What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach (Part Deux)

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
. TITANS assistant coach Steve Murphy has quit the club to sign a lucrative deal with Parramatta, capping a day of high drama at the Gold Coast.

Murphy delivered the news to coach John Cartwright that he was accepting a three-year $650,000 assistant coach contract to link with the Eels just hours after Titans boss Graham Annesley sacked seven employees, including two football development staff.

Murphy, who was an under-14 coach at the Eels in his younger years, was lured to the wooden-spooners by close friend and Parramatta's general manager of football Daniel Anderson.

He applied for the Eels position after the Gold Coast signed ex-Cowboys coach Neil Henry as an assistant to Cartwright.

Murphy has been with the Titans since their inception in 2007, forming a three-pronged coaching panel with Cartwright and Trevor Gillmeister, but he said his resignation was not related to the arrival of Henry.

''Neil's a very experienced coach but that's not why I sought anything else,'' he said. ''Carty was very assuring. He told me not to worry about my role changing.

''Of course it was difficult. I've been here from the start and thought I'd be here a long time.

''The reality was I had 12 months at the Titans and Parra were prepared to offer a couple of years.

''You've got to take opportunities when they arise and this one was too good to refuse. Titans fans might be happy because the last club I left was Tweed Heads in 2006 and they won the comp the next year.''

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur's manager, Gold Coast-based Chris Orr, brokered the deal with Murphy flying south to meet the Eels.

He will address the Titans squad on their first day of pre-season training on Monday before leaving the Gold Coast on Wednesday.

Cartwright said the Titans were reluctant to release Murphy from the final year of his contract.

''He sat down with me and went over the deal. It was too good to knock back,'' he said.

''He's got a young family and it was too good an opportunity.

''He's everything you need in a guy to work by your side and he's brilliant with what he does.

''I'll miss him. He knows what I'm thinking and he's got things done before I even ask for them. We've worked alongside each other for so long.''

Cartwright said Murphy wouldn't be replaced immediately but the club had plans to bolster its coaching unit.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/11/01/461000_gold-coast-titans.html

strider

Post Whore
how much do assistants normally get? $200K+ is good coin, but maybe its normal'ish???

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
how much do assistants normally get? $200K+ is good coin, but maybe its normal'ish???

Considering (well assuming what is in the papers in half correct ) head coaches get around $400-600 k unless they are special. So a AC getting around half of that seems reasonable.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
. Steve Murphy is the only member of the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coaching team not to have played in the NRL in fact Steve Murphy is a former Australian touch football representative, a sport well removed from the hard hitting sport of collision that is Rugby League.

On a daily basis Murphy works along side Coach John Cartwright, himself a Rugby League Premiership winner, State of Origin representative and Kangaroo tourist, Queensland State of Origin legend Trevor Gillmeister (Assistant Coach) and one time State of Origin representative and NRL premiership winner Scott Sattler in an assistant coaching capacity.

When he`s not taking drills with the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans or analysing opposition play and finding tactical weaknesses in the lead up to another crucial NRL encounter, you`ll find Steve Murphy at Palm Beach Currumbin High school where he is employed as a full time science and physical education teacher.

A caring family man, Steve is also a footy tragic and he`ll tell anyone who cares to listen that "Rugby League is the greatest game of all" he`s also been known to text team mates with a simple message " 3 days til kick off" or " not long now"

Steve says the biggest challenge has been juggling his teaching, the NRL and family life but says he would not give it up for anything.

"I go into the Titans office most mornings before school for a few hours to study tapes of the other teams and try give the boys an edge heading into the next game", he said. "I`m away with the squad most weekends, to be honest I don`t know how the family put up with me, but they know I love it and I make sure I am there and involved as much as I can be."

Steve`s wife Renee is a Queensland touch football representative and so both appreciates and understands her husband`s commitment and dedication.

There will be a big change in the Murphy household come November 1 this year as Steve takes a years leave of absence from teaching to take on the full-time position as Titans under-20s head coach, he`ll also maintain his assistant coaching duties with the senior side.

"Were all very excited about the under 20`s competition and I am looking forward to taking some of my own ideas along with what I have learnt from working alongside Carty (John Cartwright) and putting together what we feel will be a very exciting young Gold Coast team."

"He is a real man of integrity, what he says is what he feels and for him to give me the opportunity to work with him I jumped at the chance.``

"I`m also very aware that to build a successful football team we need happy and fulfilled players on the books and that means making sure that the balance between study and training is just right. We have the right people in place to make sure that they are fit, well and ready to go... it`s now up to me to prove myself in the coaching arena, but whatever happens one thing is for sure, I`ll give it my all and have a great time doing it.

http://m.titans.com.au/news-display/11168/Steve-Murphy-named-as-Titans-Under-20s-head-coach/page/7

Gronk

Staff member
When he`s not taking drills with the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans or analysing opposition play and finding tactical weaknesses in the lead up to another crucial NRL encounter, you`ll find Steve Murphy at Palm Beach Currumbin High school where he is employed as a full time science and physical education teacher.

I'm guessing that a $200k+ contract will allow him to work full time in footy now.

Great money given the lack of outside media pressure.

That said, you can be the best assistant going around, but if the head coach gets the arse, you'll likely lose your job (unless you get the job as top dog).

Eelementary

Post Whore
True. Ultimately we were beaten by a much better side on paper who just happened to be less consistent through the year.

But being better on paper, they were always more likely to perform better in any given game, especially the biggest game of the year.

Very true. The result of the 2001 Grand Final wasn't as much of an upset as some people would lead us to think.

spiderdan

Bench
Very true. The result of the 2001 Grand Final wasn't as much of an upset as some people would lead us to think.
depends how you look at it i guess.

andrew johns's injury late in the season was a blessing in disguise for newcastle. it gave the most dominant player in the league that year a few weeks to freshen up and come back pretty close to 100% on the eve of finals against a tired league. plus i think most of that knights team were pissed about the way fittler killed them in the gf qualifier the year before and weren't going to let 2001 get away from them (i thought back then that knights were the only team that could beat broncos in 2000).

2001 is one of the very few years i wished the nrl ran like english premier league soccer in its competition structure.

spiderdan

Bench
he`s also been known to text team mates with a simple message " 3 days til kick off" or " not long now"
not sure this is a good thing (or didn't seem to be when brian smith would text the players like he was a high school girl)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's not exactly chicken feed.

Sources close to <insert media organisation> say that the Titans offered significantly more than Parramatta but failed to retain their highly touted assistant coach. It has been rumoured that a fallout between Titans staff and management has caused Murphy to walk out on the club. The Titans are truly a club in crisis.

Or at least, they would be, if their fans bought more newspapers. :roll:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
2001 is one of the very few years i wished the nrl ran like english premier league soccer in its competition structure.

Well it does mate. Then they play a brand new competition called the NRL Finals.

The problem is that not enough credit is given to the best team all year (Minor Premiers) because they're overshadowed by the Grand Final winners (Premiers).

born an eel

Bench
Well it does mate. Then they play a brand new competition called the NRL Finals.

The problem is that not enough credit is given to the best team all year (Minor Premiers) because they're overshadowed by the Grand Final winners (Premiers).
there's more history in winning the J.J.Giltinan Shield than the sponsors cup

spiderdan

Bench

then if the nrl was run like esl there wouldn't be the new comp in the post season. you knew what i meant.