What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eastwood signs with Canterbury Bankstown for 3 years :D

macavity

Referee
Well it's finally been confirmed that Eastwood has joined the Bulldogs on a 3 year deal. I hope and believe he will do a great job for you. Any idea of the transfer fee Leeds got and I assume we are not now getting a Bulldogs player in a swap deal? Any news of the Rhinos getting anybody else from the NRL?

The Knights released Ben Cross to Leeds to enable this deal to proceed.

So you got Eastwood (who we desperately could have used), Leeds got Cross...... and we got nothing.

I don't think you guys even paid a transfer fee, or if you did it wouldn't have been much - because they got Cross.

Last nice guys in rugby league - and you know what they say about nice guys.

Bulldog Force

Referee
The Knights released Ben Cross to Leeds to enable this deal to proceed.

So you got Eastwood (who we desperately could have used), Leeds got Cross...... and we got nothing.

I don't think you guys even paid a transfer fee, or if you did it wouldn't have been much - because they got Cross.

Last nice guys in rugby league - and you know what they say about nice guys.
There is no mention of that by Todd Greenberg via twitter:

Confirming we have completed the transfer paperwork with Leeds in the UK and can now confirm we have signed Greg Eastwood on a 3 year deal 11:59 PM Oct 7th via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Bulldog Force

Referee
So?

Where is Ben Cross now, champ?
That's not relevant. You're saying that because Leeds signed Cross, the deal with Eastwood was able to proceed which is not true. The Bulldogs needed to pay a transfer fee to get Eastwood. We negotiated the transfer fee and got to an agreement where both parties were happy, and the paper work was done. Ben Cross had no impact on Eastwood signing with the Dogs. With or without Cross, he was always going to leave Leeds and re-join us.

I can understand that you'd be upset because you lost Cross and we gained Eastwood, but it's not fair linking the our signing of Eastwood with Leeds signing of Cross, especially considering there's no source.

MatthewA

Juniors
Well said BF.

Cross was signed by Leeds as a replacement for Eastwood. That's it. It had nothing to do with our signing of Eastwood, the transfer fee or anything like that. Leeds needed a forward to replace the loss of Eastwood and they found one. End of story.

macavity

Referee
LOL

So the fact that Leeds teed up a replacement had no bearing on them releasing Eastwood to you?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Given you don't work for Canterbury or Leeds mac, I think you're speculating at best mate. I can see where you're coming from but it looks pretty far-fetched IMO

MatthewA

Juniors
LOL

So the fact that Leeds teed up a replacement had no bearing on them releasing Eastwood to you?
So who are you trying to blame here? Leeds? The Bulldogs? Look in your own backyard first. You have one of the worst CEO's in the game. Simply because you've lost a player to a club who needed to replace forward they recently released doesn't mean there's some huge conspiracy going on.

Timmah

Staff member
It's Greenberg actually mac, but thanks for the interest.

While I don't agree with the others that Burraston is a terrible CEO, I can't give credence to any claims that he's better than Todd. :lol:

Packy

Bench
No... I think he is on to something. It goes deeper than even he knows! The Broncos got Hannant, We got Eastwood, Leeds got Cross, Knights got Costigan, Dragons got ... ok Dragons got no one but I'll skip them and go right to teh Eels who got Webb.

So there we have it. Conclusive evidence that Parramatta are to blame and Jason Ryles should be suspended for 6 games.

Timmah

Staff member
No... I think he is on to something. It goes deeper than even he knows! The Broncos got Hannant, We got Eastwood, Leeds got Cross, Knights got Costigan, Dragons got ... ok Dragons got no one but I'll skip them and go right to teh Eels who got Webb.

So there we have it. Conclusive evidence that Parramatta are to blame and Jason Ryles should be suspended for 6 games.

Post of the off-season so far :lol: Love it :clap:

macavity

Referee
While I don't agree with the others that Burraston is a terrible CEO, I can't give credence to any claims that he's better than Todd. :lol:

Hardly apples with apples.

Greenberg is running a very well resourced club who can recruit pretty much whoever they want, and haven't had any scandals in his tenure.

Burro is running a club that had always toyed with insolvency on a weekly basis, couldn't recruit a priest to a boyscout convention and has been rocked with scandal after scandal completely out of his control. Add to that he has had some very well connected people waging a sinister undeclared war against him and the board.

In spite of that, we are in a better financial position than when he arrived, and have miraculously finished a credible mid-table for most of that time.

Not saying he hasn't done a good job but in comparison to Burro, Greenberg has had an absolute rails run.

Patting him on the back while bagging Burro is something only a complete ignoramus would do. Hi Matthew.:nwave:

Last edited:

MatthewA

Juniors
Burro is a tool. You only have to look at the relationship he has with the Jets and with the local political parties who all want him ousted.

Greenberg hasn't had to deal with any scandals why? Because he's a brilliant leader who commands and receives respect from his club. He deals with situations brilliantly and to imply he has pretty much had an easy job is ridiculous. He came in to a broken and battered club mid-way through 2008 which had lost $2 million worth of players, a tonne of sponsorship and was a club in the gutter.

He had to work damn hard to rebuild the Bulldogs. He has partnered up so well in Camp Quality, Movember as well as a host of other charities and parties. He has gained us millions in major sponsors such as Jaycard, Doltone House and Autobarn as well as having a major hand in the best recruitment in the game.

But you're right, he's had it easy.

Timmah

Staff member
Hardly apples with apples.

Greenberg is running a very well resourced club who can recruit pretty much whoever they want, and haven't had any scandals in his tenure.

No scandals? :? SBW leaving, betting scandal... neither were that big, were they? :lol: I'm not suggesting they're on the level with the drug stuff from last off-season but no scandal? Please.

Burro is running a club that had always toyed with insolvency on a weekly basis, couldn't recruit a priest to a boyscout convention and has been rocked with scandal after scandal completely out of his control. Add to that he has had some very well connected people waging a sinister undeclared war against him and the board.

In spite of that, we are in a better financial position than when he arrived, and have miraculously finished a credible mid-table for most of that time.

Not saying he hasn't done a good job but in comparison to Burro, Greenberg has had an absolute rails run.

Patting him on the back while bagging Burro is something only a complete ignoramus would do. Hi Matthew.:nwave:
I'll stand by the fact I'm not bagging Burro but I'm pretty sure since his tenure you've gone from regular top-eighters to "respectable mid-tablers"... on the field your club has lost its shine that had hung around since the Johns days...

Timmah

Staff member
Burro is a tool. You only have to look at the relationship he has with the Jets and with the local political parties who all want him ousted.

Sorry that's a laugh.

As much as they might want to be big time, Jets are still the "little brother". Newcastle always has been and always will be a rugby league town. Local political parties all want him ousted? A few belligerent comments from a former-newsreader-cum-state-MP who will either be shadow minister in 6 months or worse still unemployed... I'm sorry but that doesn't equal "the local political parties who all want him ousted".

macavity

Referee
btw I didn't at any time bag anyone associated with your club. infact if anything I was having a go at mine. The defensiveness is very telling.