What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Gronk

Staff member
ONE TO WATCH — INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP NSW

01880e10b1cc01ca2061975f3c1d2a64

Dane Aukafolau doing a time trial run from Soldiers Beach to Norah Head Lighthouse/Source: News Corp Australia

Eels centre Dane Aukafolau.

A Cabramatta junior, Aukafolau was a surprise packet from the pre-season and in the frame to push into the NRL side should injuries hit the team later in the year.

Tipping the scales at 95 kilos, Aukafolau turns 20 in April and will split his season between NYC and Intrust.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...n/news-story/8294c5391d961273aaefcbf4542a39fd

Gronk

Staff member
Jess Higgins looking forward to charity event at Kendall

22 Mar 2017, 3:30 p.m.
r0_0_720_960_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TEAMWORK: Jess and Dale Higgins at Jess' final round of chemotherapy in Port Macquarie.

Kendall’s Jess Higgins has plenty to look forward to, which is driving her fight against a rare and aggressive breast cancer.

Long term, of course, there is a long and healthy future with her husband Dale and two children Skylah and Logan. In the immediate term Jess and her family are looking forward to a fundraising event Saturday, March 25 at the Kendall Services and Citizen’s Club at 2pm.

“We have been absolutely overwhelmed by how far Jess’ story has reached and the support coming in from the community and from afar too,” said Jess’ mother Julie Gale.

The community event in Kendall on Saturday is to raise funds to help with the ongoing medical and financial burden facing the Higgins family as well as donate to a cause to help other young women with breast cancer.

Funds will be raised via raffles and auctions. Up for grabs are plenty of vouchers for beauty services and a $1,000 voucher for bobcat services.

Two holiday packages can also be won along with plenty of rugby league memorabilia and much more.

“The Men of League have been a great support in fact former Parramatta Eels legend Neville Glover will be our auctioneer,” Julie said.

“While the event recognises Jess, breast cancer and women’s health, men have been more than catered for in the list of donated items to be raffled and auctioned – you could have the best ‘man cave’ in the street if you come along and bid.”

Apart from the auctions and raffles, Julie said there will be plenty of fun activities for children and families to enjoy.

http://www.portnews.com.au/story/4544208/support-for-jess-overwhelming/

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta Eels' Nathan Brown has no regrets about turning back on cricket career

Standing 22 yards away on a synthetic training pitch – often less – from Pat Cummins with just a blade of willow and a bit of protective equipment was what Nathan Brown quit rugby league for. At least temporarily.

But how fun is that when you can charge headlong into opposition forwards and dish out your own punishment as aggressor rather than be the one in the firing line of one of the quickest bowlers on the planet?
1490936549324.jpg

It's not cricket: Nathan Brown. Photo: Getty Images
"I just woke up one day and thought, 'cricket wasn't for me'," said Eels prop Brown, once an accomplished junior cricketer who wanted to put his eggs in the red-ball rather than oval-ball basket.

"I just didn't like it anymore and had grown up with it since I was five. I had just had enough of it to be honest.

"I missed the physical side [of rugby league] and just getting involved. In cricket if you get out for a duck or someone runs you out you just wait there ... it just wasn't for me. With footy you just get amongst it. I love that type of footy."

Which is about as far removed from being teammates – and training pitch target practice – for Australia's Test spearhead Pat Cummins than you could find.

It might seem hard to believe but Brown was a NSW under-17s representative, a team which was also captained by Blues gun Kurtis Patterson.

Rocketing through the ranks to earn a NSW contract was the goal rather than pursuing a rugby league career which was on the backburner.

"I was s----ing myself [facing Cummins] to be honest," Brown joked. "They tend to bowl over the line in training and on the synthos [synthetic wickets] it was horrible."

The transformation from Brown as a left-handed opening batsman and gentle off-break bowler to one of the angriest forwards – "a little Beau Scott" as teammate Manu Ma'u laughs – in the NRL is a cross-code story you rarely hear the like of in rugby league.

