What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels vs Titans Game Day Thread

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Could our right side defence have been bad because of Frank Pritchard playing longer minutes? I can't remember Taka rushing in that hard when he had Moeroa on the inside.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
3 wins from 8 is less than OK IMO
We also tested the Sharks and Canberra, so 4 from 8 or 5 from out with that many out looks like a great effort.

Last night was disgusting, just when you thought we are turning the corner in becoming a mentally tough team that are hard to beat every week we put in a gold medal spoon performance.

lingard

Coach
I'm not too worried by the result. We are probably underestimating Corey Norman. I think we are looking at a guy who is as influential on our team as Hayne was or Thurston is. Take him out and we're a different side altogether. Add to that a fullback and five-eight and hooker who are very inexperienced in their positions at NRL level, and it's not surprising that we were disorganised and fell in a heap. Our fullback and five-eight will get much better at controlling things as the season progresses. Like I've been saying all along, this year is where we look carefully at how things progress (will Gutherson improve so much that we don't need to buy another half? Will he become a reliable goal-kicker? Will Kaysa Pritchard stand up and tell us we don't need to buy a hooker?, etc, etc). Then we cover whatever recruitment we need to. Next year we have a real shot at the premiership.

lingard

Coach
We are still a team with only one genuine superstar. We were the same with Hayne, we are now the same with Norman. I hope this team doesn't intend to roll over everytime Norman's injured this year.

I think that would be a fair comment if the circumstances were different. But have a look at the rest of our spine. French, Gutherson and Pritchard. They are all extremely inexperienced in there positions at NRL level. All very good players, but in terms of positional sense and game management - forget it. But they should all improve significantly as the seasons go on.

strider

Post Whore
Win 14/03/17
16:18 Multibet (Doubles) 17/03/17 8.21 $35.00 $287.53
Win
Rugby League - NRL

Canterbury Bulldogs v New Zealand Warriors
Head to Head
Canterbury Bulldogs
@ $2.65 (Win)
Date: 17/03/2017 18:01
Full Results >
Win
Rugby League - NRL

Gold Coast Titans v Parramatta Eels
Head to Head
Gold Coast Titans
@ $3.10 (Win)
Date: 17/03/2017 20:06
Full Results >
ID: O/1156207/0001021/D
Bet Type: Multibet
Price: $8.21
Stake per lines: $35.00
Number of lines: 1
Total Stake: $35.00
Bonus Bet Redeemed: $0.00
Returns: $287.53
Placed On: 14/03/17 16:18
Channel: SB Mobile

Win 14/03/17
16:18 Gold Coast Titans v Parramatta Eels
Head to Head
Gold Coast Titans @ 3.10 17/03/17 3.10 $30.12 $93.37
ID: O/1156207/0001020/D
Bet: Gold Coast Titans
Bet Type: Single
Price: $3.10 (Win)
Total Stake: $30.12
Bonus Bet Redeemed: $0.00
Returns: $93.37
Sport: Rugby League - NRL
Event: Gold Coast Titans v Parramatta Eels
Market: Head to Head
Placed On: 14/03/17 16:18
Channel: SB Mobile
Event Date: 17/03/2017 20:06
26 14
Full Results
You wagered $30.12? .... i would have gone 13c tbh

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We are still a team with only one genuine superstar. We were the same with Hayne, we are now the same with Norman. I hope this team doesn't intend to roll over everytime Norman's injured this year.
Most teams only have one genuine superstar, if that. The Cowboys never win without Thurston, the Storm never win without Smith, etc, etc.

Haynzy

First Grade
giphy.gif

It's alright. Best get the kinks out of the way early so that you can fix them as soon as possible.

I know it's a bit of a reach but it wouldn't totally surprise me if Brad Arthur deliberately left the players directionless last night, ala Daniel Anderson vs St George.

He knew we'd be underdone due to the 5 day turnaround. Maybe the boys were getting a bit cocky and believing the press after beating a couple of teams that probably won't trouble the top of the table all season.
He knew Hayne was out so took the chance to rest Norman, perhaps thinking it was a good opportunity to see where Gutho is at when it comes to controlling a game. He left O'Brien off, forcing the forwards to play tired. He may have even given some instructions that put us at a disadvantage, ie Taka jamming in every time.

It's probably not the case but you never know, BA seems to be a bit of a thinker and may be playing with the boys mentally whilst taking pressure off them that they may have felt if they were three from three. Golden State were undone in the NBA last year after expending too much energy in achieving largely meaningless records like the longest run of unbeaten games.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I know it's a bit of a reach but it wouldn't totally surprise me if Brad Arthur deliberately left the players directionless last night, ala Daniel Anderson vs St George.

He knew we'd be underdone due to the 5 day turnaround. Maybe the boys were getting a bit cocky and believing the press after beating a couple of teams that probably won't trouble the top of the table all season.
He knew Hayne was out so took the chance to rest Norman, perhaps thinking it was a good opportunity to see where Gutho is at when it comes to controlling a game. He left O'Brien off, forcing the forwards to play tired. He may have even given some instructions that put us at a disadvantage, ie Taka jamming in every time.

It's probably not the case but you never know, BA seems to be a bit of a thinker and may be playing with the boys mentally whilst taking pressure off them that they may have felt if they were three from three. Golden State were undone in the NBA last year after expending too much energy in achieving largely meaningless records like the longest run of unbeaten games.
Gee I love BA as much as anyone, but that's the most positive spin on a debacle I have ever heard. I think we just played shit, full stop, much like Penrith in week one. We'll be ok.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm sure Arthur's wanted the two points. We were up against a fairly evenly matched team (some of their players are better than some of ours) and the guys they had out were replaced by decent backups. No Hayne meant more ball for Taylor/Elgey, and no Peats meant they had a more dangerous dummy half in Roberts. They also had some luck and took it. They were also playing at home and got the home team calls, plus they were desperate coming off two straight losses.

Haynzy

First Grade
Gee I love BA as much as anyone, but that's the most positive spin on a debacle I have ever heard. I think we just played shit, full stop, much like Penrith in week one. We'll be ok.

Yeah I know.

I don't think he tanked but perhaps put them under more pressure than needed in a game that he thinks may not matter too much in the greater scheme. Building resilience before we play some of the serious contenders.

Haynzy

First Grade
I'm sure Arthur's wanted the two points. We were up against a fairly evenly matched team (some of their players are better than some of ours) and the guys they had out were replaced by decent backups. No Hayne meant more ball for Taylor/Elgey, and no Peats meant they had a more dangerous dummy half in Roberts. They also had some luck and took it. They were also playing at home and got the home team calls, plus they were desperate coming off two straight losses.

I'm not sure I agree with your earlier appraisal on why O'Brien didn't play but I can't think why he left him off all game.

Dibs

Bench
No Norman = no wins. As long as you aren't blind you'd see this.
Norman's absence was not the reason we lost, that's not to say if he played we still don't win but we should have won that game even without Norman. I think if we halved our error rate we would have won

Last edited:

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Yeah I know.

I don't think he tanked but perhaps put them under more pressure than needed in a game that he thinks may not matter too much in the greater scheme. Building resilience before we play some of the serious contenders.
I want to think you're right, I really do. I'm also not sure why windscreens was left off. I guess a coach has to decide if a bench player will improve what's already out there, and he probably wouldn't have. We weren't getting busted up by their forward pack.

Latest posts