What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early predictions for season 2017!

hindy111

Post Whore
So is DWZ and he's been in way better form especially last year and I think the momentum will keep going while hiku can score tries but is terrible in defense and is always injured for the long term. At this point I'd have hiku as the back up and DWZ starting
Hiku played 61/67 possible games for manly. Injury prone?

betcats

Referee
Was he defending with Soward?
Tepai Moera was terrible to when Sandow was beside him

Nah he was the other side. His issues are more application than anything, he can get lazy and come up with poor attempt or he can read it wrong sometimes but most centres do that. He looks great now though, he will put on some hits this season I think.

betcats

Referee
MOMENTS after making his NRL debut as an 18-year-old last year, Nathan Cleary was given some surprise advice by Melbourne rival Cooper Cronk.

“Cooper came up to me and told me to remember defence was always the most important thing, and he was right,’’ Cleary told The Daily Telegraph.

“Since my debut, all the big guys tried to throw me off my game, I accepted it and knew it was coming, and I had to prepare for it each week.

“After that (Melbourne) game, Cam Smith came up and said ‘congratulations’, while Cooper spoke about defence.

“It was pretty cool because I grew up idolising those guys — talking to them after the game was pretty sick. It shows how good they are for the sport, they’ve achieved everything and are happy to pass on tips to the younger blokes. That’s why they’re such superstars of the game.’’

With Cronk’s wisdom in mind, Cleary has made a point of working on his defence during the sweltering Penrith summer.

“There are a lot of areas I can improve on, and cleaning up defence has been one of them,’’ Cleary said.

It’s not that I’m a liability, I just want respect from the people inside and outside me.

“I’ve also focused on adding a bit more muscle and getting a bit faster.’’

Cleary will run out in front of an expected crowd of 5000 fans for their trial match against bitter rivals Parramatta on Saturday night.

The Pepper Stadium final pre-season hitout will also be the first time Cleary gets the chance to team up with 21-year-old five-eighth Te Maire Martin.

Martin is far from guaranteed to wear the Penrith No. 6 jersey in the opening round against the Dragons, but will do his chances no harm should he immediately click with the halfback.

Cleary was a breath of fresh air last season and his maturity is the big reason plenty of good judges believe he will not buckle under the weight of expectation.

Coach Anthony Griffin and club great Greg Alexander are just two people who backed Cleary to cope in his sophomore season.

“I try to stay calm and don’t get ahead of myself, and having people around me like ‘Wal’ (Peter Wallace) and “Merro’ (Trent Merrin) help me stay grounded as well,’’ Cleary said.

“This has been my first first-grade pre-season, it’s been tough in the heat, the weights have been more intense, and I’ve been trying to build myself up a bit.

“I want to play each week and keep my spot in first grade.

“Hook (Griffin) has told me to not overplay my hand, to keep working hard, training hard, and everything will work out.’’

As for his combination with Martin, the 21-year-old Kiwi who won plenty of admirers early last season before a crunching Luke Lewis tackle ended his season, Cleary said: “He’s the fast one, he definitely has the running game down pat, and hopefully I’m the cool head who can direct us around. I’ll take on board the shot calling, and I’ll let him work his magic.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/112d804b49d9723301fbd62a06232655

As much as I want to I just cant hate Cronk, and I hope Cleary keeps getting advice form him.

franklin2323

Immortal
MOMENTS after making his NRL debut as an 18-year-old last year, Nathan Cleary was given some surprise advice by Melbourne rival Cooper Cronk.

“Cooper came up to me and told me to remember defence was always the most important thing, and he was right,’’ Cleary told The Daily Telegraph.

“Since my debut, all the big guys tried to throw me off my game, I accepted it and knew it was coming, and I had to prepare for it each week.

“After that (Melbourne) game, Cam Smith came up and said ‘congratulations’, while Cooper spoke about defence.

“It was pretty cool because I grew up idolising those guys — talking to them after the game was pretty sick. It shows how good they are for the sport, they’ve achieved everything and are happy to pass on tips to the younger blokes. That’s why they’re such superstars of the game.’’

With Cronk’s wisdom in mind, Cleary has made a point of working on his defence during the sweltering Penrith summer.

“There are a lot of areas I can improve on, and cleaning up defence has been one of them,’’ Cleary said.

It’s not that I’m a liability, I just want respect from the people inside and outside me.

“I’ve also focused on adding a bit more muscle and getting a bit faster.’’

Cleary will run out in front of an expected crowd of 5000 fans for their trial match against bitter rivals Parramatta on Saturday night.

The Pepper Stadium final pre-season hitout will also be the first time Cleary gets the chance to team up with 21-year-old five-eighth Te Maire Martin.

Martin is far from guaranteed to wear the Penrith No. 6 jersey in the opening round against the Dragons, but will do his chances no harm should he immediately click with the halfback.

Cleary was a breath of fresh air last season and his maturity is the big reason plenty of good judges believe he will not buckle under the weight of expectation.

Coach Anthony Griffin and club great Greg Alexander are just two people who backed Cleary to cope in his sophomore season.

“I try to stay calm and don’t get ahead of myself, and having people around me like ‘Wal’ (Peter Wallace) and “Merro’ (Trent Merrin) help me stay grounded as well,’’ Cleary said.