Morphing from a skinny 80kg kid who drifted away from the 13-man code to now tip the scales at 107kg, Brown hailed from the same Western Suburbs club which produced Michael Clarke, Mitchell Starc and Phillip Hughes.

He plays down he only would have been "an average cricketer", but his state under-age ability belies that.

The beneficiary in the end might be Brad Arthur's Eels, which are Brown's third NRL club after stints with the Tigers and Rabbitohs.

And it's come with its share of knockers, most notably when he was labelled the biggest "thug" in the NRL for a stomping act on Titans forward Agnatius Paasi last year. He didn't care. And Arthur now turns the screws on his recruit's discipline.

"Those stupid penalties can really hurt your team," Brown said. "That's something I've been working on ... my discipline around the ruck especially.

"If I get that right I don't hurt my teammates which is the main thing. It's probably a bit of frustration, a bit too much energy. There's a fine line and you've just got to find it I guess because it can hurt your team."

The Eels, on the spin after back-to-back losses, will travel to Canberra to face the biggest forward pack in the NRL with one of the smallest front-rowers going around in the thick of things at GIO Stadium on Saturday. Think he'll worry?

"Seriously, he's a tough player and I love playing alongside him," Ma'u said. "I tried to put a shoulder on him [during the week] and he just got up and started laughing."

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...g-back-on-cricket-career-20170331-gvauh2.html

Gronk

Staff member
Report Card after 5 rounds

EELS
HOW THEY FARED

It is becoming the familiar post-match analysis for Brad Arthur. The Eels at their best can compete with the best.

But they can’t do it for 60 minutes and expect to match teams like Canberra. That was the story again on Saturday when they went from 6-all to trailing 22-6 at halftime on the back of three Raiders tries in seven minutes.

To their credit, the Eels fought back in the second half on a swing in possession.

Tries to Michael Jennings (47th minute) and Kaysa Pritchard (52nd minute) reduced to margin to four points, before teenage sensation Nick Cotric capitalised on another defensive lapse in the 69th minute to end any hope of a Parramatta comeback.

WHO STARRED, WHO STRUGGLED?

Semi Radradra scored four tries against St George Illawarra in round two, but hasn’t crossed since.

In that game against the Dragons, Semi went hunting the ball on both sides of the field and left a trail of destruction in his wake. So where did that go?

Against the Raiders, Radradra’s energy levels were no match for what Jordan Rapana and young Cotric produced.

Radradra ran for 117m, and made two tackle busts. In comparison, Rapana ran for 166m, made eight tackle busts, and also came up with a try assist. Cotric ran for 147m, had 10 tackle busts and scored the match-clinching try.

dd651a6ae3d02b097df18d9f408d2737

Semi Radradra wasn’t at his best for the Eels.
INJURY WARD

John Folau (Wrist, Round 6), Matt Woods (Shoulder, Round 8), Greg Leleisiuao (ACL, Round 12), Will Smith (Knee, Round 6), Isaac De Gois (Concussion, Indefinite), Kenny Edwards (Disciplinary, Round 8), Tepai Moeroa (Back, Indefinite).

WHO’S LURKING ON THE EDGE?

George Jennings starred for Wentworthville in their loss to Mounties, scoring two tries to nearly snatch victory for the Magpies. Jennings has struggled with injury since making his NRL debut in 2015 but could be in the frame for an NRL return over the Origin period if his older brother Michael earns selection for New South Wales.

REPORT CARD

C-: Arthur summed it up perfectly when he said the Eels had only themselves to blame for turning over too much possession and not showing enough urgency at crucial moments.

While in the end it was 54-46 per cent possession split to Canberra, for most of the first half it was more like a 70-30 in the Raiders’ favour. Ultimately, Parramatta were forced to defend an extra 50 tackles.

After three straight defeats to Gold Coast, Cronulla and Canberra, Kieran Foran’s return clash against the club he walked out on last year couldn’t come soon enough.

It surely has to be enough motivation to get the Eels up for next Sunday’s clash against the Warriors in Auckland.

