What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach (Part Deux)

oldmancraigy

Coach
Brown was behind a few forwards at his former club as well. Different styles suit different types of player and Arthur's has signed Evans because he fits - with his speed and footwork Evans can play off our halves like Brown, being turned back inside when the defence is cheating out wide. None of our other middle forwards do this well (besides Moeroa) and it's not a play the Roosters use - they don't usually hit the halves unless it's 'on'. Our halves handle the ball even when the defence is set.

It's because the Roosters halves are robotic and can't be trusted to read plays and improvise. Ours are the opposite, not saying Kane Evans is the ultimate answer, but I see him being a very useful addition.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I know; what I'm saying is that, had he persevered with him, I'm sure he would have become the type of player we need.

Obviously, Arthur disagrees.

Buy Lussick has all the tools there - and he had a pretty damn good 2017 imo.

Lussick is too soft in attack I think. He hits hard in defence because he can control the collision. He's also very inconsistent with his form. He was arguably in the best middle forwards in the second half of last season, he was averaging 170m and 25 tackles per game (not sure of the exact stats sorry Pou). He's always had the tools, he just doesn't want to use them

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Possibly.

But Evans has been around for a little while, played Finals, and played 9 Tests for Fiji, so I'd say he deserves decent coin.

I don't think he will be our go to guy, but he will help supplement a mobile, hard-working, but smallish, pack.

I think we'll use him more than we use our current middle forwards in the 20. Having him back on the inside with his offloading ability will trouble defences more than just a fast running Matagi will. Getting the defence to make more decisions inside the 20m, or at any part of the field, will mean that they make more mistakes in defence.

El Diablo

Post Whore
failure-is-not-an-option-you-bald-twat.jpg

Avenger

Immortal
Arthur has had a great year considering the squad that he had and the injuries sustained to our 2 starting fullbacks. He still however needs to toughen these merkins up. Think we have been piss weak in many games this season despite overachieving.
I think Mau is a good player but I'd offload him to get someone like Josh Jackson.
I f**king told you all.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well penny pinching only works for so long, you save on an assistant coach and you lose that money when no merkin wants to watch you play.

I'm glad i was at the pub with the volume down and completely pissed.

It's that sad i'm not even angry anymore, not even one f**k your eyes refs from my mouth tonight.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Whilst the buck stops with BA, none if you actually know the root of the problem unless you are in the inner sanctum.

BA has a top 4 side (refer 2017) and in 2018 his team are not producing the extra 1% efforts that are necessary to finish on top.

My view is that it is the 32 missed tackles, ruck penalties, poor kick chase, lack of cohesion in the halves, props not bending the line and edge fowards not creating opportunities that is the difference.

Who’s fault is this ?

Noise

Coach
Whilst the buck stops with BA, none if you actually know the root of the problem unless you are in the inner sanctum.

BA has a top 4 side (refer 2017) and in 2018 his team are not producing the extra 1% efforts that are necessary to finish on top.

My view is that it is the 32 missed tackles, ruck penalties, poor kick chase, lack of cohesion in the halves, props not bending the line and edge fowards not creating opportunities that is the difference.

Who’s fault is this ?

The players. Which could be a result of a poor off season and/or poor conditioning

IFR33K

Coach
I don’t understand last year we were travelling sweetly, why would they change the coaching staff/trainers.

You don’t loss ability in an off-season, there’s no way the players could of regressed so far so quickly.

We’ve been playing a tough brand of footy the previous two years. Looks like BA has gone a little stale with the players.

It wasn’t long ago Moses was carving up for both the eels and Lebanon.

If he wants to salvage the season I’d say he needs to bring help in ASAP.

Toovey, Hasler or maybe even Fitler. Otherwise BA can pack his bags.

Bazal

Post Whore
Should Arthur give Geoff Toovey an assistant's gig to help him out? We never replaced Gentle.

The problem with signing a reasonably successful head coach as an assistant is it destabilises the coaching staff, even if there is no actual aspirations from the assistant to take the head coaching job.

You don't reckon the media would be all over it? If an Eels player sneezes Kent will be reporting it negatively ffs...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t understand last year we were travelling sweetly, why would they change the coaching staff/trainers.

You don’t loss ability in an off-season, there’s no way the players could of regressed so far so quickly.

We’ve been playing a tough brand of footy the previous two years. Looks like BA has gone a little stale with the players.

It’s his job on the line. He should be entitled to control his own fate.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Mad Max has cut the budget

IFR33K

Coach
The problem with signing a reasonably successful head coach as an assistant is it destabilises the coaching staff, even if there is no actual aspirations from the assistant to take the head coaching job.

You don't reckon the media would be all over it? If an Eels player sneezes Kent will be reporting it negatively ffs...

Many no name assistants have taken over first grade teams when the head coach is sacked.

What’s the difference if the assistant has had previous success?

The head coach should do everything in his control, to get the best out of his players. That includes getting the best staff possible.

Bringing in a rookie or no name to control his fate is absurd.

Djay

Juniors

This is the thing that I cannot work out.

We looked like a genuine premiership threat last year, how has that disappeared in just 4-5 months?

Yes we have lost Semi, but to be travelling like we are something is seriously off.

From 16-17 we were slowly building a team that was defensively resilient, had a steely edge, was fit and hard to play against, and most of all knew how to win against all odds (E.g. Vs Manly in 2016 @ Brooky or Last year vs Broncos at home) now all of a sudden we look like we have gone about 5 years backwards.

Is it BA? Is it the players? Is something happening we don't know about? Something is off.

Not replacing Gentle though is starting to look like a silly move, why has he not been replaced.

IFR33K

Coach

We looked like a genuine premiership threat last year, how has that disappeared in just 4-5 months?

Yes we have lost Semi, but to be travelling like we are something is seriously off.

From 16-17 we were slowly building a team that was defensively resilient, had a steely edge, was fit and hard to play against, and most of all knew how to win against all odds (E.g. Vs Manly in 2016 @ Brooky or Last year vs Broncos at home) now all of a sudden we look like we have gone about 5 years backwards.

Is it BA? Is it the players? Is something happening we don't know about? Something is off.

Not replacing Gentle though is starting to look like a silly move, why has he not been replaced.

Hayne?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Many no name assistants have taken over first grade teams when the head coach is sacked.

What’s the difference if the assistant has had previous success?

The head coach should do everything in his control, to get the best out of his players. That includes getting the best staff possible.

Bringing in a rookie or no name to control his fate is absurd.
If we couldn’t afford to keep Gentle how could we afford a premiership winner?

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Or have a head of football, but at least we are saving some money for who knows what reason.

Latest posts