What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy fix NRL expand and fire a shot at Union

legs 11

Juniors
The NRL old school and Sydney clubs wont buy in but it be the world cup is showing us....the islands are the way to go.

Lets get rid again of some Sydney clubs and bring in Tonga, Samoa, PNG and Fiji.
These countries are broke and get no support from the Rugby Union. Currently Union would be the dominate code in these islands. But what any easy fix. Give them a team and NRL entry and some NRL $$ and wow. The countries as a whole would have little loyalty to Union and if RL grabbed them it would be massive. I think we would even see many Polynesians give up an All Black dream to play NRL for their nation.
Split their games between NZ, their own country and maybe Australia.
Polynesian support would be massive and they are certainly providing us with a heap of players.
Their supporters is 100% of their community and they seem to be the most passionate.
But do we have forward thinkers running our game......

taipan

Referee
Let's just have 2 Sydney clubs ,and bugger the fans of the clubs relocated/lopped.AFL/ARU/A league would all give that idea their full support.
Yep sounds rational to me.

legs 11

Juniors
2 sydney clubs yep that'll do....whoever is the most financial and has the best following...the others can go down to nsw cup a la Newtown and North Sydney....then we'll see how many real supporters they have.....How many of all those disgruntled Bears supporter s go and watch their team today?
But then i'd like to see a promotion /relegation series up to NRL from NSW cup. Gota beat the NRL team to gain promotion.....give the fans whose teams dont make finals a bit of excitement.
He maybe i'm thinking a new super league altogether. QLD 1 and 2, NSW 1 and 2, NZ, PNG , Tonga, Fiji, Samoa....9 teams...maybe throw someone else in?

T-Boon

Coach
I would prefer to see Samoan and Tongan teams in the NZ national competition.
With the winner of that competition to play against the winner of B-league.

Morotti

Juniors
Who is going to fund these teams? Where will they get money?

Fiji can't even get enough money to fund a team in the NSW Cup.

Perth have spoken about needing $25m at the minimum for a new NRL team.

Baby steps.

Your proposal of 2 teams in Sydney is beyond ridiculous.

Each RLWC has been more competitive. 2008 was not so much. Then 2013 was better and 2017 is even more so.

For these teams I would suggest a 3-4 week window in the middle of the year. We could suspend all club games and play a representative period. It would include NSW, QLD, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG, anyone else that was interested. I also like the idea of NSW Country vs NSW City. They play three games in country areas.

They will use the money from this world cup to fund the Tier 2 nations for the next 4 years.

Always remember this. Rugby League's biggset country is Australia so it has to stay strong in Australia. Particularly for the short to medium term.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Rugby league need to becareful with how they bring in the international game. Afl clearly has a strong local game because there isnt any outside influence like internationals. Rugby has gone the other way and are neglecting the local game and promoting the international game. What is the ideal structure to get the best of both worlds?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Samoa and Tonga have populations similar to Ballarat, Bendigo and Toowoomba - so it makes no sense to do this.

PNG and Fiji (once they enter NSW Cup) have the ideal setup. Good amateur local leagues, a fully professional team in the Australian second teir for their best players and a regular shop window for the best of those players. Give them 10 to 15 years and they will have a professional pool of players in the NRL large enough to be consistent high performers at international level.

Morotti

Juniors
There has to be every year after the season proper an international tournament of some kind.
Next year nothing is happening and you cant do that.

If you reduce the number of nrl rounds then you could play a window of 3-4 weeks mid season of representative rounds.
And perhaps the players would be happy to always play internationals later in the year.

Although i think tito is correct, the best thing for theae pacific nations is to get involved in the nsw cup. And build a pathway to an nrl team that way. The likelihood of any of them getting an nrl team anytime soon is slim.

Teddyboy

First Grade
2 sydney clubs yep that'll do....whoever is the most financial and has the best following...the others can go down to nsw cup a la Newtown and North Sydney....then we'll see how many real supporters they have.....How many of all those disgruntled Bears supporter s go and watch their team today?
But then i'd like to see a promotion /relegation series up to NRL from NSW cup. Gota beat the NRL team to gain promotion.....give the fans whose teams dont make finals a bit of excitement.
He maybe i'm thinking a new super league altogether. QLD 1 and 2, NSW 1 and 2, NZ, PNG , Tonga, Fiji, Samoa....9 teams...maybe throw someone else in?
Maybe SOO with NSW/QLD/NZ/PNG/Tonga/Fiji and Samoa ?

Travitoh

First Grade
Maybe SOO with NSW/QLD/NZ/PNG/Tonga/Fiji and Samoa ?

