playing in the NRL next year it will be with the Titans . Roberts reportedly on 300k and looking for a better deal .

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If I had my way , I would tar and feather him and his bluudy manager for prolonging the negotiations for so long . " I would like this to be sorted out before the beginning of the season " .

Well Duges puss- off to the sharks and take your bluudy tatts with you .

The company over there may be better suited to you , and by the way , don't go climbing anymore roofs , as the Joint Venture won't be there to catch you this time .

Just anther reason to hate the fcken scum.
Let him play for illawarra for the rest of the season.
Give Dufty a chance .
Step up to the plate son.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Very annoying if we lose him and packer. We can't rule out the rumours about Hunts signing cash being not in some way true as well. Millward could of been in damage control on that announcement that Hunt isn't on that kind of money to prevent further players blowing up but who knows.
Maybe this has something to do with these two after the re signing of Widdop as well. Might not be much space left in the cap.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Once Dugan & his dickhead manager announce the end of the circus, I'd like to see Mary move him to right centre to replace an injured Aitken. It's an opportunity to look ahead for our next FB from within the club ranks.

No f**k off to illawarra.
Give dufty a real go

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Plenty of us not real excited about the prospect of Duges in a Sharks jumper but it is what it is I guess. Hearing very similar offer to you guys under the cap. Someone needs to let Dousty understand that third party agreements are more than a carton of crownies from the brewery these days!

So he take whos spot a the sharks.
Surely they will leave homes at full back.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
So he take whos spot a the sharks.
Surely they will leave homes at full back.
Birds centre spot. Pretty much a straight swap for Bird imo. Neither can pass or kick but both are instinctive running footballers. Not a fan of either regarding how they go about all the dramatics signing contracts either.Only upside for us is Dugan is a better defender but would prefer neither tbh.

possm

Coach
Very annoying if we lose him and packer. We can't rule out the rumours about Hunts signing cash being not in some way true as well. Millward could of been in damage control on that announcement that Hunt isn't on that kind of money to prevent further players blowing up but who knows.
Maybe this has something to do with these two after the re signing of Widdop as well. Might not be much space left in the cap.
We had 800k to sign Dugan and 600k to sign Packer. That's 1.4m. We have the money to sign Hayne ahd have money left over, I sure if Millward put his mind to it, he could sign Hayne for seasons 2018-2019. I'm sure the Titans would subsidise the deal by around 400k to 500k.

Bench
Dugan might not get the fullback position. Their coach has come out and said Holmes will be the fullback.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Just a hypothetical question what if this does a complete about face & he decides to re-sign.Will there still be the anger.:confused:

Hell yeh ........... this is a forum, I can trot out the happy face or the angry face.
My keypad has no boundaries.
I've been known to pull a poker face but that fails to light up the forum.

Latest posts