What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emerging Nations World Cup

adamkungl

Immortal
I think an emerging nations cup is redundant if you have a proper wcq with a proper governing body and proper grass roots development in each RLIF member nation.

Let's be honest. The proposal was for puppet nations like Malta, Philippines, Thailand and Niue to have a run around.

Malta has hosted test matches in the last year
Philippines and Thailand have started domestic comps off the back of their Australian operations.

Jesus, even supposed fans of it dont respect the international game..

DlEHARD

Juniors
Hong Kong isn't a puppet nation, they tour, they have a Nines comp, they have a thriving Tag league and they will debut a domestic league this year.

deal.with.it

Juniors
If you want actual development have an U19s WC. Then make these nations develop their grassroots. Why have an emerging WC? What not develop domestically and earn the right to compete in WCQ? These nations based in Aus mean well. They really do. But having 8 Australian teams play each other does what for the sport in those countries? At most there will be a newspaper article.

Arucard

Juniors
Why do you think giving developing nations a decent stage to compete on is a waste of money, considering it was self-funded and didn't require anything much but permission from the RLIF?
Takes away from the actual event. Money better spent on development elsewhere. Teams had their chance to qualify to the main event.

Our World Cup struggles for attention enough. Do we really need an incident to happen during a tournament like this to take focus away from the Cup proper?

By all means organize a tournament the following year under a different name. Let it earn sponsorship and recognition in its own right. Not coat tailing off our main event.

jim_57

Staff member
I tend to agree that if such a tournament takes places it should be more official with qualifiers, not invitationals/applicants. Any team involved in the RLWC qualifiers automatically qualifies then a few regional qualifiers to make up the numbers.

I'm still not entirely sure it is the best way to utilize the money it would cost for developing nations.

Arucard

Juniors
How dare Rugby League coat tail off Rugby League.
Seriously?.............
Perhaps you should try running and organizing the sport somewhere. Then see how you feel.
Maybe then you could come up with reasons that something like this needs to be run along side the main event.
If something was to happen and the media blasted it and took away coverage from the WC proper, You'd be ok with that?

adamkungl

Immortal
Seriously?.............

Silly response to a silly statement.

Perhaps you should try running and organizing the sport somewhere. Then see how you feel.
Maybe then you could come up with reasons that something like this needs to be run along side the main event.

Sorry didn't know you were running the RLIF

If something was to happen and the media blasted it and took away coverage from the WC proper, You'd be ok with that?

What is this even supposed to mean? If something was to happen? As has been said numerous times, we are already running 3 secondary events alongside the World Cup.

Arucard

Juniors
Silly response to a silly statement.

Sorry didn't know you were running the RLIF

What is this even supposed to mean? If something was to happen? As has been said numerous times, we are already running 3 secondary events alongside the World Cup.
Silly response..... Come on, grow up. I am presuming you're an adult here.
I'm running the RLIF? Oh, ok.......... another silly response. So what development work are you doing for nations overseas?
Eligibility, score blow outs, player behavior, teams like Latin Heat under a WC banner, etc....... Why would you want something the could take away from our main event?
You're seriously going to compare a developing women's WC, to a tournament for teams that failed to qualify?
I get that you're wanting more games and opportunities for developing nations, but this is not the way to go about it yet. I'm actually on the ground doing development work (or running the RLIF as you put it).
You should put up reasons why you think this needs to be played along side the WC proper. You should show reasons for countries sending teams. You should show how this is all to be paid for, including prize money etc.

adamkungl

Immortal
Silly response..... Come on, grow up. I am presuming you're an adult here.
I'm running the RLIF? Oh, ok.......... another silly response. So what development work are you doing for nations overseas?
Eligibility, score blow outs, player behavior, teams like Latin Heat under a WC banner, etc....... Why would you want something the could take away from our main event?
You're seriously going to compare a developing women's WC, to a tournament for teams that failed to qualify?
I get that you're wanting more games and opportunities for developing nations, but this is not the way to go about it yet. I'm actually on the ground doing development work (or running the RLIF as you put it).
You should put up reasons why you think this needs to be played along side the WC proper. You should show reasons for countries sending teams. You should show how this is all to be paid for, including prize money etc.

Whether you or I work in RL is neither here nor there. I'm allowed to have an opinion without working in the game, and your opinion isn't the deciding factor in whether an international tournament goes ahead just because you do. It's about as useful as saying "don't see you playing NRL" if someone criticises a player or coach, ie. nonsense.