I'd keep SOO seperate as it could have the opposite effect if state teams are defeating national teams on a consistent basis.
Breaking the season 3 times to play SOO at a weekend should help to give the opportunity to have more internationals involving NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG and a 6th nation. IRL is improving and the more that some of these island nations play, the better they should become.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'd keep SOO seperate as it could have the opposite effect if state teams are defeating national teams on a consistent basis.
Breaking the season 3 times to play SOO at a weekend should help to give the opportunity to have more internationals involving NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG and a 6th nation. IRL is improving and the more that some of these island nations play, the better they should become.

3 week rep window from the new TV deal onwards (2023) is the way forward for the game as a whole:

State of Origin
Pacific Cup (Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG - three week round-robin, no final)
NZ v England
Euro Cup
Other internationals as arranged by national federations

We've seen from the WC that Pacific Cup & NZ v England will rate just as well on TV as regular NRL games will plus the draw bigger crowds to stadiums and give the season a point of difference; inject a bit of passion and excitement into the lull that is the middle of the NRL season.

siv

First Grade
There is a lot if talk on what to do with the non Sydney / Qld markets

But I see it vitally imprtant to build the PNG Cup and NZ Cup into a standard that is on par with NSW and QLD Cups

Whats better for Fiji / Tonga / Samoa ? It depends on inter island travel costs

But I would rather see growth here into a Islands Cup with 8-12 teams

But for the Season structure

NRL 18 teams 25 rounds 8 team finals. GF on 1st weekend Oct plus a NRL-RG

14 team NSW and QLD Cup comps with NSW Cup to include missing NSW regions Riverina, Western, New England, Nth Coast. And NT Perth and Adelaide

All Australian NRL NSW Cup and QLD Cup teams to.play in a national U20 U18 U16 9 round tournament

At 1 or 2 international rep round fortnights

WCC 3rd Fri in Oct

6 week Internationals window late Oct and Nov

Marlins

Juniors
Perth team - West Coast Pirates NRL Side
West Coast Pirates Qcup Side.

Island team - South Pacific Orcas NRLside
8 Games Fiji, 2 Games Wellington, 2 Games Christchurch.
Fiji Nswcup Side,
Christchurch Nswcup side

King hit

Coach
The NRL old school and Sydney clubs wont buy in but it be the world cup is showing us....the islands are the way to go.

Yet the old school NRL gives the Broncos the best tv deals, constantly bails out the Titans, Melbourne are the champions or near champions every year and they bend over for Smith and Thurston. Sydney centric my arse.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth team - West Coast Pirates NRL Side
West Coast Pirates Qcup Side.

Island team - South Pacific Orcas NRLside
8 Games Fiji, 2 Games Wellington, 2 Games Christchurch.
Fiji Nswcup Side,
Christchurch Nswcup side

Playing 8n the nsw cup would be logistically easier for a perth side than Queensland. Shorter flights and most clubs in or near Sydney.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I say the same as i did for a PGN bid; focus on NSW/QLD Cup pathways for players and rep football for the fans...

Rep games can be scheduled irregularly, no one gets upset if a team doesnt show up one year (ensuring no complacency and lots of leniency for struggling teams) and players dont need to commit themselves to living there.

NRL is the big income for RL in the Pacific, so focus on making this profitable and secure. Rep football is for the little places that love the game but cant support an NRL team.

Stallion

First Grade

Lets get rid again of some Sydney clubs and bring in Tonga, Samoa, PNG and Fiji.
These countries are broke and get no support from the Rugby Union. Currently Union would be the dominate code in these islands. But what any easy fix. Give them a team and NRL entry and some NRL $$ and wow. The countries as a whole would have little loyalty to Union and if RL grabbed them it would be massive. I think we would even see many Polynesians give up an All Black dream to play NRL for their nation.
Split their games between NZ, their own country and maybe Australia.
Polynesian support would be massive and they are certainly providing us with a heap of players.
Their supporters is 100% of their community and they seem to be the most passionate.
But do we have forward thinkers running our game......

I like your positivity however ridding the league of established clubs is frought with danger ! I'd welcome the islander based teams as additional to current teams. No more blood letting of this marvelous code. Invite the new areas as welcomed additions. YES!

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Pac Islands is never happening... ever,,

I hear oh but it will be like the west indies cricket team blah blah...

Yeah that was the 70s and they had like 10 gun players..

how are they going now in WI.. now that it is a money game.. ?

Stallion

First Grade
Pac Islands is never happening... ever,,

I hear oh but it will be like the west indies cricket team blah blah...

Yeah that was the 70s and they had like 10 gun players..

how are they going now in WI.. now that it is a money game.. ?

The West Indies are actually producing some great T20 cricketers!?