What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN TO BE ANNOUNCED A SHARK THIS FRIDAY!

Lethal25

Juniors
There's a whole heap of people on this forum who'll probably achieve nothing of significance in their lives who are really quick to bag a guy who has one very short period of his life to set himself up financially for making a business decision.
I'll miss the Duges but if he moves on the decision is personal and makes perfect sense for him.
I suspect there's a lot of people on here with dead end jobs who are more than a tad envious that footy players with a ten year career full of risk earn more money in that ten years than they will in their entire lives.
I'm going to assume you mean achieving no great heights from a work perspective

I'd rank raising children into good human beings as a greater achievement

cussy

Juniors
In your opinion but others see it differently.
Many think Dugan is worth every penny.
IMO Hunt isn't worth what we paid but if that's what it took to get the deal done so be it.
Re Millward he stuck his nose into an area which created turmoil so f**k him he deserves criticism.
We paid overs for Hunt and we offered under's for Dugan and Packer and resigned a few juniors who can't get a run over KFFL and Mc Crone so some good, some bad but nothing there for me to have glowing adoration for his efforts.
Anyway we will only know the answers next year.[/QUOTE
That's my point you guys are bitching and moaning without knowing the full picture. There maybe a plan B and bag Millward out prematurely is bullshit. Hunt is worth every cent any good playmaker is. Like i said i would live for Dugan to stay but not for 1 million$$. That's crazy money. Packer I'm disappointed to see leave but he was offers a deal too good to refuse.

It's absolutely clear to all that Millward's recruitment/retention and negotiations skills did not delver a positive result when it comes to the retention of Dugan and Packer. A serious matter when you consider these two players wanted to stay and are key first grade players at our Club. What is worse is that it seems he does not have a plan B. To revert to play untested juniors in these two key positions is madness and a step backwards in the team's development.
No need for you to speak for me, possm. Not absolutely clear to me, and I actually think Millward has done a decent job, under difficult circumstances. The retention of Dugan (who hasn't actually gone yet, anyway) and Packer for the money they got or want would not have been wise, in my opinion. For the life of me, I have no idea how anyone could think spending a million a year to hold onto Duges would be the right thing to do.

Leave Basil alone!

mickeylane

Bench
The answer to this puzzle is the answer to this question; Why did Dugan's manager want Dugan's contract settled before a deal with Packer? Why did Millward agree to this ridiculous request?
I keep telling everyone here..
Packer is managed by George Mimis
Dugan is managed by a different manager

Nothing to do w each other negotiations!!

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
It's absolutely clear to all that Millward's recruitment/retention and negotiations skills did not delver a positive result when it comes to the retention of Dugan and Packer. A serious matter when you consider these two players wanted to stay and are key first grade players at our Club. What is worse is that it seems he does not have a plan B. To revert to play untested juniors in these two key positions is madness and a step backwards in the team's development.

Possm, I don't think it is fair to judge Millward on just Dugan and Packer. He is the same guy who has brought us Vaughan, who was referred to by some on the Forum as a "second-grader"and McInnes, whose departure some Forum posters claimed Souths fans were celebrating, as well as Ben Hunt next year. Apart from Packer he has the forward pack stitched up as well as some good young forwards. He has also signed up a range of good, young backs. I am just anxious now that the first grade backs are resigned ASAP especially Lafai and Mann, but also Milne. I hope too that Hutch is not forgotten.

Other posters have been critical of Millward as being amongst "the jobs for the boys" brigade. Ideally every position would be held by the best person for the role. Indeed I would like to see more transparency in the selection of individuals for the most important positions. For example, instead of extending Mary's tenure or terminating his role I would love to see the job thrown open to all candidates who might seek the coaching job. Why not see who other than Mary would be interested? As far as I can recall that was last done after the disastrous 2000 season, although I don't remember how open the candidature was.

But it is only natural that gravitation back to your own club occurs across all the clubs. Consider where coaches get their start. Think of Gould, Hasler, Fulton, Furner, Fittler, Toovey, Anderson, Folkes, Gibson, Henjak and Hagan to name a few. Luke Bailey gets a start as an assistant with Illawarra. Who could object? seems like commonsense. At least in Millward's case he has coached for some years in the Super League to broaden his experience.

SGMax

Juniors
Something smells! I've had this feeling, right from when this Sharks offer was announced, that this is all fake and about Cronulla causing mischief and disruption to the Dragons.
Together with Dugan's manager, they want to destabilise the Dragons team and cost them as much as possible from their cap.

It doesn't make any sense. If the sharks are looking for a top centre, why no action on Gagai or Chambers, or anyone else....just Dugan at top dollarfor a fullback to play centre?

Once Dugan realises that the offer wasn't really genuine and Millward won't budge, he will end up staying.
Should know soon.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Bloke is made of glass, goes down like Steve Matai, like someone shot them, then gets up.

Can play, no question, but made of glass.

hazzbeen

Bench
Something smells! I've had this feeling, right from when this Sharks offer was announced, that this is all fake and about Cronulla causing mischief and disruption to the Dragons.
Together with Dugan's manager, they want to destabilise the Dragons team and cost them as much as possible from their cap.

It doesn't make any sense. If the sharks are looking for a top centre, why no action on Gagai or Chambers, or anyone else....just Dugan at top dollarfor a fullback to play centre?

Once Dugan realises that the offer wasn't really genuine and Millward won't budge, he will end up staying.
Should know soon.
You could be onto something . IMO I would not pay 1mil for Duges to play center or fullback ....

possm

Coach
I keep telling everyone here..
Packer is managed by George Mimis
Dugan is managed by a different manager

Nothing to do w each other negotiations!!
Well there you go. So why did Millward agree to do Dugan's contract first. He could have just signed Packer in the period November to February. At that time no one was after him and Cleary was not at the Tigers and Woods was not signed by the Dogs.

since77

Juniors
I'm going to assume you mean achieving no great heights from a work perspective

I'd rank raising children into good human beings as a greater achievement

Why are people confusing work, career and business with children? Should go without saying raising kids is an honour.

gitano

Juniors
Why are people confusing work, career and business with children? Should go without saying raising kids is an honour.
Because some idiots place being good at sport above the many who contribute much more to society.

Lethal25

Juniors
In answer to your question, you may have been clear in your mind about the intent of your dialogue but everyone is different and place different levels of importance on things so just seeking clarity. No harm

MilanDragon

Juniors
Well there you go. So why did Millward agree to do Dugan's contract first. He could have just signed Packer in the period November to February. At that time no one was after him and Cleary was not at the Tigers and Woods was not signed by the Dogs.

Who's to say Packers manager didn't want to wait? Maybe packer felt if he started the season well he would drive up his value.. which he has done. A lot of people were waiting for the salary cap announcement to be made.

There is two sides to every deal.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Should know soon.

Well, Buzz Baby Rothfield been blowing on about it him going to the Sharks so it would surprise me if it was crap talk.

When it's NRL related, nothing surprises me anymore.
The only thing that stands the test of time ,,,,, are the fans.

since77

Juniors
In answer to your question, you may have been clear in your mind about the intent of your dialogue but everyone is different and place different levels of importance on things so just seeking clarity. No harm

My comments are directed at the people who jump up and down because players choose money over "loyalty" to a football team.

Latest posts