What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Eelementary

Post Whore
Kenny is a lunatic.

Lol

I love the bloke.

Incidentally, I'm a big fan of Taka's, too - I know he's been down on form, but I thought he was more than solid yesterday, and I'm glad to see him getting some form back.

Taka offers us versatility, and something a little different.

forward pass

Coach
Lol

I love the bloke.

Incidentally, I'm a big fan of Taka's, too - I know he's been down on form, but I thought he was more than solid yesterday, and I'm glad to see him getting some form back.

Taka offers us versatility, and something a little different.

Taka does not have a great kicking game - but I have to say whenever he has put a kick through for a teammate to chase - they have been near perfect. I have seen him do this a few times and he is very adept at this skill.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Taka does not have a great kicking game - but I have to say whenever he has put a kick through for a teammate to chase - they have been near perfect. I have seen him do this a few times and he is very adept at this skill.

I agree.

He has a pretty good grubber on him.

Plus, he's a big bloke, and his running and passing games are pretty dangerous.

I'm a big fan of his, even though I know he's been down on form.

Gronk

Staff member
What could have been: The Albert Kelly Story
By Daniel LangApril 20, 2017

Fresh on the back of news that Albert Kelly has extended his deal with Hull FC of the English Super League until the end of 2018 season, it is worth looking at the player Albert Kelly is, was and could have become.
Before extending his deal with the UK club, Kelly had been put forward as an option at halfback for a number of Australian clubs and a return to the shores on which he was born and raised looked very possible. The new deal keeps him England-based for at least another season, but is that the highest peaks this dynamic, once hotly-chased talent can expect?

A rugby league prodigy
Born in the hotbed of rugby league talent Macksville on the far north coast of New South Wales, Kelly grew up in scenic Kempsey where he made his first tentative steps in to the game as a precocious kid at the Smithtown Tigers. He would try his hand with a few other clubs in the area before moving to Sydney to link with famous rugby league school Patrician Brothers’ College in Blacktown, smack bang in the middle of rugby league heartland and perfectly wedged between the two giants of western Sydney rugby league, the Penrith Panthers and the Parramatta Eels.

It would be the latter who snatched up a young Kelly when he signed a four-year deal in 2008 after rejecting overtures from a number of clubs, including the cashed-up Sydney Roosters and the young star quickly made his mark, notching 11 tries in 23 games in the National Youth League for the Eels and earning a call up for the New South Wales Under 18 squad in the process.

By 2010, the Sharks had come knocking and Kelly made the switch to the shire where he would eventually make his NRL debut during the 2010 season. He would play in the club’s 2010 season opener against the Storm, but injury would restrict him to just five appearances over the course of the season, a disappointing stall for a rising talent.

2011 offered little in the way of respite after breaking his leg in a round seven clash with the Cowboys, though he ended the season with a couple of appearances back in the top flight raising hope levels once again.

Short-term lifelines
From there though, things quickly spiralled for Kelly who was sacked by the Sharks after falling foul of head coach Shane Flanaghan before linking with a park footy team in Newcastle and training with the Knights while being mentored by Newcastle coach Wayne Bennett. Still though, things would get worse after signing a contract to play reserve grade football in Newcastle, Kelly had his contract terminated after pleading guilty to damaging property in famous Newcastle nightclub Fanny’s.

Kelly was handed yet another lifeline when he took a trial opportunity on the Gold Coast from the Titans where he would eventually earn some time back at the top table, playing 21 times for the club in 2013 and a further 12 appearances in 2014. This run too, would come crashing down when Kelly become embroiled in the Cronulla Sharks battle with ASADA for a suspect supplements program.

Kelly would become one of the players to accept reduced bans from ASADA for their involvement with controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank.

ASADA strikes
With the ASADA controversy claiming him as a victim, along with many other high profile players like Paul Gallen, Wade Graham, Nathan Gardner, Anthony Tupou and Kade Snowden, Kelly was once again turfed out by the Titans before snatching a lifeline, yet again, this time with English outfit Hull Kingston Rovers, along with fellow Aussie Maurice Blair with the pair replacing Travis Burns and Kris Keating as the club’s overseas players.

Kelly would soon be named the club’s player of the year and become an integral part of the Hull outfit and reigniting talk about his undoubted potential and a return to NRL circles which has since been, at least temporarily staved off by the contract extension announced this week.

Hull coach Lee Radford said in the club’s statement that he was “happy with Albert’s contribution to the club since he came in. He’s settled in really well on and off the field and he provides us with that bit of offensive x-factor.”

The move also puts to bed any lingering concerns after Kelly and the club’s management butted heads after the player was dropped for disciplinary reasons after arriving back late from a compassionate leave of absence where he returned to Australia, leaving the player unavailable for selection as his side suffered relegation.

Moving forward
Moving forward, it would appear that Albert Kelly holds a significant role in the club’s plans and rightly so given his undoubted talent and the fact that he, in theory at least, should be approaching maturity and the prime of his career.

