What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan's worth

denis preston

First Grade
Let me start by saying Josh has been a very good player for us and has deserved his SOO jumper.... BUT last nights performance showed to me that on current values he is worth no more than 650k a year. He is so one dimensional and his efforts in passing and kicking was , well , laughable. To put it in context should we have paid the extra 200k a year for 4 years and risk losing one of the 4 U20 players from last night as well as Host, Sele , Dufty etc before they reach their full potential .? As a fullback , the game has passed him by . I am proud that the club stood firm with their offer as I believe that it will give the most benefits in the long term.

Morotti

Juniors
hard to judge him off one game so you are a little harsh there.

It seems he went because he was offered 4 years instead of 3.

My question with Dugan at fullback is can he take us to win a grand final. Does he have the full repertoire? And I question his abilities ball playing as a fullback which everyone does. He really has no idea how to pass which is concerning. And I suppose these days that is a pre-requisite. Part of me wishes he had stayed so the young up and comers could take another 1-2 years to properly settle into adult bodies and playing against fully grown men. Still I do believe we have options.

One option I am not sure whether anyone has considered is Michael Gordon for 1 year? He is doing his thing for the Roosters and not going too badly. He could not hurt on a cheaper contract as back up surely?

possm

Coach
I'm not here to defend Dugan however, it was his first match back from being injured with a fractured jaw. I'm sure he will progressively get back to his normal self but hope he is ot selected in SOO2 because I don't want him injured again.

denis preston

First Grade
I'm not here to defend Dugan however, it was his first match back from being injured with a fractured jaw. I'm sure he will progressively get back to his normal self but hope he is ot selected in SOO2 because I don't want him injured again.

The point really being it does not matter if one game back if he does't posses the required skill sets to be a "marque " player and to get the "marque " money he has to be a fullback.His speed and injury recovery won't get any better as well over the next 4 years.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Thread title makes me think of Dugan's long lost twin brother..

In walks a clean skinned man, wearing a 3 piece suit, smart glasses and slicked back hair..

With a posh English accent he says:

"Hello, I'm Joshua Dugansworth"

jak

Bench
he is not worth losing field or dufty or maybe both if they had given him a 3 or 4 year contract

Old Timer

Coach
I have been a staunch Dugan man and rightfully so.
Last night he was not good and the persistence people have about being a centre is invalid.
He is a FB and that's it and saying that he does bring different skills to other FB's.
I am just sorry we didn't see him playing with a really good halves pairing as I think we have missed seeing the very best of him.
Anyway we will never know so good luck to him and good luck to us.
Time to move on and see what the club decides to do and lets hope that it is a good decision.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I honestly think that Field could be a better fullback than Dugan, by next year. I also think that Lafai and Milne are as good as Dugan at centre. We also have Dufty and Masters as potential fullbacks and Herbert, Garrick and Lomax. So I don't think Dugan would have been value to us at any price.

Just remember that no other clubs in the NRL wanted him as a fullback.

I would put a $600K value on Dugan, but I would not want us to sign him for that much either.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
It seems Josh has talked himself into playing for scumella.ironic DUGAN was replaced by BIRD Last night . next year DUGAN replaces BIRD .think scumella took 1 step forward and 2 steps back

Let me start by saying Josh has been a very good player for us and has deserved his SOO jumper.... BUT last nights performance showed to me that on current values he is worth no more than 650k a year. He is so one dimensional and his efforts in passing and kicking was , well , laughable. To put it in context should we have paid the extra 200k a year for 4 years and risk losing one of the 4 U20 players from last night as well as Host, Sele , Dufty etc before they reach their full potential .? As a fullback , the game has passed him by . I am proud that the club stood firm with their offer as I believe that it will give the most benefits in the long term.
Agree every time he chipped it in went straight to a qld player and he did it a few times it failed every time let's think 5-10 years down the track with dufty and field cronullas chickens will come to roost in a year or two with a couple of these high price signings so f**k em'

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Agree every time he chipped it in went straight to a qld player and he did it a few times it failed every time let's think 5-10 years down the track with dufty and field cronullas chickens will come to roost in a year or two with a couple of these high price signings so f**k em'
He never seems to use a strong fend, he is big and strong....but gets tackled pretty comfortably.

Also gets coralled over the sideline.... often.

Como Connection

First Grade
One major thing happened last night.
We won.
The benefit of winning has possible longer term repercussion for us Dragons fans.
There has been some talk about Daley being our coach next season.

Well for one, l hope NSW keep winning so that Daley stays on as SOO coach.
Was told that today.
But could be a bit unreliable as he was not my usual good info man.
However, more than happy to have Daley.
CC

Frank Facer

First Grade
I don't want us to have Daley as our coach. He was a great player, but that does not make him a great coach. I remember listening to his commentary on Fox. His comments were usually very basic and superficial, like what you would be saying to under 11's or something. He does not strike me as having an insightful football brain.

I would take Brownie over Daley any day of the week.