What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap Mk V

ash411

Bench
I dont think Todd gives a f**k about us one way or the other ... i think Todd is too busy promoting his own image to give a f**k
You know what, even if that's the case it can still work out for us.

Think of it this way:
He graciously takes the reigns of the embattled club, fixes it up and turns it into a premiership threat and "Powerhouse" (whatever the f*ck that means).

So, when we look good, he looks good. so even if he's just all about the Todd, making us a success makes him look good.

and in the end we're a success, which is awesome. Who cares if he did it because he loves the club or because he wanted to look like a hero, the end result is the same.

I dont think Todd gives a f**k about us one way or the other ... i think Todd is too busy promoting his own image to give a f**k
Yep. His only motivation for seeing us do well would be that there would be slightly more money in the game. But he's not going to do the things we need for sustained success, which is dodgy tpas. And he's a merkin.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I agree and for this reason he wont do much for his image if Parra become also rans. Even his media mates will find a way of blaming him.

Gronk

Staff member
No niceties as Todd Greenberg takes apart Eels salary cap defence

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg finished the letter with the obligatory “yours sincerely” but there was no niceties in the previous 35 pages as he delivered a damning critique of the Parramatta Eels in which he accused the club of negligence and using factional issues as an excuse for poor governance.

The Weekend Australian has obtained Greenberg’s final findings on the Eels’ salary cap scandal, the subject of which is at the centre of an application to seek leave to appeal before former High Court judge Ian Callinan QC.

Greenberg left little room for ambiguity as he rejected the club’s defence and took aim at Parramatta officials over their handling of the salary cap crisis.

In reference to early 2014, when the then board discussed $589,000 and two cars that needed to be secured to meet their commitments, Greenberg said: “The board of the club and its newly installed management were at this stage faced with a choice. They could ensure that the club disclosed to the NRL the undisclosed commitments of which they were being told or they could continue down the path that the club was apparently travelling on. They chose to continue on this path. This is conduct that has the effect of subverting the salary cap.”

Greenberg identified 20 third-party deals that he felt were in contravention of the rules. They totalled $775,000 and involved some of the club’s biggest names. He also slammed the club for its conduct during the salary cap investigation, which ultimately resulted in the Eels being slapped with a $1 million fine and stripped of 12 premiership points.

Parramatta is disputing those sanctions, having placed the blame at the feet of former CEO Scott Seward. “The club’s conduct through the NRL investigation is a matter that troubles me deeply,” Greenberg wrote. “I am prepared to accept on the evidence that the club may not have known the full extent of Mr Seward’s activities while they were occurring but it had a pretty good idea of what he had done after he left and the club’s cover-up of his activities in the face of the NRL investigation is in some respects as bad as his conduct. It provides me with no comfort that the club has understood the extent of its failings.”

The document reveals the additional payments total more than $1.9m over three seasons from 2013. Greenberg notes the figure is an approximation and property quantifying the size of the breach is not possible. The document also reveals the club is more than $170,000 under the cap for this season after termination payments to Anthony Watmough, Nathan Peats and Ryan Morgan.

In reference to Seward and recently resigned chairman Steve Sharp, both of whom signed statutory declarations that the club was under the cap during their time at the helm, Greenberg said: “The evidence is clear in my view that Mr Seward knew the amounts that he was declaring as remuneration were incorrect and incomplete. In relation to Mr Sharp I note that he provided six declarations. He asserts as I understand it he relied on the club’s financial members of staff to make the declarations and, as such, he has satisfied his obligations under the ... rules.”

Greenberg makes no mention of the four directors who avoided sanctions — Tanya Gadiel, Geoff Gerard, Andrew Cordwell and Paul Garrard. Despite walking away untainted by the NRL investigation, all four were forced to resign when NSW Deputy Premier Troy Grant brought in an administrator to take control of the club. There was no sparing the three board members who were deregistered — Sharp, deputy chairman Tom Issa and Peter Serrao.

“Even if it were accepted that the ‘Seward Conduct’ occurred as submitted, the overall impression formed from the submissions is that the club and officials bear no responsibility or ownership of that conduct, apart from ‘regret’ on the part of the club and a grudging acknowledgment of vicarious liability,” Greenberg wrote. “It is important to note that even if it was correct that the principal conduct was solely that of rogue employees ... it is my view that a sanction similar to one that I have imposed would be warranted given the responsibility that the club has for such conduct and the manner in which it kept this conduct hidden from the NRL, despite its knowledge and clear obligation to disclose it to the NRL. In this respect, I am particularly concerned with the false statements that were made to the NRL by officials of the club about their knowledge.

“The notion that it is acceptable for club officials to dissemble or be economical with the truth in their dealings with the salary cap auditor, or with the integrity unit generally, is entirely misconceived.”

“To the extent that club officials may have felt that this was acceptable in the past, they should now be in no doubt that it is not the case now and if they engage in this type of conduct they should expect that it will result in significant penalties being imposed upon them.”
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/5b1405ab154d63b8a835230ffaa34a60

El Diablo

Post Whore
“The board of the club and its newly installed management were at this stage faced with a choice. They could ensure that the club disclosed to the NRL the undisclosed commitments of which they were being told"

naughty Spags

Gronk

Staff member
Seward gets the world's best merkin gong.