Anyway I might not be, but people on the EN organising committee ARE involved in actual development work.
The proposal was made and approved and then rejected months later. National teams were planning to send teams.

I'm not debating feasibility here - the question is 'Assuming enough nations are willing and able (self-funded or sponsored) to send teams, should an Emerging Nations Cup go ahead parallel to the World Cup?'.

I honestly don't see how it could detract from the main event, cross promotion would favour both events. It would increase international interest in the World Cup proper while offering sponsorship opportunities and a standard of play far higher than usually on offer for emerging nations. It would not attract as much notice played in another year.

It would be a park footy comp out the back of western Sydney with nobodies playing just for the sake of the game, it couldn't detract from the WC any more than the wheelchair blokes or students can.

Arucard

Juniors
Whether you or I work in RL is neither here nor there. I'm allowed to have an opinion without working in the game, and your opinion isn't the deciding factor in whether an international tournament goes ahead just because you do. It's about as useful as saying "don't see you playing NRL" if someone criticises a player or coach, ie. nonsense.

Anyway I might not be, but people on the EN organising committee ARE involved in actual development work.
The proposal was made and approved and then rejected months later. National teams were planning to send teams.

I honestly don't see how it could detract from the main event, cross promotion would favour both events. It would be a park footy comp out the back of western Sydney with nobodies playing just for the sake of the game.
So where is the reward for RL in this case if it's just a park footy comp? Most developing countries would be better off in localized tournaments. Maybe even having the winners of those tournaments meeting in a small comp to decide a world winner.
So again, why couldn't we play this next year when it can become it's own thing?

adamkungl

Immortal
So where is the reward for RL in this case if it's just a park footy comp? Most developing countries would be better off in localized tournaments. Maybe even having the winners of those tournaments meeting in a small comp to decide a world winner.
So again, why couldn't we play this next year when it can become it's own thing?

Lower standard. Lower recognition. Can't they have the opportunity to decide for themselves whether it's worth their time and money?

yakstorm

First Grade
I was never a fan of the ENWC for a number of reasons that I listed at the start of the thread, that said considering how much work had been done to pull together the tournament, the number of nations which had invested time / resources and money into it, the manner in which it was cancelled was disgusting.

The people behind the tournament involved people from the NRL, RLWC and RLIF from the start. The nations taking part had paid a bond, to the RLIF, to commit their spot and had been told that the event was being supported by the RLIF.

These nations had organised sponsors, were drawing players and some nations were even having government sports officials fly over to see the event.

The fact it was cancelled less than a day before the official media launch and after all this work had been done (under the impression that it was all fine) for me showcases why we as a sport struggle so much internationally.

So much damage could have been limited if the event was knocked back at the start or instead commitments weren't made that never should have.

I just hope that the fallout from this is not too large and doesn't kill off any nations.

adamkungl

Immortal
I was never a fan of the ENWC for a number of reasons that I listed at the start of the thread, that said considering how much work had been done to pull together the tournament, the number of nations which had invested time / resources and money into it, the manner in which it was cancelled was disgusting.

The people behind the tournament involved people from the NRL, RLWC and RLIF from the start. The nations taking part had paid a bond, to the RLIF, to commit their spot and had been told that the event was being supported by the RLIF.

These nations had organised sponsors, were drawing players and some nations were even having government sports officials fly over to see the event.

The fact it was cancelled less than a day before the official media launch and after all this work had been done (under the impression that it was all fine) for me showcases why we as a sport struggle so much internationally.

So much damage could have been limited if the event was knocked back at the start or instead commitments weren't made that never should have.

I just hope that the fallout from this is not too large and doesn't kill off any nations.

This is the point I've been trying to make.

Did anyone see the RLW article this week?

latingringo101

Juniors

Just about sums up how we felt.

To be told one thing, start preparing for it and then at the last minute be told it's cancelled basically tore us to shreds.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Just about sums up how we felt.

To be told one thing, start preparing for it and then at the last minute be told it's cancelled basically tore us to shreds.
You don't need a fake 'emerging nations' comp to organize your own matches while the WC is taking place? If yourself and other Aus-based groups want to stage matches then nothing is stopping you from doing that, you can even compete as Latin Heat that way.