What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach (Part Deux)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Again...I reiterate my earlier comment @Bazal, the comments that have flowed suggest that a lot of people expect Kane Evans to be a world beater...

To suggest otherwise is being disingenuous...
Not a world beater, but a dynamic runner in the middle. We already have an NRL quality pack. So we don't need to buy a world beater. Just someone who adds something we're short on.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yeah.

I don't expect him to change his role much for us.

But he has size, speed, and line-breaking ability, which are all areas we are struggling in a bit at the moment.

He also is a good defender.

Imo, Evans would be better than Matagi or Terepo.

I agree..I think that's were he will be for us, at best a 30 minute player in the 4th to 6th middle forward areas. I dare say we're paying him probably more than Brown though.

Chipmunk

Coach
Not a world beater, but a dynamic runner in the middle. We already have an NRL quality pack. So we don't need to buy a world beater. Just someone who adds something we're short on.

I believe we need considerably more in the middle than we currently have. We need to rely on more than the draw to get us from a Top 4 team to a Premiership contender.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree..I think that's were he will be for us, at best a 30 minute player in the 4th to 6th middle forward areas. I dare say we're paying him probably more than Brown though.

Possibly.

But Evans has been around for a little while, played Finals, and played 9 Tests for Fiji, so I'd say he deserves decent coin.

I don't think he will be our go to guy, but he will help supplement a mobile, hard-working, but smallish, pack.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He is now 25, and yet in his time at the Roosters Napa, Liu, Tetevano and Takauhaho have all come and surpassed him...
Brown was behind a few forwards at his former club as well. Different styles suit different types of player and Arthur's has signed Evans because he fits - with his speed and footwork Evans can play off our halves like Brown, being turned back inside when the defence is cheating out wide. None of our other middle forwards do this well (besides Moeroa) and it's not a play the Roosters use - they don't usually hit the halves unless it's 'on'. Our halves handle the ball even when the defence is set.

Kornstar

Coach
Brown was behind a few forwards at his former club as well. Different styles suit different types of player and Arthur's has signed Evans because he fits - with his speed and footwork Evans can play off our halves like Brown, being turned back inside when the defence is cheating out wide. None of our other middle forwards do this well (besides Moeroa) and it's not a play the Roosters use - they don't usually hit the halves unless it's 'on'. Our halves handle the ball even when the defence is set.

Adam Blair was also Melbourne's premium forward and look how shit he has been since he left?

There's been others too who look like world beaters at the Storm and then just a normal player elsewhere.

Ultimately you either have faith in your coach or you don't. I personally have faith in BA and he managed to get back up players in crucial positions to perform well enough to get us to finish in the top 4. So if he wanted Evans i don't doubt he can get something out of him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I believe we need considerably more in the middle than we currently have. We need to rely on more than the draw to get us from a Top 4 team to a Premiership contender.
I don't. Every team has strengths and they play to them. Our attacking strengths rely on good decision making from our spine, and that will improve as they get more experience. The oldest blokes in our spine are King and Norman (both 27 next year) and the most experienced is Norman (147 games, including three finals). Fullback options French and Gutherson still haven't played finals footy, and only have 76 NRL games between them. Moses will hit 100 games mid next year while both King and Kritchard should hit 50.

This team is moving forward. Even without Radradra we'll be a better side next year, possibly a lot better. We have far too many players on the improve, and only Scott on the decline.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Adam Blair was also Melbourne's premium forward and look how shit he has been since he left?

There's been others too who look like world beaters at the Storm and then just a normal player elsewhere.

Ultimately you either have faith in your coach or you don't. I personally have faith in BA and he managed to get back up players in crucial positions to perform well enough to get us to finish in the top 4. So if he wanted Evans i don't doubt he can get something out of him.
Blair went from playing edge forward outside Cronk to playing in the middle. That will make anyone less impressive.