What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emerging Nations World Cup

girvie

Staff member
Would it be worthwhile to revive the Emerging Nations World Cup?

It would be great to see the teams that miss out on the world cup have a further opportunity to play in some competitive matches. It could result in some very close games and further development for these nations.

Cook Islands, Ireland, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, Scotland, USA competed in 1995 and Canada, Italy, Japan, Morocco, USA and BARLA competed in 2000.

Potential teams could include:
Belgium
Canada
Cook Islands
Czeck Republic
Denmark
Germany
Greece
Jamaica
Japan
Latin Heat
Malta
Netherlands
Norway
Philippines
Russia
Serbia
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
Ukraine

Misanthrope

Staff member
If the funding were there to get them to one host location to participate, I think it would be a great idea. Not sure the money is there to fund it though :(

And even if they had the cash I think I'd sooner see them put it into a world nines with as many teams as possible, qualifiers if necessary and prize money. The best bet for the teams outside the top 14 or 16 would be a nines tournament because:
- they get to play the big boys
- they only need to compete for 18 mins
- they only need maybe a dozen players
- they can focus on nines domestically in the lead-up, which the top teams won't.
- keeps costs down because its one venue, one weekend.

Last Week

Bench
And even if they had the cash I think I'd sooner see them put it into a world nines with as many teams as possible, qualifiers if necessary and prize money. The best bet for the teams outside the top 14 or 16 would be a nines tournament because:
- they get to play the big boys
- they only need to compete for 18 mins
- they only need maybe a dozen players
- they can focus on nines domestically in the lead-up, which the top teams won't.
- keeps costs down because its one venue, one weekend.

I agree. I do think that it shouldn't be the pinnacle for the emerging nations however. They should have a proper tournament they can realistically aspire to be competitive in. But a massive Nines tournament involving as many nations as possible should definitely be on the calender.

It wouldn't be the pinnacle. The WC is still the pinnacle but this is a way of having more teams represented at a big event. The top 16 will make the WC but maybe 24 could play in the nines tournament because its one weekend. However, maybe it would end up being a big event for some countries because they might be good at nines, like Fiji in RU sevens. Say, Russia might be brilliant at nines because they decide to play it more domestically in order to do well internationally and because they struggle to make the WC. It won't hurt their full test team in the long run anyway.

yakstorm

First Grade
Unfortunately I think the Emerging Nations World Cup is a cost we can't afford to take on. Even if we limit it to six teams like 95/2000 it simply adds more flights and venue costs to the tournament with little revenue opportunities.

Honestly it is easier to sell tickets and TV rights for extra RLWC matches than anything with Emerging on it.

Instead it would be better to use the money to invest in either new international tournaments like World Nines or Confederation Cup; or alternatively in more region based international events to give those nations more exposure.

I know for someone like Jamaica, they would get more benefit playing USA and Canada every year than making an emerging World Cup.

The Partisan

Have always liked the idea of an 'exhibition' Emerging Nations game be granted to a regional city on the eve of the RLWC final.

Something like say Serbia v South Africa played in Toowoomba if the final was in Bne, or played in Gosford in final in Sydney, Salford if final in Manchester, or an NZ equivalent for Auckland.

Gives the locals and visitors of a regional venue a game with the opportunity to host a game and then still travel to the final next day.

paulmac

Juniors
Unfortunately I think the Emerging Nations World Cup is a cost we can't afford to take on. Even if we limit it to six teams like 95/2000 it simply adds more flights and venue costs to the tournament with little revenue opportunities.

Honestly it is easier to sell tickets and TV rights for extra RLWC matches than anything with Emerging on it.

Instead it would be better to use the money to invest in either new international tournaments like World Nines or Confederation Cup; or alternatively in more region based international events to give those nations more exposure.

I know for someone like Jamaica, they would get more benefit playing USA and Canada every year than making an emerging World Cup.

With due respect Yakstorm you say an Emerging nations World Cup is a cost we can't afford yet we can afford to run seperate Police,Armed Forces,Students and Women's WC in the same year.Cost shouldn't be the reason not to have this comp.

Emu01

Juniors
I like the idea of a 9's weekend of emerging nations to be staged say the weekend before the World Cup kicks off..it will get everyone pumped for the World Cup.

Surely they could afford to stage one weekend of games for emerging nations,this would give them something to strive for..

Sell the tv rights to Foxtel and there you have your money to host an emerging nations tournament..

yakstorm

First Grade
With due respect Yakstorm you say an Emerging nations World Cup is a cost we can't afford yet we can afford to run seperate Police,Armed Forces,Students and Women's WC in the same year.Cost shouldn't be the reason not to have this comp.

