What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England in New Zealand: 5 game ODI series - ENGLAND WIN SERIES 3-2

Iafeta

Referee
I don't like NZs depth.

Fact is Southee has underperformed for years, yet can't be dropped because who else is there.

Munro and CDG, they proved this series when the going got tough they lacked half a brain between them. I can't begin to fathom how diabolical CDG batted.

Mark Killa Chapman came in and was horribly exposed at this level. He looked like a nervous baby deer stuck in the headlights with nowhere to go. Surely George Worker deserved to be in his place. George has done a good job when he's been pulled in.

Latham remains an underachiever. Two great innings. The rest he looked completely clueless.

Trent Boult is extremely inconsistent. Sometimes a world beater. Other times complete and utter trash.

The middle orders complete inability to play average spin was really telling.

Only Williamson, Santner and Taylor come out of this series with their heads held high.

I've said that the Pakistan and West Indian series masked some severe short falls. The problem is that there is a real lack of depth to come and kickstart this side. I fear the day when Ross retires frankly.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't like NZs depth.

Fact is Southee has underperformed for years, yet can't be dropped because who else is there.

Munro and CDG, they proved this series when the going got tough they lacked half a brain between them. I can't begin to fathom how diabolical CDG batted.

Mark Killa Chapman came in and was horribly exposed at this level. He looked like a nervous baby deer stuck in the headlights with nowhere to go. Surely George Worker deserved to be in his place. George has done a good job when he's been pulled in.

Latham remains an underachiever. Two great innings. The rest he looked completely clueless.

Trent Boult is extremely inconsistent. Sometimes a world beater. Other times complete and utter trash.

The middle orders complete inability to play average spin was really telling.

Only Williamson, Santner and Taylor come out of this series with their heads held high.

I've said that the Pakistan and West Indian series masked some severe short falls. The problem is that there is a real lack of depth to come and kickstart this side. I fear the day when Ross retires frankly.

What happened to Adam Milne? Had his issues but was reasonably quick and I definitely think that's one thing the attack lacks. Neil Wagner?

From the outside looking in I don't think Munro is an opener...it's the classic NZ issue though isn't it? With Munro, Nicholls, Santner, De BigMan there's just a lot of bits and pieces cricketers. And I mean that in a reasonably kind way, they're all good cricketers but can you have four of them in a side? I don't think so

JJ

Immortal
Milne is coming back from injury again

We have never had depth, never will it's as good as ever ATM

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Kiwis have dropped back to our level in odis.

England still have some problems, I really think their batting approach will implode at some point in the big games of the world cup. Morgan isn't the bat he used to be and should swap spots with Buttler.

India with King cutie Kohli are the team to beat for mine at the next WC. He's a beast and covers them carrying Dhoni.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Milne is coming back from injury again

We have never had depth, never will it's as good as ever ATM

There is more depth than usual, it is what is happening to it that matters.

Milne bowled slow in India and played his way out of the team at 130to135km/h meaning Fergusson after his bright season start returned to the fore. Bennett keeps injuring himself everytime he makes a big push for higher honours. Kuggs, at 140km/h keeps injuring himself or leaking big runs when right on the cusp of selection.

I think this series was a step in the right direction for Latham, but could he have gone any further backward in NZ and not been dropped for sure? Santner should take a lot of positives away from his batting efforts into building more self-confidence. Munro's 6th option bowling is very useful even if his batting needs a lot more consistency. CDG I think will be under real pressure from Corey when he returns, and if he can get through 10 overs consistently, Munro has to be scoring runs to not be dropped.

Worker only seems to score square on both sides of the wicket. This is a problem for him to have a long international career as it makes for a simpler bowling plan and field settings to contain and dismiss him. NZ has a plan of swift starts with Munro who had a poor series of execution, but he also provides good 6th bowling options.

I have nothing to say on Nicholls that has not been widely said by everyone else. If he is the best bat we have, then there really isn't much around right now besides recalling Ryder, which won't likely happen. With Nicholls in the team and not scoring runs, CDG not bowling his full quota nor scoring more runs,and Munro struggling for runs, the team appears incomplete from the ideal. But Latham did better than usual.

NZ rely way too much on Gup, KW and Ross with the bat in ODI. But Santner and Latham provided more runs this series than we have gotten from them or their substitutes of late. I would give Munro more chances. Nicholls, well, I just hope someone in domestic does something good enough to replace him in the team, the answer is not Chapman yet. And Corey, well I hope he comes back in 2015 type form and just knocks CDG out of the ODI team. I still prefer CDG to Corey in tests, though.

Last edited: