What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels v Week One Finals Team List Thread

hindy111

Post Whore
My side would suprise a few but wont be picked.

Auvau would be dropped for the safer Hoffman.
Bevan in for Smith
Vave out for Frank

Finals games and a guy like Frank bring experience. Vave will get slowed down by storms defense too much.
Auvau defensive liability will outway his attack. Not that his attacks great just his run backs.
Bevans a no brainer.

Not sure if fit what Peni would bring. I like the guy a lot but he hasnt played. Id stick with Matagi.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Bellamy is right - we do lay over the ruck inside the 20m. We seem to have that train of thought that we'll back our line defense so it's ok to give away a penalty in order to set our line or shut down momentum of the opposition.

Remember, we almost had a player binned against the Broncos for it
Cronulla and the Roosters have been doing this for years as well.

We do this as well and we make the top 4. So it looks like it's good tactics.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Looking at the results this year, the only team that has troubled a full strength Storm twice is Sharks.

So what do they do better than others ?

hindy111

Post Whore
Looking at the results this year, the only team that has troubled a full strength Storm twice is Sharks.

So what do they do better than others ?

Tough. They have Gallen,lewis,Graheme,Fafita. They bash their forwards.

Need to keep them down their end with a good kick chase and dont give away penalties. Bedt we grind and keep it tight for 30mins. Then just open the game up.

Eelementary

Post Whore
My side would suprise a few but wont be picked.

Auvau would be dropped for the safer Hoffman.
Bevan in for Smith
Vave out for Frank

Finals games and a guy like Frank bring experience. Vave will get slowed down by storms defense too much.
Auvau defensive liability will outway his attack. Not that his attacks great just his run backs.
Bevans a no brainer.

Not sure if fit what Peni would bring. I like the guy a lot but he hasnt played. Id stick with Matagi.

I actually agree with you, mate.

I like Auva'a's speed and power, but his inability to catch bombs will cost us.

hindy111

Post Whore
Storm have won 11 games by 8 points or less and loss 2 games by 8 points or less.
Do you consider 8 points a dominant win?

Eelementary

Post Whore
We are also salary cap cheats. Remember?

We also slow down the ruck. Last time I checked lots of other teams do as well.

Because he has just pissed off the best coach in the game and he happens to coach the best team in the game.

Spoken like a man with his Blue and Gold glasses on. Every fan thinks their team is constantly dudded by the refs. I have watched every game this year and I reckon the dodgy 50-50 calls ended up being exactly that, 50-50. We have had plenty of good calls go our way.

That's exactly the reason why I thought it wasn't clever. Why would we want to fire them up? Our best chance is to keep things low key and steal their lunch money when they aren't looking.

If he is genuinely concerned about Melbourne's tactics, wouldn't it be more sensible to quietly campaign behind the scenes?

Some good points.

I guess what Arthur was trying to do, maybe, was get the Storm fired up; it's not uncommon to see even the most professional athletes lose their cool because of emotion.

No doubt that Arthur was also frustrated that we again got caned in the penalty count.

I have no time for Bellamy - I think despite being the best of the best, he's a whiny twat -, but I think he was within his rights to fire back then.

Still - it's kinda funny that he's complaining about us falling asleep on tackles players, when Melbourne practically invented the tactic under his guidance.

hindy111

Post Whore
Some good points.

I guess what Arthur was trying to do, maybe, was get the Storm fired up; it's not uncommon to see even the most professional athletes lose their cool because of emotion.

No doubt that Arthur was also frustrated that we again got caned in the penalty count.

I have no time for Bellamy - I think despite being the best of the best, he's a whiny twat -, but I think he was within his rights to fire back then.

Still - it's kinda funny that he's complaining about us falling asleep on tackles players, when Melbourne practically invented the tactic under his guidance.

Bellamy started it 7 weeks ago when we beat them. He complained then.
BA got in first. One quick comment. Bellamy carried on for 2mins. It hit a nerve.
Do you think BA saying nothing would have them less fired up? Of course not. You do down there. You call them cheats. You mock them. You frustrate them.
All teams give away penalties inside the 20. For the reason it only cost you a few extra tackles. Same as Cam smith always has a 2min chat with reffs to buy his team time. For me that should be 5 in bin. And if you give away a penalty inside 20 i reckon 1 players should be sidelined for that set of six.
But the rules need to be changed. Same goes for 7 tackle sets. Your penalising a team for being aggressive in attack.

hindy111

Post Whore
7 tackle sets are the dumbest rule change ever. They are already getting ball from 20. Its basically giving it to them on 30. And why? What has the team done so wrong? Its like a penalty for not getting kick right. Stupidity and give the team defending the upper hand.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Cronulla and the Roosters have been doing this for years as well.

We do this as well and we make the top 4. So it looks like it's good tactics.
So when we do it it's 'good tactics' but when the Storm do it they 'change the game for the worse'....hmmmm