“This has been my first first-grade pre-season, it’s been tough in the heat, the weights have been more intense, and I’ve been trying to build myself up a bit.

“I want to play each week and keep my spot in first grade.

“Hook (Griffin) has told me to not overplay my hand, to keep working hard, training hard, and everything will work out.’’

As for his combination with Martin, the 21-year-old Kiwi who won plenty of admirers early last season before a crunching Luke Lewis tackle ended his season, Cleary said: “He’s the fast one, he definitely has the running game down pat, and hopefully I’m the cool head who can direct us around. I’ll take on board the shot calling, and I’ll let him work his magic.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/112d804b49d9723301fbd62a06232655

As much as I want to I just cant hate Cronk, and I hope Cleary keeps getting advice form him.

Cronk seems alright unlike that prick Smith

betcats

Referee
He's a good person for Cleary to model his game after, I think I even compared them after seeing Cleary in the NYC for the first time. If Cleary is bigger and faster this year as he said then I think some of the half breaks he was making last year will be clean breaks. I hope he doesn't stop testing the defence with his running game.

franklin2323

Immortal
He's a good person for Cleary to model his game after, I think I even compared them after seeing Cleary in the NYC for the first time. If Cleary is bigger and faster this year as he said then I think some of the half breaks he was making last year will be clean breaks. I hope he doesn't stop testing the defence with his running game.

TMM is the perfect foil will take the line on more then pass but both need to do all skills for the halves. You are right Cronk sees the situation and can run kick or just get the ball out wide if needed

franklin2323

Immortal
After watching both trials and 9's. I see no reason to see why we shouldn't start as comp favourites. We now just hope they live up to that level

Doomednow

Bench
I think we'll do pretty well over the season. Top 6. Injuries might hurt us, and as much as I want to get into the hype and put us top 4 or even top 2 the comp is so unpredictable it's just not anywhere near certain. What is certain: Moylan will continue to frustrate his haters (best value), Waqa will only get better, and Tamou will be decent. I'm just excited to see some footy tbh. Woot bring on the 2017 season.

maple_69

Bench
Cleary is already a big half back. If he does add some more muscle over the next few years he will have a similar frame to Freddie/Anasta. I don't expect him to ever become a lethal runner but I think he'll definitely require close attention and will create a lot of space for the guys around him to work with.

Kilkenny

Coach
It would appear that back five who started against the Eels will most likely be the back five to start against the Dragons. I thought maybe Dylan Edwards may have secured one of the wing spots but I think it is a given Hook is going with the tried and true. TMM and Cleary obviously the halves combination. That's the backline sorted. The starting forward pack likewise picks itself which only leaves the make up of the four players selected on the interchange bench. Your guess is as good as mine in respect of which way coach Hook goes.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sam McKendry has suffered partial ACL tear and from what Gus reports on his twitter feed they are going to attempt to rehab the injury and not opt for the full reconstruction option (at this stage anyway) which obviously would rule him out for the whole of 2017. I guess you have to take the positive's out of this news and hope in a month's time the injury may heal sufficiently to see him back at some stage in 2017. I googled 'prognosis for partial ACL tear' and from most account's it is largely a 'hit and miss' affair. Anyway better news I suppose that being ruled out totally for the season. Fingers crossed for Sam.

JFH has a thigh injury and is returning to full training tomorrow apparently so all going well he must have done his rehab for this injury and with a bit of luck will be good to go by Round 1. Must have been minor strain because the more serious quad injuries can mean weeks or even months out.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
On the assumption Merrin and JFH will be fit I believe Hook has locked in 16 of his 17.

1-13 looks quite clear now.

Latu JFH and Rein will be on the bench. 4th spot to either Leota, Akauola or Browne.

I'd personally go with Leota.

Since we have to name 21 next Tuesday I would have Akauola, Browne, Edwards and May as the extras. Covers most positions.

franklin2323

Immortal
On the assumption Merrin and JFH will be fit I believe Hook has locked in 16 of his 17.

1-13 looks quite clear now.

Latu JFH and Rein will be on the bench. 4th spot to either Leota, Akauola or Browne.

I'd personally go with Leota.

Since we have to name 21 next Tuesday I would have Akauola, Browne, Edwards and May as the extras. Covers most positions.

I agree that will be top 16. I think Akoula will get the start purely because he can play backrow too. Given Merrin and JFH haven't played a trial both will play limited minutes you would think.

Though on that. Do you name a squad? or do will list 1-13 as normal and just extra benchies?

I agree that will be top 16. I think Akoula will get the start purely because he can play backrow too. Given Merrin and JFH haven't played a trial both will play limited minutes you would think.

Though on that. Do you name a squad? or do will list 1-13 as normal and just extra benchies?

I haven't seen much of Rein yet, does he look good?

franklin2323

Immortal
I haven't seen much of Rein yet, does he look good?

I watched both trials. He almost pulled off a 40/20 v Bulldogs, Seemed ok with the ab lib footy we played at times on sat night. Decent enough service, Solid in defence.

Won't be a world beater but will do enough to make the Dragons fans cry which is good enough for me