What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I watched Eels kick some Dragon arse on Wed night, from earlier this year.

God it was good to see the Guth, French and Semi on the park, cant wait for this season with a fit French and the bus.

Really want to see Semi back, fingers crossed.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
24231888_1996666940613328_2055867171011100060_n.jpg

T.S Quint

Coach
Will Smith's bid for Eels' super-sub role

Fri, Dec 08, 2017 - 12:04PM
By ‌Michael Chammas‌‌, ‌NRL.com
@MichaelChammas

Will Smith was the shining light in Parramatta's disappointing end to 2017 and is now making a strong case to start the new season in the Eels' No.14 jersey.

With Bevan French and Clint Gutherson coming back from injury, and Jarryd Hayne returning to the club, Eels coach Brad Arthur wants to find a spot in his 17 for the versatile Smith.

While he is refusing to rule out a spot in the starting side, NRL.com understands that opportunity is likely to come on the bench in a decision that will leave Kaysa Pritchard and Cameron King in a two-way battle for the starting hooker role.

"Will was outstanding for us last year," Arthur told NRL.com.

"He's always leading the way at training and showed just how versatile he can be. I'm comfortable with him as a starting player but he's also a genuine option for us as our utility on the bench.

"We'll get to have a good look at him over the next couple of months but he is doing all the right things."

Smith, who has been impressive for the Eels throughout a gruelling preseason, admits he will put a focus on working on his No.9 duties and believes he will be better in the role having had a taste of it in 2017.

"I think I can be better because of last year playing those couple of games at dummy-half," Smith said.

"It got exciting playing there, especially once the bigger guys got a bit tired and I did a bit of running out of there."

Smith's attitude towards the game and training is one of the reasons he is held in such high regard by the Blue & Gold coaching staff.

He joined the club after suffering horrific knee damage during his time at the Panthers, tearing his ACL, medial ligament and meniscus in an injury that left rival clubs doubting he would run again.

"I blew it all out," Smith said during Parramatta's pre-season camp in Alice Springs.

"It was pretty bad. It was pretty scary actually when I first done it. I got up and jogged it off. I got a phone call a couple of days later to say that I had done it.

"I finished up with Penrith at the end of that year. I was exploring my options after that.

"There were a couple of clubs that said to my manager he's not going to run again or probably play at that level again. I had that in the back of my mind when I signed with Parramatta. I just tried to work as hard as a I could to sort of doubt those people and push myself."

And he has certainly proved those doubters wrong. Smith said he was running faster now than before his injury turmoil.

Arthur met Smith about the prospect of joining the Eels before the heartbreaking injury interrupted his career.

"I met with BA before I done my knee, so there was interest in BA before I done my knee," Smith said.

"I had a lot of doubts. You're just waiting for it to come good or [wondering] is it going to be like this for the rest? Do you have to call it quits or what? There were a couple of other clubs that sort of lost interest but BA seen me before I got my injury.

"That's why I'm trying to pay him back now. That's why I'm trying to work as hard as I can now to repay that faith he showed in signing me first and then also keeping me there for the finals series at the end of the year."

https://m.nrl.com/will-smiths-bid-for-eels-super-sub-role/tabid/10874/newsid/116793/default.aspx

T.S Quint

Coach
He seems to be the forgotten man when it comes to team lists for next season. Could he actually be in the top 17 come round 1?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon he could be. Like the article says, he certainly has more utility value than King or Pritchard. And those two haven't yet proven they are effective over 80 minutes. The only hooker who missed more tackles than King was Koroisau, and Pritchard was fourth after Mitch Rein.

Gazzamatta

Coach
A tricky one. If JH plays center as expected then Taka moves to the bench. Cant see Smith and Taka riding the pine pony.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Takairangi could start with Moeroa moving to the bench as a full time middle forward.
A fair option Poo although Teps looks a tad leaner which I suspect may see him spend longer minutes on the edge. Possibly the rise of MM and his connection with Teps may be another determining factor for him to become a weapon on the edge.
Its all very exciting.