We're not really comparing apples with apples here. First off,it is actually easier to get funding for these tournaments from relevant government groups than an Emerging Nations tournament simply because they are involving the host nation. There is actually funding for things like international Armed Forces sport and Police Sport here in Aus and in New Zealand.

Secondly, the types of teams which make up the core spots in the tournament, Australia, New Zealand, England/GB, these teams are able to fund their own way to the tournament, and in some cases, these nations have help subsidise the other participants to help reduce their costs.

These two things help reduce the cost for these tournaments to the RLIF. Now that's not to say you couldn't find money for an Emerging Nations tournament, but as I said before, to me for a number of these nations if its a choice between spending a dollar on sending a team to some second tier tournament in Australia which is going to get zero media, or providing a dollar for either a local international or help fund domestic operations, I know most of these nations would prefer the funds to help their on the ground efforts to help secure regular internationals versus a one off event and then nothing for 4 years.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Folow the lead of the other major sports and you can't go too wrong.

Have an U20s (or other age) WC with the likes of serbia, russia, rsa, etc.
there's a hell of a lot of gov funding for emerging athletes etc.
That would do a lot more good than having australia a playing 12 times in an emerging wc.

paulmac

Juniors
We're not really comparing apples with apples here. First off,it is actually easier to get funding for these tournaments from relevant government groups than an Emerging Nations tournament simply because they are involving the host nation. There is actually funding for things like international Armed Forces sport and Police Sport here in Aus and in New Zealand.

Secondly, the types of teams which make up the core spots in the tournament, Australia, New Zealand, England/GB, these teams are able to fund their own way to the tournament, and in some cases, these nations have help subsidise the other participants to help reduce their costs.

These two things help reduce the cost for these tournaments to the RLIF. Now that's not to say you couldn't find money for an Emerging Nations tournament, but as I said before, to me for a number of these nations if its a choice between spending a dollar on sending a team to some second tier tournament in Australia which is going to get zero media, or providing a dollar for either a local international or help fund domestic operations, I know most of these nations would prefer the funds to help their on the ground efforts to help secure regular internationals versus a one off event and then nothing for 4 years.

Police and Armed Forces would be directly or indirectly funded by government.No reason the RLWC organising committee couldn't approach govt about funding by playing the harmony day angle- bringing communities together thru sport.AFL manages to stage an amateur International Cup, no reason RL can't.

Hinckseman

Juniors
Aussies are doing a great job.
I hope we are going to win
Score tries, get it, win this game and walk away.
Meninga is a great coach. Paul Gallon has to score the tries and get more penalties
My name is Chris Hinckesman and the score last night was 16 -0

adamkungl

Immortal
Bump.

https://www.generosity.com/sports-fundraising/emerging-nations-feasibility-assessment-report

I'm surprised to find sentiment fairly negative about this here. What would the costs involved be?
A lot of participants might be willing to fund their own travel costs, this is fairly common in amateur sports.

Grounds are already booked for the World Cup, these games could be curtain raisers giving fans more bang for their buck, or played around regional venues, or played in a central location like the Women's WC.

Seems to me like it would be a relatively inexpensive exercise and would give non-qualifying nations something to aspire to.
I would add the stipulation that it should be an domestic or amateur-only event, or at least part way towards that, to keep the focus on developing the sport.

Potentially

Spain CookIsl Germany Niue
Russia Jamaica Ukraine Norway
Serbia Belgium Greece Philippines
Canada Malta Denmark SouthAfrica

DlEHARD

Juniors
I chipped in to fund this weeks ago. I'd love to see one. I still remember the old ones fondly. I'd volunteer, attend and help.

Force

Juniors
Would it be worthwhile to revive the Emerging Nations World Cup?

It would be great to see the teams that miss out on the world cup have a further opportunity to play in some competitive matches. It could result in some very close games and further development for these nations.

Cook Islands, Ireland, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, Scotland, USA competed in 1995 and Canada, Italy, Japan, Morocco, USA and BARLA competed in 2000.

Potential teams could include:
Belgium
Canada
Cook Islands
Czeck Republic
Denmark
Germany
Greece
Jamaica
Japan
Latin Heat
Malta
Netherlands
Norway
Philippines
Russia
Serbia
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
Ukraine
I reckon an Emerging Nations tournament should have all domestic players only. Maybe only two or three heritage or PRO players, all the rest amateur.

Latest posts