Now Todd, how about those transcripts ? Did Seward incriminate you by suggesting that you told him how to do it ?

strider

Post Whore
Seward gets the world's best merkin gong.

Now Todd, how about those transcripts ? Did Seward incriminate you by suggesting that you told him how to do it ?

Greeny said:
... the club’s cover-up ... is in some respects as bad as his (Seward) conduct.

Only in some respects as bad ... Yet not once have you ever publicly mentioned the merkin Greenburg ... why?

Dibs

Bench
No thats Greenburgs response to their submissions ... ie prior to an appeal .... its a great process <roll eyes emoticon>
Seems partial and fair doesn't it? Leak your letter to the media to possibly try to influence the appeal. I don't see why it was needed we look as guilty as anyway

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No thats Greenburgs response to their submissions ... ie prior to an appeal .... its a great process <roll eyes emoticon>

hear ya go
12.gif

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...k/news-story/df8272802fe0a926898a8d51b8dd2930

Eels focusing on Scott Seward-Todd Greenberg link

Parramatta’s legal team has sought to erode former chief executive Scott Seward’s credibility in the appeal against NRL sanctions over the salary cap scandal, claiming he may have made self-incriminating statements in an attempt to spread or deflect blame.

The Australian has obtained the club’s application for leave to appeal their punishment for cap rorting, which is in the hands of the head of the NRL appeals tribunal, Ian Callinan QC.

The application remains afoot, although Parramatta administrator Max Donnelly is considering legal advice on its veracity.

It is widely expected Donnelly will end the club’s fight against the NRL within days, rendering the application null and void.

Seward, whose testimony shaped much of the case brought against the club, is a central component of the Eels’ attempt to mitigate their sanctions — the NRL fined the club $1 million and stripped it of 12 premiership points.

As well as targeting Seward, the club’s legal team once again raised concerns over his relationship with NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg and rejected suggestions the club’s former board had been uncooperative.

In relation to Seward — chief executive at the club from September 2013 to June 2015 — the Eels’ application was scathing. In particular, the club took aim at suggestions by Greenberg that Seward’s evidence carried weight when it was against his own interests.

“It is submitted there is no rule of evidence or common practice that follows this principle,” the club wrote.

“It is perhaps more reasonable to posit that Seward has made self-incriminating statements in an attempt to spread or deflect any blame against himself by embedding his behaviour in the context of an alleged ‘scheme’.

“The extent to which the Seward evidence is accepted is critical to the findings made by the NRL and is, to the extent the decision or determination was based upon this evidence, it is unreasonable or insupportable.”

In relation to claims of an ‘‘undisclosed payments register’’, which was allegedly provided by Seward and detailed the dodgy payments to players, the club openly questions its authenticity given the source.

“The consideration of this document is incredibly significant as the figures provided in the document have informed the salary cap calculation of the club dated 2 May 2016,” the Eels said.

“It is submitted the balance of evidence does not support a conclusion that the club, either acting through the actions of their chairman or collectively, engaged in deliberately deceptive conduct to ‘cover up’ the conduct of Seward.

“It is open to conclude that evidence of probative value which is beneficial to the club has been obtained by the NRL pursuant to their powers of compulsion, not provided to the club and not used to inform more favourable assessment of the facts which are the subject of this breach notice.

“The balance of evidence does not support a conclusion that the club sufficiently understood the nature of the Seward conduct or further that the Seward conduct was understood to primarily relate to subverting the salary cap.”

The club also risks the wrath of the NRL by once again raising the issue of Greenberg’s relationship with Seward — the game’s chief executive was a character reference for the ex-Eels boss.

Greenberg declined the club’s request to remove himself from the decision-making process as he dismissed any suggestion of an apprehended bias due to his previous dealings with Seward.

“The decision maker, being Mr Greenberg, is on record as someone who knows Seward and someone who Seward felt would support his character and integrity to a prospective employer,” the Eels said.

“It is submitted this clearly gives rise to an apprehension of bias irrespective of whether the evidence of Seward is corroborated. Documents and testimony provided by Seward constitute the vast majority of evidence relating to alleged breaches.

“In addition, it appears common ground that Mr Seward was significantly involved in the alleged breaches. In the reasons (for the breach) ... Mr Greenberg responded to the PNRL submissions addressing apprehended bias with no further elaboration than ‘I do not wish to respond to this other than to say that I have no such difficulty’.

“It is submitted this in no way properly addresses the reasonable apprehension of bias.”

The club also rebuts suggestions it had been uncooperative — one of the reasons given for the fine amounting to $1m.

“There is no evidence of any uncooperative behaviour by the club other than responding to the breach notice as allowed by Rule 10(1) of the NRL Rules and by exploring their corporate legal rights as a prudent organisation,” the club said.

eel01s

Bench
"The Australian has obtained the club’s application for leave to appeal". NRL has more leaks than Parra.