— Paul Crawley

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...5/news-story/631604cc1bcd17da98c896d8401f3e79

strider

Post Whore
You could just about convince yourself the whole PARRA 47 thing is just part of the celebrations

Gronk

Staff member
Nathan Hindmarsh on his time at Parramatta and the impact of the club’s glory days
NATHAN Hindmarsh has a confession to make.

He may be one of Parramatta’s greatest forwards, but Hindmarsh wasn’t an Eels supporter growing up in the NSW town of Bowral.

“I was a Bulldogs fan,” Hindmarsh says, smiling.

“So I really didn’t like the Sterlings and the Cronins, but I knew who they were.

“Peter Sterling was probably one of the first rugby league players I ever remembered growing up as a kid.

“Also watching Eric Grothe Senior play and Mick Cronin, of course.

84ea5a3097ee60d8942d6f37b8525282

The Eels won the last of their three premierships in 1986.Source: News Corp Australia
“They are names that when you mention Parramatta Eels, they are the first names you think about.

“Well that was definitely the case in my generation anyway.”

Fuelled by his fanatical following of rugby league in the 1980s, Hindmarsh turned up to the Eels as a fresh-faced rookie in 1997 fully aware of the club’s rich history.

He’d witnessed Sterling, Kenny and co steer the Blue and Golds to four premierships in a golden era for the franchise.

It was a memorable period that not only inspired Hindmarsh to play for Parramatta, but create his own history in the famous Eels jumper.

“The first thing everyone talks about, no matter what age, was those glory days of the 80s,” he says.

“The Eels and the legacy that they left there.

“I’m not being disrespectful to those who went before them, but the 80s grand finals are the things that set the club up to where it is today I believe.

62d2f61d7bbf7fedbe9d69f413dc619a

Hindmarsh made his NRL debut with Parramatta in 1998.Source: Supplied
“Others may disagree, but you travel to Brisbane, New Zealand and all those other places to play rugby league and there is always an Eels jersey.

“I really think that has a lot to do with what happened in the 80s.”

Hindmarsh says the initial hype of playing for a revered club like Parramatta lived with him for seasons.

In fact, he still gets chills down his spine at the thought of representing the proud Western Sydney club.

“That does take a while to wear off you,” he said.

9d444935a4ce09c09a628bb9e341709b

Hindmarsh was one of the most beloved players in Eels history.Source: News Limited
“You are an 18 year-old that comes from a small country town and then all of a sudden you are playing in the NRL for the Parramatta Eels.

“It did take a few years for that excitement to drop away a bit.

“But then you sit back and understand what the club was built on, who was part of the beginning of Parramatta — it’s a good story and something I’m proud to be a part of.”

After debuting with Parramatta in 1998, Hindmarsh went on to play 330 first grade games for the club.

The affable back-rower achieved plenty during his time at the Eels, including Origin and Test representation, but there is one moment he holds particularly close to his heart.

“One of the biggest highlights for me was wearing the Eels jersey as captain for the first time,” he reflects.

“It was over in New Zealand and we beat the Warriors (in 2011). That was a proud moment for me.

6db78a4967863f8b3310c1a263a506fd

The backrower holds the record for most appearances for the Eels.Source: News Limited
“It was late in my career because of Nathan Cayless, who led the team for such a long time.

“Nath was one of the best leaders I’ve seen at the club.”

Hindmarsh may have hung up the boots, but he’ll never forget his 15 seasons at Parramatta.

“It was an honour to be associated with such a proud club with a lot of tradition,” he said.

“Now that I’ve retired, being a part of that organisation, group of players and the family that we call the Parramatta Eels — it was definitely a privilege to be a part of it.

“70 years on and all those players there now, they can say I’m part of one of the great clubs in the NRL.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/sport/n...s/news-story/b0d57434dbb0725f6083b41f1a7a59e5

strider

Post Whore
So apparently they have (as they put it), NRL cleanskin Corey Norman, on the professors second year syndrome tonight after the footy

They have laid a fair amount of shit on him

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that they'll make some fairly crude jokes about eggs, Chinese and Canadian Club, and Corey will laugh a lot.

Latest posts