At 26-years-of-age, Kelly has had his fair share of trials and tribulations, often brought on by himself and his own actions, and has shown, almost consistently a lack of maturity and growth away from the football field but, should he use his time in Hull to sort himself out emotionally and on a personal level, a return to the NRL could be on the cards for the dynamic half though he could easily flourish long-term in the northern hemisphere as well.

https://realsport101.com/news/sports/rugby/what-could-have-been-the-albert-kelly-story

IFR33K

Coach
Looks as thou he's filled out a bit. Maybe he received some sound advice from Gallen while at the Sharks.

Gronk

Staff member
Brown thanks Eels pre-season for strength
3:59 AM AEST

All Parramatta forward Nathan Brown needed to fulfil his NRL potential was an injury-free pre-season.

After the early year of his career were plagued by injuries, last year's NSW City representative enjoyed a full pre-season in his first summer at Parramatta, and he is reaping the rewards.

The former Souths and Wests Tigers prop has upped his minutes on the field since signing a two-year deal with the Eels last September, and says he has enjoyed working closely with coach Brad Arthur.

"BA has given me a good opportunity, so it has been good personally," Brown said on Tuesday ahead of Friday's clash with the Cowboys in Townsville.

Brown always had the potential, but a controversial past has plagued the start of his NRL career.

He tested the NRL's no punching rule just a week into its existence in 2013 as one of the main protagonists in one of the biggest brawls in the competition's history.

Then last year he was lucky to escape suspension after an apparent stomp on the Gold Coast's Agnatius Paasi's groin.

However, he said Arthur had worked with him in controlling his agression.

"He has definitely helped me with a bit of discipline," Brown said.

"He has been really good for me and he is really good to work with."

Brown said undergoing his first full pre-season has helped his form, adding he has tried to be a frontrunner among his fellow forwards.

"I try to be a leader of the forward pack," the 24-year-old said.

"These last two weeks our forward pack has been going pretty good; they lead the platform for the backs."

Brown, who has played 37 NRL games including all eight for the Eels in 2017, has scored one try this season but has had more minutes than in any other season as he has also helped with hooking role.

Second-rower Beau Scott also said he has been impressed by Brown - who has averaged a career-high 111 metres per match this season.

"Obviously he has been thrown in to a couple of roles so far and he is playing long minutes so he has definitely been one of the consistent players in our team," Scott said.

"I think he is just a footballer. He puts his body on the line, week in and week out."

http://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/19241011/brown-thanks-eels-pre-season-strength

parra pete

Referee
Brown thanks Eels pre-season for strength
3:59 AM AEST

All Parramatta forward Nathan Brown needed to fulfil his NRL potential was an injury-free pre-season.

After the early year of his career were plagued by injuries, last year's NSW City representative enjoyed a full pre-season in his first summer at Parramatta, and he is reaping the rewards.

The former Souths and Wests Tigers prop has upped his minutes on the field since signing a two-year deal with the Eels last September, and says he has enjoyed working closely with coach Brad Arthur.

"BA has given me a good opportunity, so it has been good personally," Brown said on Tuesday ahead of Friday's clash with the Cowboys in Townsville.

Brown always had the potential, but a controversial past has plagued the start of his NRL career.

He tested the NRL's no punching rule just a week into its existence in 2013 as one of the main protagonists in one of the biggest brawls in the competition's history.

Then last year he was lucky to escape suspension after an apparent stomp on the Gold Coast's Agnatius Paasi's groin.

However, he said Arthur had worked with him in controlling his agression.

"He has definitely helped me with a bit of discipline," Brown said.

"He has been really good for me and he is really good to work with."

Brown said undergoing his first full pre-season has helped his form, adding he has tried to be a frontrunner among his fellow forwards.

"I try to be a leader of the forward pack," the 24-year-old said.

"These last two weeks our forward pack has been going pretty good; they lead the platform for the backs."

Brown, who has played 37 NRL games including all eight for the Eels in 2017, has scored one try this season but has had more minutes than in any other season as he has also helped with hooking role.

Second-rower Beau Scott also said he has been impressed by Brown - who has averaged a career-high 111 metres per match this season.

"Obviously he has been thrown in to a couple of roles so far and he is playing long minutes so he has definitely been one of the consistent players in our team," Scott said.

"I think he is just a footballer. He puts his body on the line, week in and week out."

http://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/19241011/brown-thanks-eels-pre-season-strength

Good story on a very good player. Bloke has certainly surprised me with his play....Better than I thought he was...I had him as a 'dickhead'. judging by the way he carried on for Souths...Pleased to be able to eat humble pie..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Brown has been a great value buy, he has shown he is skilful with a big motor and an even bigger ticker. Even better when you realise Souths were happy to lose him for the Penis Fingered Burgi twins.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Good story on a very good player. Bloke has certainly surprised me with his play....Better than I thought he was...I had him as a 'dickhead'. judging by the way he carried on for Souths...Pleased to be able to eat humble pie..
Better hand me a slice as well. I was also sceptical when it was announced that he was coming here.