What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

84 Baby

Referee
Does anyone else find it unusual that Edwards and Vave are wearing different coloured boots? Just putting that out there

Does anyone else find it unusual that Edwards and Vave are wearing different coloured boots? Just putting that out there
The ancient Greeks used the colour orange to identify those who had brought shame on their community. Yellow and white however was used to signify the longing for an Ultimate Double Whopper with Angry onions.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Tony Williams looking to return to best in Parramatta Eels homecoming

Tony Williams, in the decade he has been away from Parramatta, has often pondered a return.

"I'm blessed to be able to come back home to where it all started," Williams said.

1511570764234.jpg

"I always thought when I was done at Manly it was either the Bulldogs or Parra. That was six or seven years ago. At the time it was a family decision to go to the Bulldogs.

"I wanted to come back at that time and I always had a feeling I'd come back to where it all started.
1511570764234.jpg

"I've always lived here, even when I was at the Sharks. I'm pretty blessed not to move. It would have been hard if I had to go to the UK or anywhere I may have needed to go."

Williams began his NRL career as a winger on the end of the Eels back line in 2008. It was a role he quickly outgrew. He soon shifted to the forwards and then to arch-rivals Manly, earning the moniker "T-Rex" because of his size and the destruction he left in his wake.

The 120-kilogram, 193-centimetre forward played his best football at the Sea Eagles, collecting a premiership and representative jerseys for NSW, Australia and Tonga.

We have seen only glimpses of his best since. Williams followed Des Hasler to Canterbury but hasn't consistently reproduced his best form due to injury. He tore his pectoral in 2015, spent time in reserve grade the following season and his Sharks stint was limited to just one match due to a season-ending knee injury.

1511570764234.jpg

However, the 28-year-old believes he is capable of again becoming one of the game's more damaging forwards and even returning to the representative arena.

"I feel like I've played forever, but I'm only 28," he said. "I reckon I've got three or four – maybe more – years in me. If I could just get myself right with injuries, touch wood, there's no reason why I can't get back to that form.

"I want to get back that flair I had a few years back, obviously play first grade as much as I can and be in the 17 every week, that's the goal. If I'm in that 17 I'll get a chance to show if I'm good enough to play rep footy again."

Williams has been restricted to light duties on his return to the blue and golds as he continues his knee rehabilitation. The goal is to be available for one pre-season trial in a quest to push for selection for the season opener against Penrith.

"Really I've only played 30 games in three years, which isn't good," he said.

"It was frustrating, not playing footy and not being able to show what I have. That's why I want this chance to get back to the form that got me into rep footy."

Fairfax Media revealed earlier this month that Williams and another maligned former Eel, Jarryd Hayne, were poised to return to their roots. The pair are childhood friends, having both attended Westfield Sports High School and grown up in the same area. While no official announcement has been made about Hayne's future, Williams welcomes the prospect of a reunion.

"We've done a lot together and grown up together, along with Timmy [Mannah] and Michael Jennings," Williams said.

"I'm not too sure what's going on, but if he [Hayne] was to come to Parra – I know he has copped a lot of criticism – after being in Fiji camp, he will come back a changed man. He will be good for the team if he was to come.

"It would be a big plus for us."

Williams is thankful for the lifeline Parramatta coach Brad Arthur has offered. While their paths have never crossed – Williams left Manly just as Arthur arrived as an assistant to Geoff Toovey – the mentor has made an immediate impression upon his return to the west.

"I heard things from past players like [Anthony] Watmough, they have spoken about how he goes about his coaching," Williams said.

"He's a real family man, he's very straight to the point and doesn't beat around the bush. I like that in a coach.

"I've been under Des [Hasler] for a long time and that's what I expect. Des did a lot for me in my career. BA has got a similar role as a mentor and I'm looking forward to it next year.

"The last three weeks of pre-season, he's been awesome."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rramatta-eels-homecoming-20171124-gzsqdl.html

I really think we should get Ed Stafford to oversee our preseason. Then they could honestly say that thing they always say. Those that survive anyway.

Suitman

Post Whore
On Fox 502 atm, they are showing Iconic Grand Finals.
Currently showing 1983 vs Manly.
Next up is 1984 vs Bulldogs.

Latest posts